V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed a Rivco centerstand on their bagger? If so, is the quality and ease of operation good? Is the centerstand very noticeable or unsightly while in the up (retracted) position? Any interference with other parts underneath the frame or exhaust while the centerstand is retracted? Thanks for responses.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Put one on mine. Was very good quality, and pefect fit. Fairly easy to put bike up on it. Once installed, it is not noticable at all--only the foot prop sticks out the side.

·
Registered
378 Posts
McClendons said:
Put one on mine. Was very good quality, and pefect fit. Fairly easy to put bike up on it. Once installed, it is not noticable at all--only the foot prop sticks out the side.
I don't need one anymore but am curious. You say it is "Fairly" easy to put bike on it. Does that mean you have to be off the bike to get it onto the stand or can you do it while straddling the bike, like the HD ones? I almost lost a dresser when I tried putting it on the HD stand by standing next to the bike. Didn't get it back all the way the first time and when it rolled back down it over balanced away from me. I just about dropped it. Then I learned to do it by staying on the bike. If this is the one I've seen advertised, it looks like it's behind you under the passenger seat. Don't think you could mount it while on the bike. Again, just curious.

Thanks....

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The Rivco stand is like a true center stand. You stand beside the bike, put your foot on the lever and lift the bike onto the stand while pushing down with your right foot.
The H-D model is not a center stand only a verticel support stand and is fairly worthless in my opinion.
The Rivco gets the wheel off the ground which is what you are after if you are using a center stand. It is compairable to the center stand that is standard equipement on most bikes except H-D.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I'm with Little Bear, the Rivco is a much more user friendly stand than the one from the MOCO.. You can't use the oil cooler either with the MOCO one.
Once you know how to work the MOCO one, you will be fine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well, I disagree with both opinions but that's beside the point. You answered my question. You have to be off the bike to get it up on the stand.

Thanks....

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
What does the center stand attach to? Is it the cross member refered to i the AD? Does this render the cross member useless when using a lift. I currently use the cross member to support the bike when on top of my Sears lift.
Thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a Rivco center stand as well. High quality, etal. I find it rather difficult to get up:yikes: (did i say that?)

Will probably take it off some day and sell it.

Don't think its any issue with design, just that the bikes so effing heavy.

greg

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i was at a swap meet a few weeks ago and one of the venders had a table full of them. i didn't ask why he had so many i just figgured they were a POS.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
RustyG said:
What does the center stand attach to? Is it the cross member refered to i the AD? Does this render the cross member useless when using a lift. I currently use the cross member to support the bike when on top of my Sears lift.
Thanks in advance,

John

The center cross member on HD's is made out of soft steel. Mine won't take any pressure at all. How do you use your cross menber for lifting?

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
newultraclassic said:
The center cross member on HD's is made out of soft steel. Mine won't take any pressure at all. How do you use your cross menber for lifting?
Very simple. I slide the lift under the bike from the right side, positioning one of the lift rails in direct alignment with the cross member. It fits just fine. After than I just pump it up.
That is my original question which was what does the center stand attach to? Will this center stand interfere with my lift operation. No one has come up with an answer yet to my question.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My memory says there are two frame rails under the engine. On mine, there were already pre -drilled holes where the center stand bolted to. Bolted up like it was designed by the factory. If I use a jack to lift the bike (onr of the Sears motorcycle types) I just position it around the center stand. never really noticed any issue, although I have had it on so long I am used to it.

The reason I got it in the 1st place was for checking/adding air to the rear tire, and cleaning the rear wheel.

I guessI quit doing both over the last couple years:ntlgh:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
gbenner said:
My memory says there are two frame rails under the engine. On mine, there were already pre -drilled holes where the center stand bolted to. Bolted up like it was designed by the factory. If I use a jack to lift the bike (onr of the Sears motorcycle types) I just position it around the center stand. never really noticed any issue, although I have had it on so long I am used to it.

The reason I got it in the 1st place was for checking/adding air to the rear tire, and cleaning the rear wheel.

I guessI quit doing both over the last couple years:ntlgh:
gbenner. Thanks for the info. It was what I was looking for.

Regards,

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts