V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

Wondering if you have heard of a TC88 needing new rings and valve seals in the front cylinder after only 20,000 miles? Dealer did a compression/leakdown test today and diagnosed the rings. Spark plug in that cyl. was black with carbon.

Bike is a 2005 Electra Glide Classic. Always change the oil at 5,000 miles and use Mobil V-Twin.

Any feedback is apppreciated. Have a great weekend!

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks for the info....glad I got my extended warranty now. Didn't realize the issue with the seals.

Dealer will fix both issues front cyl. only though. HD won't pay for what ain't broke!

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
springer- said:
The valve seals are a problem on the '05s and early '06s.

Here is some more info about it ... http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/showthread.php?t=90
tore down an 07 fxdwg and it had leaky seals at 5000 miles. it was one of first 07 bikes sold in this area FWIW.

those heads were sent to bigboyz for porting, customer is still happy after 8000 miles on build.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had same valve seal problem on my 05 RK Classic at 10K. Dealer replaced seals in both cylinders. Said the parts came as a set. HD paid for the whole thing. Greg

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an '05 Deluxe that was burning a quart of oil per 1,000 mile right out of the box. I knew about the problem as most people on this forum do by now. I had the dealer replace the valve seals, piston rings, plugs, and remap all under the warantee. That was done at the 7900 mile mark. I now have 14,000 miles on her and the bike runs better than ever. Does not use any oil at all between oil changes which I do at about 4-5,000 miles. I am running Amsoil 20/50 along with the Amsoil Ea filters.

twocoltbob

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well if the seal is leaking you are cooking oil on the piston top and as well it does not help with ring seal, or amount of build up on the valves themselves. This extra oil will cause glazing of the cylinder walls, leaky valves to the seats, and extra heat will be kept in the head, piston valves that can lead to ign ping.

·
Registered
621 Posts
EG Willy said:
Hello All:

Wondering if you have heard of a TC88 needing new rings and valve seals in the front cylinder after only 20,000 miles? Dealer did a compression/leakdown test today and diagnosed the rings. Spark plug in that cyl. was black with carbon.

Bike is a 2005 Electra Glide Classic. Always change the oil at 5,000 miles and use Mobil V-Twin.

Any feedback is apppreciated. Have a great weekend!

Thanks.
As pointed out, there is an issue with seals on 05's, however they performed a leakdown test and deteremined it to be rings. What was your leakdown value. Might not of shown anything on compression test, but what was that as well?

What was your oil usage say between 5000 to 15000 miles?

With regards to your question, rings can go bad for a number of reasons and at 20k miles, that would not be too unusual. Lot's of reasons for rings to go bad...bad material, detonation, poor sealing at breakin, poor material, improper installation, cylinder bore imperfections, foreign material, excessive heat, poor lubrication, etc...

Regards,
NC

·
Registered
433 Posts
If the valve seals are bad, are there indications such as smoky exhaust or oil film in exhaust, wet plugs, etc?

I have an 05 but bought it used so it may have had the oil seal replacement done on it. I haven't noticed any smoking, but I do have to add about 3/4 quart of oil at 3,000. I figured that wasn't bad for an air cooled engine especially when I do a lot of touring at about 75 mph.

·
Registered
621 Posts
RB Jones said:
If the valve seals are bad, are there indications such as smoky exhaust or oil film in exhaust, wet plugs, etc?

I have an 05 but bought it used so it may have had the oil seal replacement done on it. I haven't noticed any smoking, but I do have to add about 3/4 quart of oil at 3,000. I figured that wasn't bad for an air cooled engine especially when I do a lot of touring at about 75 mph.
Have someone follow you as you first start the bike and take off, chances are they will see some blue smoke as your bike warms up. Usually a good indication of a problem with valve seals.

Regards,
NC

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rings and Valve seals at 20K

Thanks to all for your input and advise.

I have put 400 miles on it since the rings and seals were replaced. The HD tech noted that they see this sometimes, just depends on the motor, how it was put together, cylinder hone and piston fit, etc.

Great responces everyone! Appreciate it.

EG

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
EG Willy said:
Thanks for the info....glad I got my extended warranty now. Didn't realize the issue with the seals.

Dealer will fix both issues front cyl. only though. HD won't pay for what ain't broke!
Sucks you need to pay for an extended warranty, to cover a lousy product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts