V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my 2002 fatboy makes a ringing noise coming from the motor or tranny that sounds like loose change rattling around in your pocket. i only hear it when i'm off the throttle , i don't know if it happens when i'm accellerating because the pipes drown everything out. this is my first harley , so i don't know what noises are normal. thanks for your time, Paul.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine has a ticking sound.....Every time I ask the dealer something they tell me its normal....or its a Harley..Go figure

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Paul- I think you are the first that seems to have what i have with my '02 Fat Boy....but I have always described it as sounding like a dog chain swirling around in a metal mixing bowl. Try different gears and see if it comes on at different speeds. I get it at about 50 in 4th, and then at a lower speed in each lower gear...seems to me it is there only at a certain engine RPM?? I thought at first it was coming from inside the gas tank...now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
ringing noise coming from the motor or tranny that sounds like loose change rattling around in your pocket. i only hear it when i'm off the throttle
Loose primary chain?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Or perhaps those silly counter-balancers?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Noise that sounds like a dog chain in a metal mixing bowl

I just started to notice a strange new noise - dog chain in a metal mixing bowl being swirled around and round. I took it to the dealer last week and one of their employees (not a wrench) said "oh thats normal - wifes bike makes the same sound - nothing to worry about"
Well the noise is getting louder, and it seems to be comming from the primary case (loose primary chain maybe?) - I looked at the owners manual, and took it to a local wrench, and I belive it is a loose primary chain - so I dropped it off at the Harley shop to have them check the primary chain. Talked to the same guy (wifes bike makes same noise) and he said "Oh yeah that primary needs to be adjusted for sure if you've got 3,500 miles on it, but I only give ya 50/50 chances that you'll loose that noise. I told hime do what ever it takes to loose the noise. I'll let ya know what I find out today, but if the noise isn't gone - I'm gonna be #@$%+* pissed. Does anyone else have a similar problem? Iv'e listened to several other 88TC engines with more miles and there is no noise like I have described - Any answers? Comments. or do I just learn to live with a loud noise that wasn't in the motor for the first 3,000 miles? Hopefully the Harley shop guy is wrong and adjusting the primary chain will fix the problem.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
HIPPO said:

Loose primary chain?
My gut says the noise isn't coming from the primary but I could be wrong....windshields and stuff have a way of bouncing soud around and fooling you...but just in case......

I just finished my own complete 1000 mile service (all redline fluids) and did all the torque this, torque that stuff...even did the mysterious fall-away adjustment. Only thing I wasn't so sure about was primary tension adjustment. I read and re-read the manual and measured and re-measured the slack and in the end decided it was OK as is.

Hippo or anyone else- what are the details of doing this correctly...any tricks or real-world wisdom on getting the promary tension right? Can it really be done effectively thru that little damn oval cover? should the slack in the lower strand be pulled tight by rotating one of the gears befor measuring the upper deflection? when they say "measure upward, not total deflection", WTF does that mean? Doesn't gravity take it to the lower limit so that upward deflection is same as total????

·
Just bad
698 Posts
logical said:
Hippo or anyone else- what are the details of doing this correctly...any tricks or real-world wisdom on getting the promary tension right? Can it really be done effectively thru that little damn oval cover? should the slack in the lower strand be pulled tight by rotating one of the gears befor measuring the upper deflection? when they say "measure upward, not total deflection", WTF does that mean? Doesn't gravity take it to the lower limit so that upward deflection is same as total????
I haven't done hundreds of these, but when I did mine I just used a steel rule against the top part of the chain. With the trans in neutral, the clutch hub is free - so pulling tension on the lower strand is not necessary. You should turn the crank (CCW) to check different spots and use the "tightest" measurement since chains tend to wear unevenly. And yes, it's easy to do thru the inspection cover.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Oh yeah... as to that "loose change" noise I don't see where anything in the primary case would make that noise. If the chain was loose maybe a tapping or grinding sound when it slaps the primary case. Everything in there is swirling with oil so I'm thinking that would tend to eliminate most of the "ring" sound from any metal to metal contact. I'd start looking for loose stuff like any chrome dodahs that may be bouncing against something - maybe a horn cover or shifter rod.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If the primary chain is that loose to make that much noise the bike would be real jerky in 1st gear idling along or low rpm's. This is the first sign that tells me a chain is to loose.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
True, but it was stated the bike only makes the noise on deccel. The first two things that come to mind that reverse under these conditions are the primary (and belt) loading and the powertrain torques in the opposite direction.

On deccel the primary goes slack on top and it is common for it to make noise. Sure it could be from a heatshield or a pipe or something as clearances change with opposite torquing, but that sort of stuff is pretty obvious, and on a solid mount bike the effect is much less then on a rubbermount unless the mounting bolts are loose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Noise - everybodys TC88 Has it - get used to it!

I went to pick up my bike yesterday (2002 Fatboy) and the mechanic said the primary chain is fine. The shop boss said "listen to mine - it's a lot louder than yours" I did listen to it and it was much louder and it also made a clicking noise. Last night I went to the local Bikers Bar and talked to some other TC88 owners, and I listened to their motors - guess what - even though some of them said they never noticed the noise before - it was there - and the hear it now. One guy has over 17,000 and no problems - bottom line (as the tech wrote on the service sheet "normal engine noise".

I guess I'll just have to get used to it

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
They all do that? The other evil twin must be a dealer service manager.

The noise mine makes (maybe not the same as the thread starter) is not just normal harley noises....I know all about them.

What I am talking about is not on decel. It is at a specific RPM range....no matter what gear I am in.

I am in the automotive design business and get involved in a fair ammount of noise/vibration/harshness (NVH) issues. this is something that picks up a natural vibration at a certain RPM...something that has a natural frequency close to that particular RPM. It is tinny enough that i really doubt it is coming from inside the engine. Something else seems to pick up the vibration.

I'd swear it's inside the tank if I didn't know that sound can fool you. Maybe inside the dash?

It's not at idle or at an RPM that a sane person would rev to sitting still. It's at about 50 MPH in 4th. What is that?...a little under 3000 RPM?

If I don't find it soon I'm gonna do something crazy like take it to the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
evil-twin , thanks for following up with what the service dept. had to say. i guess i can live with the noise if it's normal. btw , how do you like the bike? i rode a *** bike for 20 yrs., when i bought my fatboy this summer, i just had my bike for 3 days and i got rear ended in an intersection. just a dented fender which has been replaced at no cost to me, but the worst feeling you could imagine. Paul.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Noise for logical and response to Paul

Logical - I did a search on Noise on this site and one of the posters said that he had a similar noise to what you describe - vibration (sounded like marbles at 3000 rpm - he said he removed the air box and found a loose o-ring inside the black portion of the air box. (I don't know exactly what he meant, but if you do a search on Noise you should be able to find his post - there was also one about finding a loose rear mount on the gas tank that caused a vibration.

Paul - I too rode a lot of *** bikes and the "Harley Experience" is a little different. A buddy just bought a Heritage Springer (he just sold his 1600 Road Star) - his biggest complaint about the HD is the clunky transmition. I've had a few little chrome chipping problems, but they have been taken care of quickly - without question (under warranty). The big thing about a Harley - chicks love-em. I never had so many women - some very young, and very hot - ask me to take-em for a ride. Last night I had three leather monkeys bugging me to death - kept buying me beer and wouldn't leave me alone Leather Monkey -(if you throw a leather jacket with a Harley patch on it over a tree or bush - they'ed hump the tree or bush)
;->

Anyway - I love the Fatboy, although it has taken me a little while to get used to it's character - There are some things that make it different than the *** experience - but hell that's why I bought it, and those things are why the *** bike industry are copying the harley style and sound.

I guess it boils down to this "if ya want a *** bike buy one - If you want a Harley - learn to love it's character that has grown for 100 years!

PS I got hit in the rear last week - just a bent rear fender - cost $485.00 for the fender and labor - Her insurance company already sent me a check and the fender is on order, and the bike is ok to ride - but it still sucks. - Paul what did your fender cost? - Mine was priced at $365. just for the part and 100. labor (black W/ red stripe)
>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fatboy fender

evil-twin, the fender and labour was paid by his insurance, i saw the bill , they charged his insurance over $800. canadian , for a black fender. ps you're right about the girls, if my wife catches me with one on my bike i'll tell her to take it up with the harley davidson corp.Paul.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
logical: I have experienced the noise that you described. It is as if it only happens at certain RPMs. I previously rode a 99 FXDL w/ 95" SE Stage II Kit, 258 cams, SE heads / high compression pistons, air filter, & slip ons, Mikuni HSR42 for 29000 miles before trading it in on a 01 FLHPI. Had the new mill done up w/ 95" cylinders,211 cams, SE Stage II kit. Got 3700 miles on it since July 13. Noise is still there. It does not appear to be getting worse, but it isn't getting any better either! I took the time to break it in right,too.
I do not recall hearing this noise from the old motor. Did the factory make any changes that could be causing the noise? Gotta wonder.
P.S. Same wrench did both motors, I trust him.
twincamzz

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Re: Noise for logical and response to Paul

EVIL-TWIN said:

Anyway - I love the Fatboy, although it has taken me a little while to get used to it's character -
Like scrapping the floor boards around tight corners? ;)

·
Just bad
698 Posts
I listened to mine real close the last few rides and the only thing that's even close (swirling chain sound) is normal lifter noise - i.e. the sound of the lifters running on the cams. I suppose some will be louder than others and vary with engine temp and oil viscosity. If you can duplicate the sound while on the kickstand, use some old heater hose to focus your hearing and listen around the bottom of the pushrod tubes. Mine happened to be most noticeable on a warm engine at around 2000 rpm. When cold the oil viscosity quiets things down and when fully hot clearances are tight and oil is flowing real good.

I think someone else pointed this out too - when you're coasting or decelerating the pipes are not drowning it out and you can hear it.

Just an idea...

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Ringing

I have a 02 FatBoy, I have a similar ringing sound on my bike it is the left side foot pad if I hold my foot in a certain place it vibrates which also sounds like what you are describing just lift your feet off the foot pads a little see if it disapears if it does no charge lolol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts