V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi from the uk, i have a fxrs, that im fitting new molly hastings rings on , im struggling with ring gap sizes do i go with the workshop manual,

·
Super Moderator
19,565 Posts
hi from the uk, i have a fxrs, that im fitting new molly hastings rings on , im struggling with ring gap sizes do i go with the workshop manual,
I always use the factory gap specs. But with those rings, i doubt they'll set up that tight. With Hastings, you usually have to buy +.010 and then file them down to spec.

If you are using jugs that were just honed, and not bored, you definitely need to start with +.010 rings the set them to the tightest (smallest diameter) portion of the jug while its in the torque plates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always use the factory gap specs. But with those rings, i doubt they'll set up that tight. With Hastings, you usually have to buy +.010 and then file them down to spec.

If you are using jugs that were just honed, and not bored, you definitely need to start with +.010 rings the set them to the tightest (smallest diameter) portion of the jug while its in the torque plates.
thanks, yes i gave the jugs a light hone just to break the glaze, i was only doing base gaskets but like a fool i took jugs off and didnt leave the pistons in them, its a lesson learnt, one of many with my fxr

·
FOAD
230 Posts
thanks, yes i gave the jugs a light hone just to break the glaze, i was only doing base gaskets but like a fool i took jugs off and didnt leave the pistons in them, its a lesson learnt, one of many with my fxr
I have slipped pistons out of jugs and put them back in and not had a problem especially when I was short of $$$$$$$$$
Don't believe everything you read on the internet because I did it many times before the internet was even a thing and some of those motors went for years afterwards.
If you want to do it then that is a different story but don't do it just because the pistons slipped out.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
An aircraft engine is a whole different thing than a Harley motor. You are working with a much better engine to begin with, and one that has much better cooling.
Airplane engines also tend to be run at lower and constant RPM settings along with constant TLC that an automotive or motorcycle engine doesn't usually get. An aircraft owner that abuses his engine will see the same problems any engine has.

·
Super Moderator
19,565 Posts
Airplane engines also tend to be run at lower and constant RPM settings along with constant TLC that an automotive or motorcycle engine doesn't usually get. An aircraft owner that abuses his engine will see the same problems any engine has.
And aircraft owners will do some real sketchy stuff to get those engines through an annual too.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
And aircraft owners will do some real sketchy stuff to get those engines through an annual too.
Can't argue there. I've told the story before but will only summarize by saying the owner of an airplane I was flying to Dallas tried to get the local A&P to throw a used jug on that might be laying in the corner at the field I landed at when the engine blew a jug. He was then expecting me to jeopardize my ticket by knowingly flying the thing back like that. The A&P also rejected the idea.

·
Super Moderator
19,565 Posts
Can't argue there. I've told the story before but will only summarize by saying the owner of an airplane I was flying to Dallas tried to get the local A&P to throw a used jug on that might be laying in the corner at the field I landed at when the engine blew a jug. He was then expecting me to jeopardize my ticket by knowingly flying the thing back like that. The A&P also rejected the idea.
Ya, I have a friend you makes his living off of old farm machinery. And he plays with worn out airplanes. I've seen him do some real dubious stuff to get one ready for an annual. And it has at times involved other peoples discarded parts.

Someone gave him an old business jet sans engines. He took the wings off and had it towed down the freeway to his house. Parked it right at the end of his lane. People actually drive out from the city to take selfies with it.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Guy here had an Ercoupe sitting in his yard I tried to buy for a while but he wouldn't sell. He wouldn't even let me look closely at it and was a bit of a dick about it. Not sure what that was about. Eventually it was gone.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Someone gave him an old business jet sans engines. He took the wings off and had it towed down the freeway to his house. Parked it right at the end of his lane. People actually drive out from the city to take selfies with it.
Just something else to mow around?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Could always make a boat out of the thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts