V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did some searches but couldn't find anyone mentioning anything similar...

swapping out my stock headers and V&H Oval slip ons for Rinehart True duals this weekend.

on the left-side, rear cyclinder header installation, instructions call for 1/4" clearance btwn heatshield and rear vertical frame tube.

No matter what i do, there is no way that 1/4" can be maintained there.

Also, the rear header seems aweful close to the rear passenger's peg mount.

can someone take a look and let me know what kind of clearance(s) they have?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Rinehart Truedual frame clearance

This is a common issue especially with some of the 05-06 dressers. The bub crossdresser II's also have this issue where they have such little clearance between the rear header bend and the frame rail that they can tap the frame. Not a defect in the product but a design issue. I have tried two sets of the bubs and ended up going to the vance hines big shot duals which have a good 2-3 inch clearance and a much better down bend on the rear header. The rineharts and especially the bub cross dresser duals are also to close to the rear foot board on the left side. Cannot adjust with the pipes on and i even had tapping on the rear floorboard from the rear header. Just my experience. Bub support and warranty are fabulous however they have a design flaw with this issue on the rear header especially.

M

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks..

grrr...that's not exactly good to hear, but I guess we'll see how it works.

For now I'll split the difference in the clearance top & bottom and roll with it.

Anyone else have this on their ride? is Bub donig anything about it?

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
mdolce said:
did some searches but couldn't find anyone mentioning anything similar...

swapping out my stock headers and V&H Oval slip ons for Rinehart True duals this weekend.

on the left-side, rear cyclinder header installation, instructions call for 1/4" clearance btwn heatshield and rear vertical frame tube.

No matter what i do, there is no way that 1/4" can be maintained there.

Also, the rear header seems aweful close to the rear passenger's peg mount.

can someone take a look and let me know what kind of clearance(s) they have?

thanks!

What you need to do with the left side passenger floorboard support is to lower that support to the lowest setting. That will give the pipe proper clearance.

On the spacing issue between the primary cover and the frame......I used wedges of wood to hold it in place. Then I tighten everything down and remove the wedges...........it will stay right in place and should be good to go.

Steve

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
steve...thanks for the note...however i noticed inthe pic you have a 2into1...were your tips based on prior experience with the Reinhart system?
if so, why did you get rid of them? performance?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I've got an '05 RK Custom with duals. I checked mine and I have about 3/32" clearance. Been on for 3 years with no problems, so I wouldn't sweat it as long as you can get some clearance.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Another thing to keep an eye on with the rear header is the clearance on the primary cover. When I took mine off to install the 2-1 Fatcat I noticed it had chaffed through the chrome in about a 1/4" area. I have a buddy that replaced his Rineharts and his did the same thing.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
mdolce said:
steve...thanks for the note...however i noticed inthe pic you have a 2into1...were your tips based on prior experience with the Reinhart system?
if so, why did you get rid of them? performance?
Yes, I had the Rineharts installed for a while, and I removed them when I did my motor work to replace them with a 2-1 system for better performance. I also do installs as a little side business, and I've installed a few sets of Rineharts for people using the same technique.

I still think the Rineharts have the best look and sound of any exhaust, but for me I wanted better performance and the only way was a 2-1 system. Also, after I did my build I used the Rineharts for about a month and I noticed the sound was too loud and was killing my ears and giving me a headache after every ride.

Steve

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone.

guess i'll button everythign up this weekend and hope to get another decent fall weekend to ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts