V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an update to the thread below about "What's up with the Rineharts?"

I just received my exhaust order this morning. The design change that I notice is that the baffle stack remains the same but the addition of what appears to be some sort of built in anti-reversion device is added prior to where the baffle cuts begin. It looks almost like a fighther jets engine thruster but inverted, as to deflect the exhaust from re-entering the header pipe. This setup will be going on my 06 RK with 1550 Stg 1. I have the other design Rineharts on my 06 Ultra Stg 2.

If this is indeed the answer to the low end torque condition that was mentioned that this was the fix for and if it indeed does perform better for low end torque problem bikes, do you think that Rinehart would either replace the mufflers at no charge for ones that were bought less than three months back or at least provide an add on unit (anti re-version unit to retrofit) to install in existing units that don't come from the factory with this "anti re-version" device?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been there and they will NOT do that. I bought mine 4 months ago and contacted them last week about the changes they made and if I could upgrade to the newer Velocity style mufflers. They were polite as always but said NO. Even though the muffler change was the only change they would not do anything for me. The head pipes are still the same as their last update. I was also advised that the new baffles will not fit the older style mufflers. If you want the new mufflers you will have to buy a complete new kit. If I would have known that they were coming out with a complete new true dual system before I made the purchase I would have put on a set of slip-ons and waited.

I actually don’t like the sound of the pipes and this became an excuse to pull them off. My Rinehart True Duals are now sitting on the floor of my garage waiting for their new owner to come and pick them up. Right next to the old stuff is a brown box containing a new D&D FatCat pipe that will make its way onto the scooter before this coming weekend.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
HKSkully said:
As an update to the thread below about "What's up with the Rineharts?"

I just received my exhaust order this morning. The design change that I notice is that the baffle stack remains the same but the addition of what appears to be some sort of built in anti-reversion device is added prior to where the baffle cuts begin. It looks almost like a fighther jets engine thruster but inverted, as to deflect the exhaust from re-entering the header pipe.
A picture is worth a 1,000 words...:hmmm:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'd wait to see how much, if any difference it makes on the dyno charts. But I'm sure if they went to the expense to manufacture them, they did a little research and dyno testing. I'll keep the ones I have. I'll build a nice 95" motor when I want more power and not sweat the (most likely) 2% increase of the new mufflers. :)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Well said Bike. If a person liked the exaust before, why would they suddenly not like it after a new modification came out? It is still the same pipe. I dabble in high-end audio a little and at times a manufactuer makes a "modification" to the speaker/amplifier/cd player/pre-amp that is only minor but "claims" to have the Holy Grail of modifications and it is barely noticable in the big picture. People get upset because of the modification and they were not informed of the modification coming out 3 months later. Not saying that Geezer is just blowing smoke, but it is doubtful that someone in a similar instance would have actually waited for the "new and improved" version. Think about it, how can it be both NEW and IMPROVED? (old Carlin) Is this great marketing for Rinehart. I would say so. If I owned a company and had some inventory out there, I would not announce a change until the inventory was sold. All that does is screw over your vendors who in turn have to take a hit to sell the "old" product because someone thinks the "new" product is better. I doubt that any seat of the pants change was made to the exaust. Maybe another pony or LB of torque on the dyno. I doubt much more. However, those of you wanting a good deal on the "old" Rineharts, start making calls to dealers with inventory. Hell, I bought a Kendon Stand up trailer right when they made the change to them back in 2003. I ordered a new one, but they sent me one of the older models, even though the new ones were out for several months already. Pretty pissed off I called the vendor, they checked their order and they had ordered a "new" model. He called the distributor, they admitted to what they did (it was the last "old" model they had) and ended up cutting me a decent deal. I got a new "old" two bike Kendon trailer for $1200 when the new ones were over $2K. Not even sure if I would notice the difference between the two other than looks. The few times I have had to use it, it performed flawlessly (and I am sure as well as a $2K trailer). I saved $800 and used it for BEER and parts.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of beer?

Seriously, I know what you mean about the new and improved version of marketing. I don't know what, if any low end difference the (anti-reversion) device might help with. I will find out this saturday though and will post the results of what I feel by the pants.
Skully

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Doubtful you will feel anything from the seat of your pants except your wallet being lighter because someone convinced you that "new and improved" was better than "tried and true"!

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Design Rinehart Duals

Picked up my 06 Road King Saturday from the dealer.
Had the 1550 Big Bore, Flat tops, SE A/C installed.
Also had them install the new Rinehart true duals (the ones with the anti-reversion cone) that I bought. The dealer also replaced the injectors with the 25* units due to an intermitant stall (prior to above mods).:cool:

The new Rineharts are awsome. I love them. They are more mellow (without being as "crispy harsh" loud as the ones on my 06 Ultra. This thing runs like a rocket. :woohoo: More get up and go than I would ever need for a town bike. I've put a little over 200 miles on the clock since I refilled the tank and the low fuel light has yet to come on. Still shows about 1/3 of a tank of fuel, but we all know how accurate that is.

All in all, I'm extremely impressed at the way both bikes (my 06 Ultra and my 06 Road King) run since Dothan Harley did the mods and updates.

Skully

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
HKSkully said:
Picked up my 06 Road King Saturday from the dealer.
bike. I've put a little over 200 miles on the clock since I refilled the tank and the low fuel light has yet to come on.
...maybe it's not working ???

mine comes on right around 165 - 175 miles

Still shows about 1/3 of a tank of fuel, but we all know how accurate that is.
...60 MPG would be on the lean side

Glad you're satisfied

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Low fuel light

Light came on this morning on the way to work. 215 miles since last fill up. :thumbsup: I'll fill it up this morning and see if I was getting ready to walk or if it's getting that good of mileage. At 3.27 per gallon, I'm hoping it's mileage and not a problem with the fuel level sensor. :whistle:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm happy

Filled the tank and came up with 45.67 mpg. ?prty: :cheers: and to still have the performance factor as well, I'm extremely happy with the setup.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
HKS: Any dyno results? I am not interested in the precise numbers per se; more interested in the comparative increase in HP and torque over a stock 88 or an 88 with rineharts, stage I a/c, and fuel management adjustment (which is what I currently ride).

Oh yeah, happy you have two 06 Touring bikes; but if you get a third bike this year, DON'T tell me, please.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't know about #'s Havn't Dyno'd yet

To be honest, it has enough power and performance, I don't really need to do any dyno runs. But the one thing I did learn was a little trick in programming that helps with performance. Shoot me an E-mail for the info on it, as I don't want to publish it at this time. Don't want to get MOKO Man on anyone.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
HKSkully.................any chance of you taking pictures of the baffle difference between the 2 different models?

Is it possible to see the difference looking into the muffler from the rear?

How hard would it be to remove the baffles and take a picture of them?

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts