V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having found no threads addressing this, I am asking for constructive comments and remedies for an oil leak from high on the right side of the motor, perhaps from the air cleaner, which is a high-flow K&N flat oval filter. The motor is a stock SE 110 c.i. motor, dyno tuned with a SE pro race tuner.

I had challenges with oil misting from the right side of the motor, perhaps from the air cleaner. Which covered the right side of the bike, from the exhaust shields, to the passenger footboard, side cover, front, top and side of the saddlebag, side of the seat and the passenger rest. This was exacerbated when using the cruise control going over 75 mph for extended periods. I’d wait until the oil was showing on the bottom ¼ of the dipstick, before adding 8 oz to bring it up to the ½ mark on the dipstick.
I had the oils changed in all 3 holes after the cross-country trip, and the problem persisted on the Sturgis trip, where I went through almost 2 quarts of oil in 4,300 miles of riding, adding oil in the same fashion as before. The front cylinder crankcase breather was replaced, along with the oils and the filter when it was serviced. Should anyone have any information or a remedy for this, I’d appreciate hearing it. Thanks.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,957 Posts
...and I don't think I'd let the oil get as low as what you describe in your post.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree with enlarging the drain holes and replacing both breathers, why was only one serviced before. I'd also check the oil pump for scoring and the crank for run-out.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I think there is more to the story..
Why did you dyno tune a stock engine?
The bike is 8 years old, how long have you owned it? Has it had any engine issues that you know of?
This result generally has causes, that are rooted in past issues within the gearcase area..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there is more to the story..
Why did you dyno tune a stock engine?
The bike is 8 years old, how long have you owned it? Has it had any engine issues that you know of?
This result generally has causes, that are rooted in past issues within the gearcase area..
The previous owner had the stock SE110 motor dyno-tuned. It has a high flow SE K&N air cleaner on it.
I've only owned the bike since late-June. It replaced my 2010 FLHTCU, after it was totaled when I was run over by a deer in Maine.
The motor has not had any previous issues, though the original owner did not take long, high-speed trips, as I have since I got it. I've ridden almost 10,000 miles in the first two months that I've had it.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Excellent
I think you should enlarge the oil drains and replace the head
change the venting to under the bike, rather than into the intake

The problem is usually a combination of inadequate oil return from the top end,, possibly excasperate by oil pump or venting issues..

I really think you will find an issue in the cam chest,, probably in the return side of the oil pump, or the crank run our is out of specs..
Possible worn tensioner shoes..

Ant or all of these can cause the issue you have...

Many other Harley riders experience these same issues..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts