V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a bike with a detachable windshield. It is still at the dealer but I'd like to know what to expect when riding since I've never ridden a bike with a windshield. Do gust of winds make it harder to ride? I was wondering if when a truck blows by in the other direction if I'd better hang on for dear life. Are there any cons to riding with one? Opinions please, pros and cons.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
The only con I can think of is summer weather, but since yours is detachable the heat shouldn't really be an issue. As far as gusts effecting handling, I'd say there is some effect, but not so much that you should be afraid for your life any time a semi passes by.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not much of a difference if you ask me. I like the windshield because it helps keep some of the cold off. In the spring, that thing comes off.

Passing trucks (both ways) there is a little more of a wind gust with the shield, but nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I think they make riding better, I arrive much more rested. I upgraded from a Dyna to an Electra Glide:D I've done 700 plus on both bikes and the bagger is the only way to travel!
I LOVE MY HARLEYBAGO:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Smokey,
Glad to hear you got a new ride. Interested in where you picked it up after our converstation....

When I bought my UltraClassic last year it was the first windshield I've ever owned in 40+ years of riding. Have ridded for years with just goggles and a bandana. I have noticed wind effect on the road, nothing in town other than what 'nodoze' says bout the heat. On my first roadtrip (Sturgis) last year, I noticed what I would call 'wobble' in the handlebars on the road but got use to it real fast. Have made several runs since then and well, guess I'm use to it now because I didn't notice a thing.

Again, congrads on the new ride.

Ride safe.....

·
Banned
999 Posts
I dont understand how anybody could put alot of miles on without one.

lot less tiring with a windshield, less wind noise etc...

I think windshield improves aerodynamics, human body has more wind resistance than a flat piece of plastic and it also makes the aerodymacic qualities of the bike more constant.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Texan, I think the wobble you experience is more form the faring than the windshield. My dad had the same problem with his UC and we changed his out to a road glide faring. Your faring is fork mounted not frame mounted.

Smokey, both bikes I have now have the detachable wind shield and have had no issues with wind blowing me around. I prefer to ride with the windshield to avoid having a death grip on the bars to combat the wind hitting my chest. I enjoy the ride better knowing I can relax and not worry about being blown off the bike at 70mph. In the summer time, as long as the bike is moving I feel fine.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Texan said:
Smokey,
Glad to hear you got a new ride. Interested in where you picked it up after our converstation....

I bought it at Wildfire. I mentioned your name and the salesman said he knew you. His name was Ken Weinstein.

One other question. Do I have to wear glasses with the windshield on or will I want to even if they are not required? I was wondering if dirt or bugs still somehow get around the shield.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...I'm glad you :D on that:D:D....jeez a roof.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Legally, I don't think you need to because the windshield is your eye protection. However, from my experience I would still wear glasses. I have to wear them just to see & there have been a few times that something has gotten in my eye, even behind the windshield & glasses.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Smokey said:
One other question. Do I have to wear glasses with the windshield on or will I want to even if they are not required? I was wondering if dirt or bugs still somehow get around the shield.
I guess that depends on your comfort level and how high the windshield is relative to your face. I prefer to wear glasses but haven't had any trouble the few times I've ridden without them. My eye level is above the top of my shield so I would rather be wearing them. The wind blows most dust and junk over the top but that doesn't work on rocks that well. I use my windshield if it's cold or I plan on more than a 10 minute ride on the freeway. Otherwise it's left behind in the garage.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Smokey, the biggest thing I notice with a windshield is the pressure on my chest at 70 mph is greatly reduced. Lot less tiring on the arms. Stuff does occasionally find it's way around it, so I would still wear eye protection though.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I can remember reading that in some states you NEED eye protection even with a big ass piece of plastic blocking all yer wind. Check yer local rules.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Found this site and it has some useful information about state laws.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Personally I dont like windshields. Thats is why after a year of riding I took thhe fairing off of my bagger. I have a windshield on the truck if I want one. I dont like the way the wind pushes from underneath on the batwing fairing. As far as the glasses goes like stated above, check local laws. In Minn you still have to wear glasses even if you have a windshield. There is still crap that will swirl in behind the screen when on the road.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think a windshield helps in hot weather as well as cold. When it's really hot and humid you don't have that 60mph blast furnace blowing on you. And yes, bugs do get around the windshield to splatter on your glasses.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts