V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all long distance riders. You may find this post interesting.

In Spring of 2007 I will be riding around the contiguous 48 States, approximately 12,000 miles, to raise awarness about wetlands and coastal restoration. I plan to be on the road for about 3 months with stops along the way to meet with similarly concerned folks who want to participate in this effort. If you want more information about my ride, who it will benefit and how you can get involved go to my web site at www.ridingtherim.com. From the Forum I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has undertaken a long trip like this and any advise you can offer.

Keep it on the road

Note to moderators: DP approved me putting this on the forum

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. :yes:

Why do you estimate three months to do this? That works out to about 130 miles per day.

The longest ride I've done was just a tad over 9,000 miles in two weeks.

Start with fresh tires and plan on getting a new rear tire along the way (I get about 8,000 out of a rear tire). You should also plan on a fluids change.

Take half of the clothes you think you'll need and twice the money.

Good luck!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wyodude:
Three months is estimated travel time because I will be taking 2 days off each week for R&R. Also stops along the way to speak to interested groups and/or PR opportunties will cut into riding time. Money I am short of, time I have a lot of, so I am going to take it easy and see the country side. Did a 4K trip this summer in 12 days, with 2 days off and it wasn't bad, but didn't stop everywhere that looked interesting. Bookmark my website and you can follow my travels along the way. I will be posting in an electronic journal for all those that are interested.

Thanks

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've always wanted to do that ride,3 months on the road.....priceless!
If you want to save money,plan on camping out alot. Maybe I'll hook up w/ you for awhile if the time works out. When you're in my region I can help out with routes and places to stay.Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Shinbone:
Would be great to have some company for awhile. Had throught about hooking up with someone for the entire ride but decided I wanted some solo time. You and everyone else can help by getting the word out and having people visit my site, www.ridingtherim.com. I can use ALL the help I can get to make this is a success.

For those of you who are wondering about the posted distance of 12,000 miles around the perimeter it is actually 12,108 miles. This really doesn't reflect the total miles that I will ride because of sections of perimeter without any roads. I am estimating that my total milage will be closer to 14,000. I still plan on using the 12k level for fund raising however.

Keep it on the road

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
sounds like a great ride rgterry. good luck on it and tell the folks in Madawaska, ME that Doug says hi if you decide to cross into Canada there. Watch out for the moose and wildlife in that neck of the woods.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on Riding The Rim

West We Go - or in Louisiana terms Westwego. I have decided on a clock-wise direction for my ride around the perimeter of the lower 48 states. Will leave LA towards TX and then West towards CA. Decided to tackle South TX in May rather than July and Main in June - July rather than in May. Things go well with planning the ride. Have decided on several stops along the way to speak with other wetlands organizations and hopefully will use HD dealers/HOG chapters as meeting places. Will keep ya'll updated as my plans progress. If you have not already, please visit our web site at www.ridingtherim.com and find out about our ride.

Many thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
America's Wetland and Riding The Rim are partners

We have finally established a non-profit organization that will be receiving all donations and pledges for Riding The Rim (RTR). America's Wetlands (AW) is a non profit, tax exempt organization dedicated to wetland and coastal restoration. They use 100% of all contributions for wetlands issues. I have selected them because of their excellent track record in this area. As I ride the "RIM" next spring around the perimeter of the lower 48 states, AW will be setting up meetings with other wetlands organizations that are interested in hosting a media event when I pass through their area. If you would like to find out more about AW go to www.americaswetland.com or visit my site at www.ridingtherim.com. Please help spread the word about my campaign to restore the wetlands and preserve our nation's coastline.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Can't help you with a link right now but there is a story posted (or linked to) somewhere here about a couple guys who hit ALL 48 continuous states, that you may want to check out.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
fourhour said:
..... there is a story posted (or linked to) somewhere here about a couple guys who hit ALL 48 continuous states, ....
contiguous - being in actual contact - touching along a boundary or at a point

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
wyodude said:
contiguous - being in actual contact - touching along a boundary or at a point
Thanks, I stand erected!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
rgterry, sounds like a hell of a good time, If I had three months to join you I would. When you get to Jersey to have a place to stay if you wish. My wife works for the Water Alloctions dept of the NJDEP and used to work for the Wetlands Institue in Stone Harbor.

Lots of wetlands here in NJ, just dont go into the meadowlands alone....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Fourhour. Thanks for the links. I have talked to a couple of riders who have done the 4 corners thing. Some them do not hug the coast or boarders to save time. 21 days isn't long to cover that much distance. I figure I will end up with around 15,000 miles by the time I am finished. No hurry, just need to get people around the country educated about the importance of wetlands and coastal restoration.

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kick Off Date for the Ride

We have decided on April 21, 2007 as the kick off date for Riding The Rim to save America's WETLANDS. This is Earth Day weekend, with Earth Day falling on April 22 which is a Sunday. Plans are progressing well and we should have a section soon on Americas Wetlands web page for those of you who are interesteed in participating with a donation, www.americaswetland.com. Did you know that over 40% of all petroleum for gasoline comes through the wetlands? If you think the price of fuel is high now, wait until it has to be shipped through a new route if the wetlands in LA, TX, AL, MS are not protected. Visit my site at www.ridingtherim.com to find out more about the ride and wetland-coastal restoration.

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on Riding The Rim

Kick off date for the ride is April 21, 2007. America's WETLAND is the organization that will be recieving all monies raised (tax exempt 501). Major media stops in Los Angles, Seattle, Detroit, New York, Ft Lauderdale). Anyone who is a member of a H.O.G. chapter in these cities and thinks that their chapter would like to participate in a media event (local press, radio, TV) and/or organize a fund raising ride with me in their area, please contact us www.ridingtherim.com (limited edition Ride pins will given to all who participate). I will be speaking to groups around the nation as I travel "the Rim" about the importance of wetland restoration, both inland and coastal. We can also set up presentations at your HD dealership and get them some local press coverage too. All monies raised will go directly to wetland/coastal restoration.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts