V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on riding the perimeter of the lower 48 states sometime in the next two years. Would like to get feedback from anyone who has done this ride. Specifically: Where did you start from and which direction did you go. What time to year did you go in. How many miles did you travel. How long did it take. What was your riding style; number of miles per day, number of riding days per week, and did you camp or motel it. I am getting into my 50's and want to do this before the arthritis sets in.

Keep it on the road

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....you should find hepful info here...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Here is my take on things ,,,,, basically you will average 50mph .... as in it will take you a min of 10 hours to ride 500 miles. It costs us 100 dollars a day for us to tour two up ...... Your miles ridden in a day will ususally be between 350 and 550 miles, depending on weather and routes ....You will need to take some days off on a really long extended tour ..... we ran 16 days in a row on one of our large tours ..... it was pushing the limits......I would say you will want to take a break for a day or two every 12 days to keep the ride on the sane level......16 days of hard touring was really too many in a row........ rat

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Riding the perimeter

Thanks Ratt: You echoed some of my throughts. I am planning to a ride, on the average, 350 mile per day and take 2 days off every 5 days. So that would put me at about 1500 miles per week. This last summer we did 3900 miles over 12 days and that was a real push, even with 2 rest days thrown in. I have thought about using a pop-up camper (Aspen or Travel-lite) to avoid the motel scene. Have never pulled a trailer so not sure what the pros and cons are. Thanks again for your input.

Keep it on the road

·
Registered
769 Posts
rgterry said:
Thanks Ratt: You echoed some of my throughts. I am planning to a ride, on the average, 350 mile per day and take 2 days off every 5 days. So that would put me at about 1500 miles per week. This last summer we did 3900 miles over 12 days and that was a real push, even with 2 rest days thrown in. I have thought about using a pop-up camper (Aspen or Travel-lite) to avoid the motel scene. Have never pulled a trailer so not sure what the pros and cons are. Thanks again for your input.

Keep it on the road

Personally i would blow off the camping deal if you really are going to go touring ........Face it ,, after a day in the saddle its great to have the weather channel on the tube and a hot shower and a good bed. If you have a bagger you can knock down 500 mile days pretty easy ...and 10 days in a row isnt a big deal ..... My suggestion if just to network on the net on these cycle boards and you can usually dig up a free place to stay with people who ride ... and cut down on a hotel bill here and there .... The only time i ever camp off the bike is when i go to a regional rally ,,, I ride in , i pitch my tent ,, i do the rally, then i ride home.... that setting up and breaking down camp day after day will get old ... imagine riding in the rain all day then having to set up camp.... no thanks. I dont mind camping at all ,,, but multiple day touring and camping, no thanks. Look at it this way ,, you can pay for motels for your whole corner to corner trip for what you will pork out in cash for a pop up bike tent trailer..... we did 6500 miles in 20 days of riding .......20 times 45 is 900 bucks ..and you havent even spent a dime on a campground fee yet ... its a whole lot cheaper just to go the motel route and a whole lot more simple and comfortable......rat

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
As far as motels go, this fall the wife and I found a great place to stay at a very reasonable rate. Microtel...they are similar ammenities to a Super8 but $20-$30 cheaper per night at only $48.00.

We liked the place so much, we picked up the national directory for the chain and will plan our trips around them. We are used to spending our nights in a Super8 for $75-$80 a night...so its almost a two for one rate.

http://www.microtelinn.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts