V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wasn't sure where to post this............

In January, Connie and I plan to take a short trip on the bike from Jacksonville to Key West and back. Maybe 11 days. We plan to take the east coast (aia) most of the way south to the Keys (Cocoa beach and Miami Beach),then 5-6 days to/including Key West.

However, looking for some alternatives for the return route, i,e, Key Largo to JAX. Planning a 3 days, maybe 4-500 miles or so (obviously depends on the route.

Center of the state, or west coast?
Must see places?
Specific roads?
Place to stay?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

greg and connie

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
I'll be interested too in the responses...I'll be making just about the same trip this coming March. We're planning on leaving from Savannah, doing A1A down the east coast to Key West then returning up the west coast. Should be a great trip!

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
I took the west coast to Orlando and back recently - turned around Homosassa Springs, Hwy 98 coming north. The road is great most of the way with 65 mph out of towns.

Scenery is coastal plains and nowhere as busy as the east coast - quite low key in fact. If you're into tourist, not many high points in your itinerary north of Tampa that I'm aware of - think low to mid-scale excitement and easy to navigate; manatees around Crystal River and the sights around the Suwanee River. You would be paralleling the coast but 10 - 30 miles inland.

Coming north on 98 - when your route would take you east, I went west. Southwest of Tallahassee, Apalachicola has the best raw oysters in the world and some fine seafood. Excellent getaway if you're lookin' for a quiet little coastal town - not many left in Florida - good B&Bs, tops for fishing, friendly locals. It's away from anywhere, and that's exactly why it's worth going.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Paladin1 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wasn't sure where to post this............

In January, Connie and I plan to take a short trip on the bike from Jacksonville to Key West and back. Maybe 11 days. We plan to take the east coast (aia) most of the way south to the Keys (Cocoa beach and Miami Beach),then 5-6 days to/including Key West.

However, looking for some alternatives for the return route, i,e, Key Largo to JAX. Planning a 3 days, maybe 4-500 miles or so (obviously depends on the route.

Center of the state, or west coast?
Must see places?
Specific roads?
Place to stay?

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

greg and connie
Greg

I've not spent much time on the west coast so I'll leave that to others, I have been up the center, US27, and I don't recall too much there. It was a few yrs back so maybe different now.

I will say this, unless you really, really, have to see Miami Beach I recommend you shoot over to the turnpike just north of West Palm. JMO.

I also recommend you stay at Fla City or Homestead then head down the keys the next morning and plan on spending the whole day getting there. Lots of tourist traps to stop at on the way down. Holiday Isle is a must for most people at MM 84.

Have fun and be very careful driving the Overseas Hwy. Lots of party animals try to pass where they shouldn't, have an "out" at all times.

·
I ain't right
391 Posts
I'm interested in the responses as well. Have a group putting a trip together first week of April. All meet up in Daytona then head off to the keys then back north to Greenville.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Doing Bike week and I'm gonna be down there for 2 weeks..... any info is great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts