V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a trip from Glacier National Park to Calgary to Red Deer To Edmonton to Jasper and Lake Louise / Bnaff next year, anyone care to share real world riding experiences in Canada, any do's or don'ts ??
I believe helmet law is in effect, no problem, speed is in kph, no problem, are the roads there biker friendly ??
Any fuel issues ??
Best time of year, thinking now of late May early June or late August, early Sept ??
Hope to stay at various cabin / lodges in Jasper National.
Thanks, Scott

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
What to do with a flat tire {?} is the one thing thats on my mind. You might locate Harley shops along your route and have a AAA card for bike towing.
Gas should be no problem, don't push it though.
Drivers tend to move right along, look out for {large} critters.
Roads have "frost heaves" that are marked, sometimes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
August might be the best time of year for this trip, less likely to get rain. Fuel no problem. sounds like a great route. Roads are in pretty good shape. Your pretty safe going 10kph over the limit but not more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you might consider going through BC if you have the time also.

maybe go from banf to jasper then to kamloops (HD dealer there) then to the coast back to the US through Washington then home that way.

As far as gas, generally lots of gas station although there may be some stretches where there are extended distances, but there will usually be a sign saying "no gas for next xx KM" or "no services for xx km". but there really isn't many that are a long ways, if I remember the worst was 80 miles.

if you are staying overnight in the Banf or Jasper national parks there is a fee, also if you are going to run from banf to jasper on the parkway then you have to pay the fee but if you are staying overnight anyways in Jasper then you don't have to pay twice.

the drive from banf to jasper is only a couple hours but if you like stopping and taking pictures you can easily make a day out of it.

from Jasper to kamloops is about 5 or 6 hours, from kamloops to Vancouver is about 3.5 hours and Vancouver to the boarder is about 1 hour or less depending on where you are.

Steve

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I live just outside of Edmonton so I'll throw in my-2$en#e-.
I would skip Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton all together. Come through Waterton to Pincher Creek #6, head to Longview(gas up) up #22, take the #40 through Kananaskis Country, hit the 1X / Bow Valley Trail to Canmore then the #1/#93 to Banff, Saskatchewan Crossing then Jasper. That is an awesome trip my friend! From Jasper head into the B.C. interior or head back the same way and see it in both directions. Banff to Jasper is 3 hours depending on traffic not including stops. Little pub at Saskatchewan Crossing for beers, also gas but they rape you on prices, little side trip from there is east on #11 to Nordegg and back, also beer an gas, about an hr one way, great road to open it up on. Never had any problems with people not being biker friendly, show respect and get it back. Gas shouldn't be a problem like stircrazy said their are signs, look for Husky gas stations when possible, they have 94 octane. As for when....May is early, mid June would be my earliest choice, but I would lean to last week of August and early September, less chance of snow, all the families have headed home to start the kids in school. Great trip, take your time and enjoy!!!!!! Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Watch out for those Canadian Beavers espescially the ones that smoke Export A. They can kill a a man in bed.:):redrolf::whistle:
The real 'wild ones' are the French Chics, chit they smoke a carton standing on their head & as far as killin' a man heck they don't care where they smoke ...:hystria::hystria::redrolf::redrolf:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've been to Jasper twice, and Canada a few times. Its not as big a deal as people think. Towns are spread out a bit, but so are they in MT.

Canada is more expensive, especially the Jasper and Banff area. You need a passport. You are supposed to get a voucher from your insurance company, saying you are covered.

There isn't much gas between Jasper and Banff. I would gas up at Lake Louise, when heading north. East of Banff isn't as bad.

I did find I saved money on my room, booking on line. The rate was higher on the phone, in Jasper.

I liked the Evergreen motel in Coram,MT, near Glacier. Bar and motel across the road. They have a website.

As for biker friendly roads, what the hell does that mean?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
W
Roads have "frost heaves" that are marked, sometimes.
Jasper and Banff area and Canada 1 are good roads. The frost heaves I have run into where futher north.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I live in Pincher Creek ,

Jack Ass has 1 perfect trip lined up for ya ! Would only change one small thing , go past the 22 X highway ( to Longview ) 7 or 8 miles and check out Frank Slide ( 1 of the wonders of the world ) then turn back and complete trip ! Have fun ~! Watch out for sheep in places !

Bandit

·
Registered
968 Posts
I live in Pincher Creek...Jack Ass has 1 perfect trip lined up for ya ! Would only change one small thing , go past the 22 X highway ( to Longview ) 7 or 8 miles and check out Frank Slide ( 1 of the wonders of the world ) then turn back and complete trip ! Have fun ~! Watch out for sheep in places !Bandit
Agree with both Jackass and Bandit......just a point....if you want to ride this country as outlined by Jackass & Bandit, May is too early.......I'm also a native of southern Alberta.......happy trails:)

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I live in Pincher Creek ,

Jack Ass has 1 perfect trip lined up for ya ! Would only change one small thing , go past the 22 X highway ( to Longview ) 7 or 8 miles and check out Frank Slide ( 1 of the wonders of the world ) then turn back and complete trip ! Have fun ~! Watch out for sheep in places !

Bandit
I say the same thing. I live in calgary about 1 km from 22x. Forget the road from Calgary to Edmonton and do the road trip jack ass recommends.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
Agree with both Jackass and Bandit......just a point....if you want to ride this country as outlined by Jackass & Bandit, May is too early.......I'm also a native of southern Alberta.......happy trails:)
first of June is too early IMO.
That is another DAMHIK.
After Labor Day IMO

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Road to the Sun has been closed late June. I did it early August. Last time I went to Jasper though I did it with the solstice cause I was heading to AK. After that its gets into there rainy season.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Canada

I tend to agree with jackass for the most part....Canadians tend to speed but you'll figure that out. The price index is a bit spendy for some stuff like beer and smokes.
Made the trip myself a few times...bought bad gas with water in Pincher Creek, that was a long night but watching the bats at sundown was cool. Banff is worth the trip in it self...There are some hot springs near Ravelstoke, worth the stop and then I would head back to the US via Osoyoos and Eastern Washington....late August early September gives the best chance of better weather. Enjoy...

·
Banned
6,957 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Scott......don't know how much time you have..........Beartooth Pass on the way up to Canada? As stated...'Going to the Sun' highway (Logan Pass) doesn't open until June....although it's only 6700' above sea level, you will be above the tree line for a while. If you ride it from west to east, you will always be on the outside of the road. Have rode this pass for many years....always fun!

When I head east to the prairies, I like to skirt around the bottom of Glacier (Marias Pass) and out onto the 'flat' heading toward Cut Bank......

You will have fun and see some new turf....my choice for doing your trip would be late summer - early fall.......

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You could wait until next spring, and see when logans pass opens, depending on how flexible getting time off is.

I did it in August and it was good. Longer you wait, shorter days and cooler weather. Though you may have less tourists and better rates.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jackass, wow, thanks for the tips !!

It looks like July / August are the hottest and wettest months, along with the longest daylight hours ?? I have read when the high and low seasons are for lodging, just part of it, thinking late July to early August or last week in August / First week or two in Sept??

We have ridden Beartooth, loved it !! along with Chief Joseph Hiway from Cody, loved it !!

I'm hoping I'll be riding solo on my FLHRC and the wifey will be riding her 1200N, that the plan.......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts