V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Cajun Peauxseur
5,335 Posts
Just keep in mind that the Gulf Coast was pretty much destroyed due to Katrina and Rita. The ride used to be nice, but, I'm sure the scenery is just a lot of destruction now.

It's going to be some time before the area rebounds.

· Cajun Peauxseur
5,335 Posts
You will have to detour before Pass Christian, MS. The bay bridge (between Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis) was destroyed and I don't believe it has been rebuilt. Maybe someone from that area can fill us in. You may also want to check the LADOT web site on the bridges in the Rigolets (Hwy 90 from MS/LA line to Interstate 510 in New Orleans East. I know some of the bridges are fine, but I can't tell you about all three.

But, then again, if you are in no hurry, it just adds to the adventure, right?

· Cajun Peauxseur
5,335 Posts
Steve,

I just got off the phone with my brother who lives (uh, lived) in Waveland, MS. He says you will need to detour at Ocean Springs, MS as the bridge between there and Biloxi, MS is out. The Pass Christian bridge will be out for at least 3 years. No temporary.

He also advised that it is just not safe to be on a bike along the beach area from Ocean Springs to Waveland. The traffic patterns are all screwed up and he is seeing a high number of bike accidents. :thumbsdn: He said, "keep your wits about you if you do ride that road". I would advise the same here in the New Orleans area. People still drive like the traffic lights don't exist :mad:

Since you're not in a hurry, have you considered an alternate route like Hwy 80? I'm looking in "Road Trip USA", it's known as the Southern Pacific and mirrors I-20. Just a thought as a complete alternate or as a return if Hwy 90 is just too bad for the return.

If you do come through New Orleans, I'll match Dog's offer if I'm in town. :cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.