V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has been on a trip across Louisiana and on into Texas using Hwy 90 and 190. Just curious about the roads. I don't want to stay on I-10 much. Would like to go through all the small towns, just take my time. Thanks.
Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
1995 FXDWG

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,335 Posts
Just keep in mind that the Gulf Coast was pretty much destroyed due to Katrina and Rita. The ride used to be nice, but, I'm sure the scenery is just a lot of destruction now.

It's going to be some time before the area rebounds.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigD,
It will be DECADES before New Orleans and a lot of the other areas over there fully recover, if ever. Hurricane Ivan whacked Pensacola in Sept '04 and there are still many, many homes and buildings laying flat or in piles because of the "Citizens Insurance" fiasco. ie; The insurance doesn't want to pay because they say the damage was "flood" and not "storm". There are big lawsuits in the courts here and the insurance compnaies are doing everything they can to "punish" the homeowners and delay the court case. Scumbags.

The reason I want to make that trip is to go visit grandkids in Conroe, Tx. My Wideglide is more of the cruiser vice the Interstate speed monster. I have drag bars, Badlander seat, no windshield, and I'm pretty sure the original builder put on a different drive sprocket for more JUICE around town. (my speedometer reads about 7 mph faster than I'm really going). To be honest, I would be very happy just cruising over there at 55-60 mph. Stopping at small mom & pop cafes to pig out and take a couple of days to get there. It's about 575 miles door to door and I'm in no hurry.

See you on the road.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
I've never been as far as Houston exclusively on 90 but I've skipped around most of it in the past. It's a good trip but pre-hurricanes would have been better scenery, of course.

Historically, a good portion of Hwy 90 from Florida to Texas takes the same route as The Old Spanish Trail, a route the Spaniards used centuries ago. And the Spaniards built their trail atop trails used by indigenous Americans for more centuries - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Highway_90 You can find out more if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Stop in Mobile for a cool beverage when you make your way through, I'm buying.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Steve,

I've traveled 190 from Slidell, LA all the way over to western LA where I went north to Deridder. It's a good ride and roads are pretty good (for LA). I've also been on most of the parts of 90 at one time or another although not straight thru. That's also an interesting ride but just don't know how much storm damage (both Katrina and the later one) affected roads and local businesses.

I would not take 90 from Gulfport to New Orleans. Just too much destroyed thru there. All things considered, I think I'd take I10 to Slidell and then take 190 from there. If you do, be sure and eat in Opelousas. Great sausage country.

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,335 Posts
You will have to detour before Pass Christian, MS. The bay bridge (between Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis) was destroyed and I don't believe it has been rebuilt. Maybe someone from that area can fill us in. You may also want to check the LADOT web site on the bridges in the Rigolets (Hwy 90 from MS/LA line to Interstate 510 in New Orleans East. I know some of the bridges are fine, but I can't tell you about all three.

But, then again, if you are in no hurry, it just adds to the adventure, right?

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,335 Posts
Steve,

I just got off the phone with my brother who lives (uh, lived) in Waveland, MS. He says you will need to detour at Ocean Springs, MS as the bridge between there and Biloxi, MS is out. The Pass Christian bridge will be out for at least 3 years. No temporary.

He also advised that it is just not safe to be on a bike along the beach area from Ocean Springs to Waveland. The traffic patterns are all screwed up and he is seeing a high number of bike accidents. :thumbsdn: He said, "keep your wits about you if you do ride that road". I would advise the same here in the New Orleans area. People still drive like the traffic lights don't exist :mad:

Since you're not in a hurry, have you considered an alternate route like Hwy 80? I'm looking in "Road Trip USA", it's known as the Southern Pacific and mirrors I-20. Just a thought as a complete alternate or as a return if Hwy 90 is just too bad for the return.

If you do come through New Orleans, I'll match Dog's offer if I'm in town. :cheers:

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the scoop guys. I will definitely check into the Hwy 80 route. I don't mind going further north since I'm in no hurry at all. It's amazing how much damage was done by these hurricanes. People that aren't from here or who have never seen it don't realize just how bad it is. Katrina damage was on the news for a few months and now basically...HISTORY...except for the hundreds of thousands of people who will be trying to rebuild for YEARS.

The politicians are having a good time pointing fingers. Have you noticed?...each time there is something really catastrophic happen...the politicians and the government agencies are sucking hind *** when the truth comes out. 9-11?...point fingers. Katrina?...point fingers. FEMA being totally Fukked up?...point fingers. It's a disgrace and big government is SO BIG that NOBODY really has the ball anymore. It's all crisis management and REACT instead of ACT ahead of time.

I saw it here in Florida after Ivan......and Katrina is hundreds of times worse than Ivan. The worst disaster in HISTORY of America....and the ploiticians want to point fingers for political gain. Sorry sacks of Shiite!!!

See ya on the road,
Steve

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
hey steve,
if ya want to swing up to ne ga, you can put up here for a night.
i'm in mt. airy and allways have a place to crash and eat for another jarhead.
that's if the dammm dog doesn't eat ya. lol
semper fi bro.{salute(

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Todd,
Would love to stop and eat some free food at your house. However, watch out for our little dog too.

Here's a pic of our "little" one..Merle. His daddy, Bentley, is 75 pounds and LOVES everybody.....especially ladies and kids. I can't put a pic of him in here because they are all big files.

Thanks Jarhead.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
here's my pup. 125 lbs...he likes people once they're in the door. other than that he's a pain in the arss.
but seriously, any time you're in the area gimme a pm and i'll buy the beer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You should do yourself a favor and avoid the 190/90 route altogether until you get past Lake Ponchatrain. The devastation from Katrina and and Ivan is almost complete. I lived in Slidell/Mandeville until I move here to Memphis in May of 04' but I still work directly with all of my project team mates who still lived in and worked out of New Orleans. They all are still working up here now and do not know when or if they will be able to go back to that area to live full time and have a job.

If you insist on a southerly route you can pick up the 2 lane roads again once your past the Lake at around Hammond. Take the 10 across from FL, AL, MS into LA and pick up the 12 in Slidell. In Hammond you can take the 55 south and pick up a, almost, coastal route through the heal. You could spend some time at Avery Island and tour the Tobasco plant, and the food down in that part of the state will make you want to slap your mama! Or continue on the 12 into Baton Rouge and pick up the 190 again after crossing over the Misssissippi River. That trip accross the Achafalaya Basin has some fantastic food as well.

Or you could take a northerly route and cruise up the Natchez Trace through Mississippi into Tenn. The speed limits on the Trace are 50 mph so you'd be getting the crusing speed your looking for and enjoy some great sceenery all the way up. I'm actually hoping the wife and I can take a few days this summer to take our time crusing the Trace from the bottom up and then cruising through the Smokeys in East TN. From where you enter TN on the Trace you could take your pick of routes back west through TN into AR and then down into LA and TX. If you choose this route and want to come through Memphis give me a call. I've always got a spot for a fellow Leatherneck in need.

Whatever you deside, enjoy the ride and keep safe.

Semper Fi,

Rick

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Rick. I was raised not too awfully far from you. Dexter, Missouri, in the bootheel. Great living there. Y2K...that dog of your's would just make a snack out of me for warm up. Holy Cow!!

Here's one of my son holding Bentley...the daddy. Best dang dog I have EVER been around.

Steve

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Steve, when do plan on leaving? A couple of us Navy types are going to be down that way the last 2 wks of March. Going to be at NAS doing test writing. What kind of weather is forecast for the end of Mar.?:chopper: :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts