V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought my first Harley and I need to learn what is the proper etiquette while riding. For instance, if I am approaching a stop light and a bike is allready sitting there waiting for the light to change, do I pull up beside the person or stop behind him?

Also do most bike riders wave to eachother when passing?

Now for the big question. The bike I bought is a 2002 Sportster 883 Custom. A lot of people refer to them as bitches bikes. Well I am a 37 year old male. I bought the 883 to save money and plan to eventually do the 1200 conversion myself. This is also just a starter bike for me since I have not ridden a bike in 17 years. What I want to know is are the guys going to give me a lot of **** for riding a 883 Sportster? :rolleyes:

These may seem like dumb questions but I really would like to learn and not look so stupid when I get out there.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If anyone has a problem withyour bike, to Hell with em.

Pulling up on a rider depends on the rider. If they are patched and ya don't know em, best to stay back.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Bitches bike? I think not! :mad: Welcome and congrats on your scooter. Ive got about 10 years on ya in age and I say anybody who calls my scooter a bitches bike is most likley a rice burner lover ! You can see a pic of my 883 custom under the thread "I finished chroming out the handlebars"

·
Registered
380 Posts
i think not on a bitchs bike

Hey man an 883 sporty is a great bike, do not take any shi! about it a real harley rider will never give you any shi! about it.welcome to the Harley way of life.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think they call it a bitches bike or skirtster is because it's light enough for a woman to control.That doesn't mean It's a womans bike! I do however don't care for them myself.I remember back in 87 I bought a Honda Hurricane 600cc, when I ran into a older cousin on his sportster 1200cc. We swapped bikes to check each others ride out, when we got back he was so pissed off.Because he soaked $4,000 into his engine,heads,cams,valves,exhaust and it couldn't come close to my little 600. Harleys aren't race bikes, even the V-rod doesn't come close. The japs have 6 speed tranny's. I used to take my bike to 50mph in first gear,
It had a 12,000rpm redline.Then I bought the 1,000cc, forgetaboutit!
I'm glad I lived through those days,I did 147mph on the garden Expwy.
I thought the wind was going to rip me off!!! Now I'm older (36) & a
little wiser. Ijust wanna cruise & look good doing it!!! :cool:

Hey to each thier own,Thats why they make different models to choose from.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Does'nt matter what model you ride, it's still a Harley-Davidson, ain't it? We're very similar although I got you by a few years. I too had'nt ridden in 20 years and just got my first H-D, a Sportster 1200. Was planning on buying a Dyna but opted to get some experience first and maybe next year go for an 03. I wave to all riders. It's like when I pass people in the hallways at the hospital I work in. I have to say hello! Just my nature. Enjoy your ride and take the motorcycle safety class if you have'nt.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yep

JimmyK said:
If anyone has a problem withyour bike, to Hell with em.

Pulling up on a rider depends on the rider. If they are patched and ya don't know em, best to stay back.
Yup..I agree..
Ride what you want and they can ride what they want..
I bought an FXDL..This is supposedly the new "girls" bike..Sure...
RK's and everything else are ridden by chicks now...LOL

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yo Smokey, screw the naysayers! I get those stupid **** ass comments once in a while when I'm on my 883. When they ask why I tell them it's because I didn't want to ride the Dyna that day! Each bike is used for different types of riding and I do both. When they tell me their crotch rocket is much faster(since they have yet to upgrade to a Harley)I tell them that looking good is better. That usually pisses them off and ends the conversation! I like both my bikes equally as well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it :D
Sheepboy

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Sheepboy, I like that one. Actually you can tell em' anything, how the heck will they know. "Hey Bro, what you doin' on that girly bike?" "I did'nt feel like driving my (insert here) today!" Yeah, like F-14, Lexus, Hummer, minibike, etc. hehehe;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
If someone were to pull up next to me at a light I would think that they are trying to pick a fight (I ride a street fighter:D ). I sit staggered behind them so I can be seen in thier mirror, so not to surprise them.

I wave to just about all passing bikes, no matter what it is. I may not like what they ride, but they are riding too. To be honest, I get the least amount of waves from guys on Harley's. Guess a bad ass V twin isn't good enough for them... That isn't to say they are all like that though.

My dad likes to call Sportsters "chick bikes", but it is more for fun then anything else. If I rode one I am sure he would give me crap, but he would probably take it around the block too :rolleyes: Let them think what they want, they aren't riding it.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Smokey,never,ever make excuses for what you ride.Period! A sporty is this, a RK is....yadda, yadda,yadda! You like it? You payin' for it? You may have to take a little good natured joking, but hey, this is natural with Harley riders.

Waving is a personal thing.Some do,some don't.I usually do to all if it's safe to.

As far as pullin' up on someone, JimmyK's & Sidewalk's advice is rock solid.

Anyway,Welcome to the forum!
guido

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips guys. The reason I asked about what to do if someone is allready sitting at a light is because I didn't know if it would be offensive if I didn't pull up beside a rider who is waiting. Some people may view that as being stuck up so I thought I'd ask.

I am sure I got a zillion things to learn. I could use any tips you can throw at me!

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Smokey,

As for coming up on another rider at a light, here's what I do: If the rider is in the proper position- in the left tire track- I pull up in the right track and say hello. Once traffic starts to move, the lane is his - I follow. If the rider is not in the left tire track I stay behind and say hello when he checks me out. As for waving - I wave to all. How about this: after a lot of saddle time you find yourself waving to a biker -FROM YOUR TRUCK. Once in a while I catch some dude in a pickup waving at me on the bike and I think, "I'm not the only confused motherfocker out there"

Dean

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Smoky,

Welcome to the forum! You got the scooter that you want. You are on 2 wheels, so ride it and enjoy the new life style.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't like people pulling up next to me when I'm waiting at a stop, unless I know them. Once in a while you find a comedian trying to pass in the same lane, not a good move.

I wave to bikes when I'm in the middle of nowhere, often it's just a nod of the head. In traffic, forget about it, unless you want to run for miss congeniality.

It's usually a good idea to hook up with someone that has been around the block a few times, and follow their suggestions if they will have you in the group.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hello and welcome! First thing don't let any one give you any **** about what you ride, around here with the people we ride with that really doesn't happen. Second, I would not pull up along side another rider at a light, unless I was riding with him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As far as pulling up on someone at a light, I do it whenever I feel like it.
Sometimes I just want to checkout there bike, I say nice bike.They usually do the same.we all have something in common already, sometimes they tell me about a cruise night or event coming up.
What's the worst that could happen,do you really think someone will shoot you? Don't be a ***! (not that there is anything wrong with that)lol:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey, congrats on the 883....the way I see it, if anyone gives ya sh*t about what you ride..."F" em..you probably wouldn't want ta ride or hang out with them anyway. Its been my experience, that anyone thats been riding for a while(that I respect anyway) won't "knock" someonelses ride, at worst will just keep goin' and not say anything at all. As far as "pulling up" next to someone, you can usually tell who ya don't want to, and who you do...say hello, if thier gone by the time you put your hand on the clutch..they didnt wanna ride with ya...lol...like was said before, whatta they gonna do shoot you??

P.S. I ride a FXDL and was a little curious to find out which bike would qualify me to be riding a "real mans" bike anyway.......lol

1 - 20 of 84 Posts