V-Twin Forum banner

Riding at Night

3K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  rodan 
#1 ·
Last night, after getting in a minoy tiff w/ the SO, went for a ride up the coast. Left at 10:00 PM and went about 150 miles round trip (Ventura and back on HWY 101). Although I've ridden for more years than I want to admit, its the first time in a while I've gone any distance on relatively unfamiliar highways at night (i.e. normal night riding is in town on very well lit roads which are very familiar).

Evem though I have the halogen (blue) lights which are very bright, it was spooky in a way. Without seeing the rivulets it the road, the minor tracking with the wide front tire (i.e. following the lines), and not being able to unconsciously anticipate them, was disconcerting. Also, forgot how much I anticipate cross winds by watching the trees, etal. Felt wierd when the bike would start to drift right or left with no immediately apparent reason. Finally, I worried more about road kill, etal (not to mention rocks, beer cans, and *&&%,) than normal.

Do you ride at night, or do you avoid it? Ifso, how many of you experience this? Any tips?

thx, greg

ps. weather was perfect, plan to do it again soon under better circunstances!

See less See more
#2 ·
I know what you mean. I do ride at night on occasion, however I do not have the added brightness (only a standard headlamp). The spooky feelings and creepiness for me come in the anticipation of varmints runnin' out in front of me !! Just a weekago me & the OL were out for a bike night and stayed later than usual. Coming home on a twisty backroad and anticipating deer lurking in the road I had slowed down considerably, when instead around the next curve was a drunk in a cage swinging too wide into my lane. We survived but definately needed to check the shorts.LOL
I still enjoy night rides though. There's a club around here that a couple times a year has a midnight poker run. That is really interesting- try looking for lime dots at night!!!
Have fun & stay safe--Ziggy

#4 ·
I love making night rides, less traffic, and you can't see the smog. I will hop on and ride up to the hills.

I just keep the throttle under control and engine the sights and the air. I enjoy the ride itself in the light.

#5 ·
I love riding at night. All summer long it is too hot around here to ride in the middle of the day, but even when the weather is colder I love the desert at night.

Might have something to do with being a night person anyway.

The 101 at night is a piece of cake. I would be more leery of riding on city streets at night. If you ever go to dinner or to a honky tonk you must realize a overwhelming percentage of people on the road at night have to be legally drunk.

There are some roads where one would have some more reservations, in particular as one tends to lose night vision with age. In the particular case of the Road Glide the pathetic headlites also force you to slow down more then you normally would. If I had $1200.00 to blow I would get a HID headlite and that would solve most of the problem.

I draw the line at riding at night in heavy rain and traffic, as soon as there is enough rain and traffic you start to get the damn rooster tails and you can't really see a thing.

#6 ·
I guess with age it gets harder to ride at night at least for me. Night rides for me are only if I have to get back from Daytona ect. Ive seen HID set-up for Harleys for as little as 600 bucks, but I like my diamond cut headlamp that is far brighter than the stocker for only 65 bucks.

#7 ·
Yup, the best HID system for single headlite Harleys is about 600 bucks, but in the case of the RoadGlide you have to replace the complete assembly with adjusters and everything and get rid of the POS plastic reflector for it to work properly, and there is only one option for this specific model bike.

#8 ·
I've been riding at night for years, so far my vision is still good, even at night. Riding at night is for sure different. I like riding at night because it takes me to another level of alertness. I stay focused and on edge, constantly scanning, trying to be ready for anything. What I hate about night riding is a cager that doesn't know how to turn off their high beams, this takes the ride to another alert level. Anyway over the years I've to get much enjoyment from this whole experience.

#9 ·
Grew up in the city and did most of my street riding at night as a kid on well-lit streets. Now I'm in the sticks and it's DARK. Plus I'm older and the peepers are goin downhill fast. Then to top it all off, I hit a couple of deer with the Jeep 2 years ago so now I'm thinkin about them all the time and they're friggin EVERYWHERE at night around here. Oh yeah, and the headlight on the FXDX SUCKS!!! Gotta go halogen...

Dean

#13 ·
A buddy and myself went up to Topaka Kansas to a party at a new bike bar that his friend just opened. This was last summer,and it was about 350 miles from the house. Anyway about 100 miles into the trip I seen 2 deer run across the road in front of him, (he did not see them) and about 15 min. later 3 more. He did not see them either,but since he was up front,I seen them. We stopped up the road in Whichita just a few miles ahead,and decided to stay till morning. There is allot od deer running across the hiway at night in Kansas! Must be the corn fields or somthing. Any way it was not as sight I wanted to see. The same thing happened in Wyoming this year on our vacation. We got stuck riding at night across a 80 mile strech of nothing. I ran over a rabbit,and the wife hit somthing small. She did'nt see anything,but the blood & stuff was on her bike the next day. I was so tired I could have sworn I kept seeing antalope running across the road,but could'nt be sure. Freeky!!!

#14 ·
I love to ride at night but -yeah the deer, and an occassional moose or bear, are a constant concern, especially in the fall when they're on the run.

Every year the deer problelm get worse, as fewer young people are hunting. Meanwhile the ever creeping suburban sprawl continues to push them into the roads as they try to find their ancient migration trails. I've seen some bikes here with marks on their tanks indicating how many deer they've hit and lived to tell about it. (Actually saw a guy with 7!) The problem is the worst in the southerntier towards the PA boarder near the catskills mountains.

Still - just can't pass up the feeling of the cool night air and the stars overhead when I'm up in the mountains or circling the fingerlakes.

#22 ·
Who offers HID systems?

HIPPO said:
Yup, the best HID system for single headlite Harleys is about 600 bucks, but in the case of the RoadGlide you have to replace the complete assembly with adjusters and everything and get rid of the POS plastic reflector for it to work properly, and there is only one option for this specific model bike.

#23 ·
I've got a good one for you about riding at night. The OL and I were returning from a friends house about 30 minutes after sunset. We were following a cage at about 100 yards when two deer ran between the cage and us. A minor problem until the second deer tried to put it into 4 hooved drive on the pavement and wiped out if front of us. She then jumped up and started emptying her bladder, which went all over us and the bike. Yeah, when we got home we did a shorts check and yes the next afternoon was spent washing deer p!ss off of the bike. Oh well. Lessons learned. Ride safe.

#24 ·
Ride the Smokey Mtns. at night. I've have seen deer, fox, bear and one naked chic :D ....no sh*t...standing on the side of the road. OM let her out cause he was pissed about something. I could never figure what he was pissed about? If she was naked in the car, it would seem you'd be HAPPY! Anyway, I asked which way he went. She said south. I went north cause I knew the fu*ker would come back for her and I wasn't really intersted in passing him with his nude OL on my bike. Anyway, took her to the nearest ranger station. For me, ridin' at night is fun....never know what you'll run into? :D

#26 ·
I ride alot at night since I have kids. Tuck the little 1's in first, then the night is mine. As far as seeing, I'm part Vampire. My eye sight improves at night, clear as a bell. And anytime I can remove half the smucks in cages from the road is a major +. I ride on roads wit no lights in the sticks. Ya there are deer and other critters, but they seem to let me be. I almost got hit wit a deer on rt84 in Southbury ct. Doing 80 or so when the rig up front looked like it hit a speed bump. Well 2 big chunks of what was left of Bambie flew by me on both sides. I was only splashed wit some entrails. The truck split that sucker in 2. So my advise to those who venture out in the dark, KEEP YER DISTANCE FROM EVERYTHING. And don't worry so much, enjoy life. I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.