V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for routes to take in the Smokeys (Gattlingurg area)?

I want to ride the Tail of the Dragon for sure.
It was also suggested I look for Cherohala Skyway. Not sure how to get there yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
check out here as well;

www.tailofthedragon.com - has maps available for the area, and routes to drive in. The Cherohala Skyway is approached through either Robbinsville, NC., or Tellico, Tn. 55 miles of beauty. I ride these roads (the Dragon, and Cherohala) each year as a bike getaway. just don't travel the Dragon on a weekend. too many sport bike guys draggin knees:nunu:

·
Gravel
23 Posts
I rode the Dragon on Labor Day this year and it wasn't very busy at all. Only about 50 or 75 bikes at Deals Gap. No cops at all - very surprised about that.
Does anyone know who the other 2 photographers are that work the Dragon (other than Killboy.com)? I am going to order from Killboy, but I would like to get some pictures with a different perspective.
Oh, the Cherohala Skyway is awesome. I took some incredible pictures on it.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Michel.T said:
We have made a few trips in that area. It seemed like every road was nice there. We stayed just outside of Franklin, NC. Below is our trip with a map or two that might help you out. You will have fun. Michel

http://michelmarciamotorcycletrips.com/northcarolina.html
Nice video, complete with good tunes. Brought back memories of my recent BRP/Dragon trip.

One question though. Were those helmets glued to all you heads? :Dennis

·
Registered
392 Posts
wkdavistx said:
I rode the Dragon on Labor Day this year and it wasn't very busy at all. Only about 50 or 75 bikes at Deals Gap. No cops at all - very surprised about that.
Does anyone know who the other 2 photographers are that work the Dragon (other than Killboy.com)? I am going to order from Killboy, but I would like to get some pictures with a different perspective.
Oh, the Cherohala Skyway is awesome. I took some incredible pictures on it.
The others are www.us129photos.com and www.zeefoto.com

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smokey Mountains are great on a bike! I've been down there several times but never on a bike. It will be hard to ever go back w/o a bike!

Learned a valuable lesson...don't forget your rain gear hanging in the basement! We got rain most of the way to Cherokee and all the way back!

Tail of the Dragon was a lot of fun, but Cherohala was awesome!
The Dragon is definitely heavily patroled for just an 11 mile stretch of road. I learned that the cruisers there don't have light bars and aren't as easily detected. I thought the speed limit was 35 mph but it's 30 mph. Did not come across any tractor trailers.

MadMaps was nice but it's more designed for a motorcycle road trip. Not so much for someone who is traveling and going out from a set destination. The trips they had mapped were too far to make it in a day, or even 2-3, from a base location. If I can find some people to ride with, I'll be using the maps next year for an all riding trip.

Lots of great roads in the Smokeys, just have to find them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts