V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately today we lost a brother. As ususal a rider had an SUV pull out in front of him. Here is the story as it appeared on local news tonight.

Dorchester Wreck Kills One
11/11/02 10:38:53 PM

First tonight...a major highway is back open at this hour after a deadly crash.

Here was the scene tonight after an S.U.V. pulled out in front of a motorcycle on Route 50 near Vienna.
Crews closed down westbound 50 while they cleaned up and police gathered evidence.
It made for slow going.

TROOPER SABRINA METZGER, MARYLAND STATE POLICE: Once we determined the scene was secure and safe. Once we collected all the evidence that was necessary for the investigation... we were able to open on lane of traffic traveling west-bound. We put them on the shoulder do they could get around.

56 year old Frank Stalling of Ocean City... the motorcycle rider was killed.
The S.U.V. driver...35 year old Richard Olenick of Vienna...was treated for minor injuries.
No word on charges.

This just happened this evening on US 50 in Vienna, Md. I'll keep you post of what charges if any are brought against the driver of the SUV.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
My Old stomping grounds... I hate to read that stuff... makes me nervous... in light of the fact that I'm bringing my new scoot home as soon as the rain stops!!! what a shame...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Fu(kin cagers! R.I.P. brother.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
:(RIP :(

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ya know folks, it happens. Fact is it is dangerous what we do but we choose to do it anyway.

The Biker could a been a car. Another car pulls out and BANG!

The difference of course is that when a bike is involved things get deadly quick.

With what was posted, we have no idea what really happened. We are assuming that the cage was negligent. Maybe so and maybe not.

I don't have enough facts to hang the dude and neither do y'all.

It is a sad story indeed but let's hold off on the rope until we KNOW that 35 year old American ( assumption ) in the SUV is at fault. My bet is he had a rough night and today is not a good day for him either.

·
Registered
413 Posts
JimmyK said:
Ya know folks, it happens. Fact is it is dangerous what we do but we choose to do it anyway.

The Biker could a been a car. Another car pulls out and BANG!

The difference of course is that when a bike is involved things get deadly quick.

With what was posted, we have no idea what really happened. We are assuming that the cage was negligent. Maybe so and maybe not.

I don't have enough facts to hang the dude and neither do y'all.

It is a sad story indeed but let's hold off on the rope until we KNOW that 35 year old American ( assumption ) in the SUV is at fault. My bet is he had a rough night and today is not a good day for him either.
Very true. It's easy to get pissed off at this stuff, but I know we've all been guilty at least a few times of not paying the utmost attention when we drive our cars. Thank God it's never caused anything serious for me, but when you think about it, this could happen to any of us. I know i've drifted out of my lane after changing the radio, or dropping something on the floor, or whatever. That could have easily taken out a biker had there been one there. Point is, it's a shitty situation for both people involved.

It's a sad reminder to ride invisible, that's for sure.

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
I agree. Had a death here the other day. The MC driver was going over 60 MPH in a 35 a women turned in front of him. Don't know if this guy was going over the speed limit, we just have to be more careful then the cagers.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Plus I don't know for sure what it's like there today but I'm not too far from there and it's been pouring here for the last two days so that may have contributed also.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Well said JimmyK, the thumb up is for you only. Now a thumbs down for all the people that jumped on the band wagon of "this a$$ hole cager was at fault" give me a brake, you have know idea who was at fault, I think all you people that jump to conclusions, just want to get noticed here:rolleyes: Save your judgement till all the facks are in, will yas?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe the reason people jump to conclusions is that most of the time it is the cagers fault. Anyone who has been riding for any length of time has had this happen to them many times. From reading the article and from my own experience I would say that it was most likely the cagers fault. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Just goes to show, ride like they are out to get you. . . .cause they are.

RIP brother.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sorry to hear of this brothers passing.As I say at the end of my posts
Ride Safe "Please"
masher:mad:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had hoped to have an update but there was no further reports on the news today and my newspaper so far hasn't been delivered today. I have know idea whether the rider shared responsibility for the accident or not. The only thing they said was the SUV pulled out infront of him. I do agree with some of the folks here who say we should be careful about jumping to conclusions. We all make mistakes on the road from time to time and not just while we are in our cars. But for the grace of God any one of us could do the same thing. I hope we never find ourselves in that situation. What makes me angry though is that even if the rider is titaly innocent and the driver of the SUV is 100% guilty it is doubtful he will get more than a slap on the wrist. I will let you know any more details if and when I find out any.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Markcuda said:
Well said JimmyK, the thumb up is for you only. Now a thumbs down for all the people that jumped on the band wagon of "this a$$ hole cager was at fault"...
Whoa, wait a minute, all I said was that the rain may have had something to do with it..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts