V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend who has the same bike as me(road king custom) just bought a rider backrest that,even with it positioned all the way back,is still too far forward,even for him(he's at least a few inches shorter than me) I was thinking i saw a thread on here about bending them back to fix this problem,did a search to no avail. anybody got any ideas???

·
Registered
145 Posts
others have stated to build up washers in the front holes and use a longer bolts. I understand bending this bar in a vise can be a real bear to do.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I had the same problem with my Streetglide and the Harley backrest.
I made a new strip that was longer than the one supplied with the backrest. It's the one that goes from the main bracket that the backrest plugs into to the frame mounting point by the battery. I also bent the ears slighly up on the bracket the backrest plugs into to allow the at bracket to tip rearword without denting in the rear fender. got a longer 1/4"-20 bolt for the front monting point by the battery and put about a 3/4" or so of spacers ( used washers) behind the new strap that mounts by the battery hence tilting the backrest backwords. Bolted everything down tight. Without making the new front strap longer I couldn't tilt the braket back far enough and still get the 1/4"-20 bolt in the front mounting point. By adding or removing washers I was able to get it adjusted just where I wanted it. It takes some time but it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bent mine with an arbor press. Set it on a v-block with plenty of support underneath. Use a pin bar or something similar as a strongback so the pess works both bars at once. Easy to do and works perfect.

What are they, made for midgets?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bent mine last night. Clamped the two bars into a vise facing up, used about a 4' pipe and bent each bar nice and slow. This was actually pretty easy to do. The backrest is now pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I to have bent the one i bought . I placed it face down on a towel and placed a 2X4 under the end of the arms and beat on it with a hammer to put about a inch and a half of in curve in it . worked great then. Took maybe 5 minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts