V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a backrest for me to put on my 05 FLHT, looking for one that i can remove and also that allows me to lean back some when Im riding too....Thanks:unsure:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I tried the HD removable one for the FLHTCUI, but felt that it leaned me too far forward. Also, when I had it in the lowest of the 4 positions, it was OK for me, but it interfered with my passenger's legs. I could not get comfortable with it, however I do see quite a few of them on bikes. I have installed a Corbin seat that I like very much. The backrest just slides in and out whenever you want to use it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also bought the HD removable backrest and used it with the stock RG seat and then with a Mustang seat. Eventually pruchased Mustang backrest, more positions and higher quaility in MOB.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have the removeable rest and love it. It does not lean me forward, now as i bent it a little. My friend has the gas stut adjustable, he loves it, it can lean back much more.

·
Registered
61 Posts
iv'e got the factory removeable back rest too and don't really like the way it moves me forward in the saddle. it puts me just far enough forward that the narrow part of the front of the seat really cuts into my legs. i mounted all the bracketry under the seat as far back as the hardware would allow but it still puts me too far forward in the seat. TBo how and where did you "bend yours" to make it more comfortable? if i could adjust mine back a little more i might actually use it...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Same as the Bountyhunter, stock HD removable backrest. Used heat to bend back a little more, works out great. It has adjustment screw, but I removed that to ensure max distance. Ole' lady has plenty of room.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
I use the HD backrest and just use the adjustment screw that comes on it. :whistle:

·
Made in the USA
66 Posts
I've got the HD gas strut version - love it. Easy to change postions on the fly for a different feel/postion on long hauls. Worth every penny for me...

·
Registered
622 Posts
SFB TBo how and where did you "bend yours" to make it more comfortable? if i could adjust mine back a little more i might actually use it...[/QUOTE said:
SFB, The adjustment screw others refer to did not move it enough for me. I just put in a vice with a towel so as not to scratch the metal, and muscled it a bit to bend the frame a bit. Not a bad idea for using heat, I guess you could over muscle it if the metal is cold and kink the frame, all it is tubing.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I have the gas strut one, I had to bend it back too. Didn't have heat, but had a vice and a 4# sledge!! Rule #1, never force anything, just get a bigger hammer!!!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Find a chick with great big titties to ride behind you.

:yikes: :boobies: :roflback: :yikes: :boobies: :roflback: :yikes: :boobies: :roflback: :yikes: :boobies: :roflback: :yikes: :boobies: :roflback:

·
Registered
286 Posts
bountyhunter said:
Would be real tough to bend (steel rod, not tubing) without a press. Heat is quick!
Bountyhunter - how much did you bend it and was it only in one place?

·
Banned
701 Posts
Does not take much! Heat the 2 uprights (torch) in a vice where you want the bend, put a cresent wrench on the connecting plate to get an equal bend. Touch up with spray paint and reassemble. Best free mod you can make! Now you can kick back and ride in total comfort.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hey thatoldbike,i like your idea best, you know where i can find one of those? i like GREAT BIG back rests!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts