V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
just curious as to how many use a back rest and if you do,
do you use all the time or just for the longer rides.

I got one today, and hope it's the bees knees.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ride a 93 flhtp Best investment in ride comfort I have made.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pros: I have one of the factory HD models on my RK. About the only time I use it is on the all-day type rides...anything over 300 miles and it's worth ever penny I paid for it. It also easily stores in a saddle bag...always nice to have options.

Cons: I don't care for it if the road is very twisty...leaning against the backrest seems to connect you to the bike in a manner I don't care for.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Cons: I don't care for it if the road is very twisty...leaning against the backrest seems to connect you to the bike in a manner I don't care for.
Great observation. This is not the time to lean back. The other 90% of riding is.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Can't imagine not having one on my ultra. My back starts to hurt after 75 miles on my Wideglide!! Worth every penny.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Should I spend the extra money on an adjustable one for my Ultra? My seat is comfort stitch and should I get a comfort stitch?

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
I have one, don't really care for it. Thought it would be great. I only use it after I condition the seat.

rkc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have one on the ultra, usually I just leave it on, as it can be a bit of a pita to get it back on. Absolutely love it, especially on longer rides, and when the roads get twisty (which in central Washington isn't all that often, LOL!) I don't lean back on it. Makes a huge difference on long trips though.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
I bought one for my Ultra when I still had the stock seat on it. I could not ride 30 minutes without it. My zzz kept getting sore though. So I got an Road Zeppelin off one of the guys here. I love the seat. It changed my posture and after a few rides I tried it without the back rest. That was even better.

I have not used my back rest in a couple of years.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
110 Posts
SO as you see some love it some don't but I put one on my 09 RKC and anything longer around town I use it, rode from NC to NY this June pain free

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I hate riding with out one. It is a bit too snug with mama on the back, so if we are 2-up it comes off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2003 Ultra and I also just recently purchased the adjustable riders backrest. Really I don't know why I didn't get it sooner. It makes riding a lot more comfortable in all conditions. I only take it off when it's raining so I can put the wet weather cover on the seat.

Cheers Kymbo

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I don't know know if I'd say it's the Bees Knees ..... but i would say it's the Cats A$$ !
I got my first one in 1992 ... ain't been without one since !!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I picked up a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady that came with one backrest. Just last weekend I used the backrest for the first time. It was the first time I came home after a 10 hour ride day that my back and shoulders weren't worn out.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I recommend everyone get a removable backrest for long rides and one for your backseat passenger also.
I've normally only seen...."ahem".... the older guys use them :stir2:
Yep!
Older guys need backrests. They get bored with riding and need something more.
Especially if you got nobody behind hanging on & happy to be there.
Reason I put a 2nd solo seat on my Sporty.
Doesn't always work....
My favorite backrest, Laurie, died Jan 08/2009.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I have the SG style H-D adjustable. Worth its weight in gold. The adjust feature is primo -- dial in the support for the ride, one for highway, one for curves, one for up on the pegs. Back pad adjusts up and down too.

BMW riders chide me about "Lazy Boy Recliner Ride" -- and I come back at them w/ "Monkey Humping a Football." (Then I wave at them w/ my free hand because I have cruise control, and a radio.) I'm finding that BMW riders don't do 500 - 700 mile days, one after the other.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts