V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released a report on fatal single vehicle motorcycle crashes. Single vehicle crashes account for about 45 percent of all motorcyclist fatalities. More than 38,000 motorcyclists have died in single vehicle motorcycle crashes between 1975 and 1999.

This is a lot of fallen biker brothers -- Be careful out there.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Single Vehicle Crashes, etc..

We've probably all seen situations where a biker is forced to take radical evasive action to avoid a car that turns left in front of him, pulls out without "seeing" the bike, etc. I've seen two cases where the bike ended up off the road, and the car driver didn't even stop. In one of them the bike went down. So I suspect a certain percentage of the "single vehicle" motorcycle accidents may have had another vehicle involved.

With that said, over half of the the single vehicle motorcycle accidents involved alcohol. In many cases the rider was below the legal limit. I think it is important to recognize that even a single beer can affect your balance, judgement, etc. enough to cause a problem, especially if you ride close to the limit. There is a story in the September issue of "Easyriders" where the author talks about riding in Sweden, where they have a 0.02 bac limit. This works out to one drink for an average sized rider.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Drinking

I've mentioned this before,But, I'll repeat it.
Two wheels> Two beers (Noes not apply to truck drivers and 18 wheels!:D

Ride Safe
masher

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
A straight from the AMA, the number one cause of single motorcycle accidents is.....

Cornering! Either misjudging speed into corners and braking in the corner (Never, if really need to, just use the rear brake) or hitting some slick stuff on the corner, etc.

Remember, when a bike is in the corner you are using up a good amount of your traction, brake while in that corner and you have used up the rest of your traction and now you are in a slide, or have a locked up rear wheel. Let that rear brake go and that "gyro" will whip you right off of your bike!

All straight from the AMA saftey handbook :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
JFScheck said:
Let that rear brake go and that "gyro" will whip you right off of your bike!
Ahh! the imfamous "Highside" crash. Never chop the throttle in reaction to a skid. Those of us who grew up on dirt bikes know this to be true. Any advanced MC course teaches this as well. Who among us wouldn't benefit from more training. As an instructor at a track school once said, "the more you are offended by this remark, the more likely it is to be true."

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yep, the training is great just for the reminders of what those Cage drivers aren't looking at...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts