V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Before I start asking questions, let me say this forum has been a wealth of info for me in deciding on what I wanted to with my bike. I've been lurking around for a couple of months studying up some and finally decided to go with SERT. This past weekend i changed my pipes to the SE II slip ons and swapped to the SE stage one breather. I picked up the sert at my local stealership and downloaded the canned stage one map. After about 50 miles of riding, no problems..but i pulled the plugs and the bike seems to still be lean. I was wondering if you guys could lead me a little into what values i should change (and ballpark how much) just to richen things up a bit. I don't really want a map from anyone....just a little guidance in my studyin'

Thanks for all the info so far!

Steve
05 superglide

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Go into the front and rear AFR tables and back all the red cells (14.7) off to 13.9
That should get you started.
Any decel popping?
And SAVE THE MAP WITH A NEW FILE NAME SO YOU DON'T OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL. Do this each time, and change the part number as well, so you can tell which map is in your ECU.

HTH,

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave!

I don't have any decel popping....maybe just a slightttttt burble at low rpm ..say a downshift from 3rd to 2nd easing thru the neighborhood....I just want a little more enrichment.

Again, thanks for the info, and i've enjoyed a couple of hours reading thru your trials and tribs.....i know you've learned the SERT the hard way!

Steve

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
You're more than welcome.
I prefer learning from other's mistakes, too!
Don't always work out like that, though...:badmood:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah....it worked good for my bike.....my buddy's seemed a tad too rich when he tried it on his...so he changed the values to 14.2.....try it both ways and see what works best!

Steve

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
What MegaGlide said...

Datamulch said:
Hey all,

Before I start asking questions, let me say this forum has been a wealth of info for me in deciding on what I wanted to with my bike. I've been lurking around for a couple of months studying up some and finally decided to go with SERT. This past weekend i changed my pipes to the SE II slip ons and swapped to the SE stage one breather. I picked up the sert at my local stealership and downloaded the canned stage one map. After about 50 miles of riding, no problems..but i pulled the plugs and the bike seems to still be lean. I was wondering if you guys could lead me a little into what values i should change (and ballpark how much) just to richen things up a bit. I don't really want a map from anyone....just a little guidance in my studyin'

Thanks for all the info so far!

Steve
05 superglide

I too benefited from the advice of MegaGlide and other good folk in this forum when I did a stage I upgrade and bought a SERT like you. I started with the Stage I map and changed the AFR red cells per MegaGlide's advice. Also, I reduced all the values in the Decel Enleanment table by 50% to stop the decel popping. I'm sure a qualified tech with a Dyno could get even better power, but I'm very happy with the results considering I'm a novice. My bike runs great and I get about 40 MPG. The guys here are great.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I, too, used the table mods from Megaglide, and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey mega,
i just recieved my sert yesterday and havent got a clue even after reading what you said to do above. can you give me a more detailed step by step procedure??
P.S. I have an 06 dyna with the closed loop 02 sensors and the "E" version software.

Any help appreciated big time

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that toshiba will work! just run somewhere and pick up a serial to usb adapter!

datamulch

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Go into the front and rear AFR tables and back all the red cells (14.7) off to 13.9
That should get you started.
Any decel popping?
And SAVE THE MAP WITH A NEW FILE NAME SO YOU DON'T OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL. Do this each time, and change the part number as well, so you can tell which map is in your ECU.

HTH,
Mega, can the files be renamed to anything, say "Tweaked Stage 1.mt6" or do you have to rename it with the 127XXXXXX.MT6 convention? I'm playing with my new one today.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Renamed to anything. You'll want to change the part number, too so you can keep track of which one is in your scoot.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Thanks Dave!

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Be aware that the '06 Dynas are a bit different in regards to SERT programming. If you open up the advanced tuning mode, you'll notice a table called "Closed Loop Bias". This table controls the O2 sensors and how the ECM reacts to data they provide. If you only adjust the AFR values, you'll be battling the sensors which are set to a certain voltage. It's hard to explain and I am not 100% certain of exactly how to explain it anyway... here is a cut and paste from the SERT manual -

"Tuning with Closed-Loop
Only calibrations that are closed-loop capable can be used for closed-loop operation. When a calibration is opened in Tuning Mode, a box in the upper right region of the screen will indicate if a calibration is intended for open or closed-loop operation. The AFR table controls the operating conditions in which the ECM will enable closed-loop. The AFR cell must equal 14.6 for the ECM to enable closed-loop operation. This allows the user to control if and when the bike is in closed-loop simply using the AFR table.

The new table that has been added this year is the Closed-Loop Bias table. This table is used to shift the AFR richer or leaner during closed-loop operation. This table is a function of engine speed and map load. The cell values are the switching voltage that the ECM controls to. A lower voltage will control leaner, and a higher number controls richer. This table is used by the ECM in addition to the AFR table to determine what AFR to control to.

Example: Using calibration 141NX001. Looking at 1750 rpm and 40 kPa, the AFR table shows 14.6 and the Closed-Loop Bias table shows 447mV. With these values, the ECM will be in closed-loop operation and will control to approximately 14.4. In order to change the fuel delivered to the engine in this condition, the Closed-Loop Bias table would be used. 500 mV will make the mixture slightly richer, and 400 mV will make the mixture slightly leaner.
Changes to the Closed-Loop Bias table are done for the same reasons the AFR table would be changed: power, fuel economy, knock, etc."

-end of quote

In other words, if you set the AFR cells to a value less than 14.6, your bike won't be running in closed-loop mode anymore. You can simply adjust the values assigned to the O2 sensors in the Closed Loop Bias table and the ECM will adjust the AFR for you.

At least that's how I read it. If I am wrong, someone please chime in here, because I will be tuning my bike soon.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Warranty

I have a 2006 Dyna Super glide w/SE ll pipes and better breathing air cleaner. HD did a computer software update on it and it runs well and without the popping you talk about and gets 50 mpg.

Why would someone want to change the HD software that works well? Doesn't tampering with the computer void the warranty? Losing weight will give you more performance than tampering with the computer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts