V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so let me ask opinions on an odd topic.

I know looks are all a personal choice, etc. but what would you think about rhino lining a tank and fenders on a Dyna Wide Glide? Ever seen a bike that was "painted" this way? I have it it done up in basic black now, and have half been kicking around the idea of Rhino Lining it.

I know, I know, at first though it would seem goofy, but man would it be durable! Easy to wash, no nick, cuts, scrapes or chips.

Is there a way you can get a Rhino Lining done with less "texture", you know, maybe a little less bumpy?

Thoughts?

·
professional doof
690 Posts
a buddy of mine built his scooter and did that to the frame. they color matched the Rhino lining to the color he painted his tank and fenders. looks prety cool although very unconventional. actually you can't tell untill you get prety close to it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice.
I actually did see a bike that was entirely lined;frame, tank, fenders, pretty much anything that didn't have movable parts and maybe even some of those.
It looked..unique..a little too much for my tastes, which is why I was wondering how it would look just tanek and fenders.

Thanks for the feedback Apache.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Strangest idea I have heard in a while... to each his own is what I say. Just make sure you post some pics.

I had a buddy back in the 60's who had his Mustang velvetized. They had a process where they sprayed some sort of glue on the body, ran a charge to it and sprayed on blue fibers (don't know if they were metal or what) more like filings really. The charge caused filings to stand straight up from the body and it looked like crushed velvet. I think the batman car had the same or similar treatment. No idea how it held up... we moved.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
They had Rhino Liner painted bike at the bike show in DC a few weeks ago. It was very plain, no chrome or "extras". I liked it.
It was black.

·
Registered
260 Posts
In my never ending search to try strange things, I finished the underside of my fenders with Dupli-Color's "Truck Bed Coating". During this winter's teardown I noticed that every square mm of it is still intact. Meaning that all the rocks kicked up in the past 2 years haven't been able to penetrate it.

It provides a unique texture. I wanted to do the entire bike like this but the black was glossier than I'd wished. I was searching for a flatter, Denim Black-type shade.
they color matched the Rhino lining to the color he painted his tank and fenders.
If it's possible to get a flatter black I'd definately consider this for my Street Fighter build. In fact, I'm going to start checking around on Monday.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
armorthane bedliners

I do bedliners and the texture on top ia actually an added step,it is quite smooth before this last step. I did my wheelbarrow and it is indestructable although it is very deep looking almost to the point of sagging or running.I would guess use very thin coat and make sure to use the uv additive so it wont fade.I havent bought any new product in a while it might not fade as bad.If your interested I would sell the whole set up,it is 3 yrs old paid $15.000 for it let it all go for half that. look up armorthane and you can see it. I myself think linex and armorthane have the best product.

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
Look into LINE-X Tougher and harder with less texture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Saw a Dyna done this way a few years ago, just tank & fenders. Looked really cool with the wrinkle/black against chrome fender stays, etc. Wonder if the stuff can be sandblasted off if one changes their mind.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
There's a bike making the rounds at the shows in the Mid-Atlantic area that has that finish...kinda cool....certainly don't have to worry about scratchin' it...

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I've had Line-X on my truck for 3 or 4 years, still looks brand new, I leave it in the elements year round.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Heres you a shot of a Rhino bike. The service manager of the dealership I bought my bikes from just put this bike together last August. I just happened to see it and took a few shots when I went in to pick up my Night Train last year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, it's helpful.
That picture sold me though, Country! Definitely going to go ahead with this I think.
I'll certainly look into the Line-X as well, thanks for that advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts