V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 RG and the far right windshield grommet hole must have been made too large at the factory. The doggone grommet just keeps popping out. Anybody have a fix? I've tried silicone but that doesn't work. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Try a plastic (or metal if it sticks) washer affixed to the back side of the fairing or to the grommet face with silicon adhesive.. :thumbsup:

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
When you say "grommet" are you talking about the brass insert, or something else? If it's the insert, epoxy.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Have you tried using a new wellnut to see if that will help?

You might be able to get a slightly large size wellnut if you do some searching around on the internet, which may be the best way out of the problem.

I have the same issue and have considered doing exactly that, but I managed to scrape by for the time being just using a new one. That hole is too big IMO and a different size wellnut should help out with that issue.

Let me know what you come up with so I don't have to repeat the effort! :whistle:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MegaGlide said:
When you say "grommet" are you talking about the brass insert, or something else? If it's the insert, epoxy.
The "grommet" or whatever it's called, is a piece of rubber with a brass nut in it that expands when you screw the windshield screw into it. I thought about epoxy but it has to be in just the right place so the screw will go in it, and the hole is so dang big I'm afraid I'll get it out of line. I've tried new ones and they just pop out as soon as that rubber mounted motor throws a little vibe. By the way, it's only one hole I'm having a problem with. But it's still a PITA to change windshields with the mounting system and weatherstripping. Guess I could take it to the dealer since it's still wrtd and let them bother with it, but I'ld rather do it myself.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Dwarthog, if you find some of those larger sizes I'ld appreciate it if you'ld let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gkellys, I guess that's what I'll try. Much oblige.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
stanc said:
Hey Dwarthog, if you find some of those larger sizes I'ld appreciate it if you'ld let me know. Thanks.
I googled this up.

http://www.desmoparts.com/ducati/wellnut/wellnut.htm

I am not sure what size we have in our RG though.

Here is something else that might help too.

http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/wellnut2.htm

The new one I am looking at in my hand right now says it is an H-1032, whatever that is, which is a new one I have to replace the ones in my windshield with. The above link is what I come up with when I google that.

Price is pretty cheap on them , they must not know yet they work on a harley or they would be a lot more expensive! :hystria:

Keep me posted on what you go with.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts