V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of this? I now have a hole on the back side of my inner primary. The bolt that the tensioner connect to some how failed from the inside of the primary. it broke lose inside the inner primary and the whole tensioner came loose. It also broke the "rail" that the tensioner adjusts up and down on. The tensioner is not stock. I believe it is a Baker design. The 2 screws that hold the adjuster rail are still tight and the nut that connects to the bolt connected to the inner primary is still tight. It seem to happen when the starter kicked back (carburated TW-37G's :wacko: ). Not looking for suggestions for new cams, just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before. I certainly haven't.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I've never heard of this. Perhaps the modified chain adjuster is the culprit. Wonder if the pieces could be welded?. A new inner primary is $$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Inner Primary

Start ebaying a inner primary. I just bought a used one for $30.00. No matter how many times I replace the seals on the back of that dam thing it won't stop leaking. I figued $30.00 was a cheap way to hopefully fix it for good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already bought one off ebay for $40. Ebay is definitely a bikers friend for cheap priced parts. Talked to my mechanic buddy and he has installed many of these tensioners with no problem. I did forget to mention that I have a Baker 23 tooth sprocket so the tensioner gets installed a little different. If anything could break on my bike it will; always been that way with every bike:huh:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts