V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much valve lift that this motor will support with unmodified original heads and valve train ? Mine had a lifter lock up and bent a pushrod and ruined the lifter block and cam. So was looking to upgrade from the ev72 that came in it but can’t find any information regarding clearance. Motor has less than 10k on it and still has 195 lbs compression on both cylinders

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
An ev72 had 560 lift,,, did the 72 come stock in the engine? revtech usually uses their cams..

I think you should concentrate on why these components failed,,, there is most likeny a trashed return side of the pump, from debris from the lifter/cam failure. And a high probability of the crank bearings catching some of the debris.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response. I haven’t taken the oil pump off yet The tappet screen didn’t have any metal in it. It appears that the lifter just failed but I can see wear on the other rollers and camshaft as well. The motor has maybe 7-8k on it. Was hoping I could go back with a woods cam but not sure I gave the correct valve springs or valve to piston clearance and was trying to avoid pulling the heads if possible. Revteck motors seem to get a bad rap. I had an 88 in 2000 that ran extremely well and I got 120 k out of it with one top end job at 50 k and one total rebuild later from over revving and knocked out a rod bearing but otherwise it held up quite well and was much faster than one would expect
An ev72 had 560 lift,,, did the 72 come stock in the engine? revtech usually uses their cams..

I think you should concentrate on why these components failed,,, there is most likeny a trashed return side of the pump, from debris from the lifter/cam failure. And a high probability of the crank bearings catching some of the debris.

I

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response. I haven’t taken the oil pump off yet The tappet screen didn’t have any metal in it. It appears that the lifter just failed but I can see wear on the other rollers and camshaft as well. The motor has maybe 7-8k on it. Was hoping I could go back with a woods cam but not sure I gave the correct valve springs or valve to piston clearance and was trying to avoid pulling the heads if possible. Revteck motors seem to get a bad rap. I had an 88 in 2000 that ran extremely well and I got 120 k out of it with one top end job at 50 k and one total rebuild later from over revving and knocked out a rod bearing but otherwise it held up quite well and was much faster than one would expect

I
I haven’t pulled the cam yet but Revteck shows the ev72 as the replacement part

1 - 5 of 5 Posts