V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ya know, ya get what ya pay for. If it's cheap then it's cheap. My opinion, which is worth what it cost, if you want a big motor then it's S&S, for a 103 or smaller it's Harley. Probably the best hot rod motors are hand assembled from a combination of parts from those 2 and aftermarket suppliers. A motor is never any better than the guy that put it together. If going fast is the main consideration then for around 9 grand you can buy a used Hayabusa that will do 9s and last.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You know, I just have to throw down a comment here. I've had bikes since I was twelve and I've got a '92 FLHTC with a 96" S&S and a 2005 custom with a Revtech 110. Both engines run strong and frankly, the only problem I've ever had was putting a battery in the Harley.

Anywhere you go online, you'll find people talking s&#* about this power plant and that one. My brother has had his own shop for 31 years now and without bias, he's one of the most knowledgeable and level-headed guys I know when it comes to bike talk. He's seen every brand known come pulling in the parking lot, either on its wheels or on a trailer bed. When I asked him sometime back about motors, his answer was this:

"All of these motors have the same general theme and layout. They're all relatively high compression V-twin engines with considerable horsepower. What causes the problems to begin in 99.99% of cases is directly attributed to the operator, not the motor. These guys all buy big v-twin power-plants with the notion that it's even more reliable than a standard street touring motor. They push these damn things to the edge sometimes because they just it's all part of the chopper machismo thing. These motors are high-performance and I'll say it again, high performance. When you get a motor in that class, it's not going to yield the sort of endurance you see with lower hp motors meant for touring and that sort of thing. You're talking race-class performance motors that undergo tremendous strain from drivers that use them in the same context as a standard power-plant. I've got guys comin' in here and telling me to get rid of this motor and that one, trading up to something bigger as though they think it's built more durable. So here it is; you run the flat piss out of a high-peformance engine, whether its S&S, Rev-tech, Ultima or any other brand, and you're going to have problems, sometimes big problems. That's the price you pay. My advice is buy what you want and drive it like you've got common sense. It'll last as long as any of the others with the right kind of maintenance and awareness of its limitations in the context of street use."

So I bought my 96" S&S and later a 110" Rev-tech and you know what? He was absolutely 100% correct. I have never had a problem with either motor. I treat the engines with care. I don't over-rev them, I don't push them to WOT, I don't horse them around. I use their power to get me where I'm going and take great care in always recognizing them as high-performance engines whose reliability is entirely based upon how they're used. These over-size V-twins are placed in custom builds because it's all part of the scheme, but that doesn't mean these motors adapt differently under high-performance use simply because they're on a street bike. You push them hard, they leak. You push them really hard, they break. All of them.

Now that's just my take on it, but it's based on a guy I know pretty damn well and his direct experience with just about any motor made for the past 31 years.
Hi This is a reply and yes its another 10 years later- I also have a chopper with a S and S 111 plus a HARLEY WITH a 88 Rev tech - the 88 has now done close to 50000 miles or 85000 Ks with no issues at all - none and the s and s motor the same- put top quality oil in and change it make sure use new gaskets seals etc and take care and dont ride it like you want to win a race then no issues- none

21 - 23 of 23 Posts