V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the spot for this question but... What are people's opinions of RevTech engines and transmissions? Are they reliable? I have an 02 Roadking.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I had one of the 100 ci evo style. rebuilt at 23000 mi. .010 over .because of loose spec causing piston slap. IMHO. rebuilt again at 45000. because valve guide came loose in head. I tore it completely down and split the cases because they were leaking motor oil into primary. r/t puts a insert in the left case for the crank output shaft bearing it started leaking a little at first then 1 qt every 400mi towards the end. The thing ran with a lot of power 90 hp 98tq after some tuning (getting and timing) put still ran 80hp 92 tq. out of the box (dyno numbers) . I will never have another one though cheap!!! made and I SAY THIS WITH FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE. Got to go to work or would tell of more horror stories
Jim Kennedy.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The upside they offer a good warranty LOL stay away buy a crate S&S and dont look back other than maybe to see where the rest of the group is at. We are installing a S&S 113 today in a 97 RK. Should be a fun ride once done. This is a MM bike so we are in the process of gutting the wire harness as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello,i have problem whith revetc100,leakin oil from cluch side from crankshaft sprocket seal.new seal,new bearings,engine only 8000miles,i rebuild des engine.and steel leakin.pleas help des my first hd.thanks

·
--Doof 43--
323 Posts
My brother inlaw bought one thinking he got a great deal. I told him he did get a great deal.....of problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:badmood: This is first hand experience with the RevTech motor's. They SUCK to the highest SUCKNESS !!! My first 100ci went just over 12K miles and was replaced due to oil pressure problem and motor #2 just blew the lower end out all over Hwy 58 in Virginia with a little over 10k. I will never have again or recomend a RevTech to anyone. It is a piece of S#!+ that is MADE IN KOREA... YES KOREA. If you work hard for your $$$ and want reliability "DO NOT BUY A RevTech" It will leave you stranded :chopper:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The trannys are ok, but the engines are a crapshoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Couldn't PAY me to own a RevTech tranny!!! My 6 speed broke a gear and locked up on me at 40mph!!! All bad... Now, my RevTech110... Great torque but it leaks oil as well. Dang soft chinese metal i guess. I have heli coiled and time-serted most all holes now. Helped out with the leaks, but that 110 shakes so much I"m tightening bolts more than I ever did on my old Panhead...

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are Rev Tech motors and tranny's really make in Korea???? I find no info anywhere yet.....

So far 20k on my 100" and 6-speed with not too many troubles.
Scattered the clutch at 11k, got a new one under warrentee....
Igniton crapped out at 15k.
Comp sprocket chatterd, so I replaced it at 18k
Slight oil leak, after I bottomed out on a high spot

Runs like a scallded dog tho!!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
My experience with Revtech motors has been that there is a distinct lack of attention to detail. In the past they have come to me from the factory looking like someone hit them with a rattle can of black paint and the quality wasn't too good straight out of the box. Last time I touched one was about seven years ago so don't know if anything has changed since then but I certainly haven't been recommending them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You know, I just have to throw down a comment here. I've had bikes since I was twelve and I've got a '92 FLHTC with a 96" S&S and a 2005 custom with a Revtech 110. Both engines run strong and frankly, the only problem I've ever had was putting a battery in the Harley.

Anywhere you go online, you'll find people talking s&#* about this power plant and that one. My brother has had his own shop for 31 years now and without bias, he's one of the most knowledgeable and level-headed guys I know when it comes to bike talk. He's seen every brand known come pulling in the parking lot, either on its wheels or on a trailer bed. When I asked him sometime back about motors, his answer was this:

"All of these motors have the same general theme and layout. They're all relatively high compression V-twin engines with considerable horsepower. What causes the problems to begin in 99.99% of cases is directly attributed to the operator, not the motor. These guys all buy big v-twin power-plants with the notion that it's even more reliable than a standard street touring motor. They push these damn things to the edge sometimes because they just it's all part of the chopper machismo thing. These motors are high-performance and I'll say it again, high performance. When you get a motor in that class, it's not going to yield the sort of endurance you see with lower hp motors meant for touring and that sort of thing. You're talking race-class performance motors that undergo tremendous strain from drivers that use them in the same context as a standard power-plant. I've got guys comin' in here and telling me to get rid of this motor and that one, trading up to something bigger as though they think it's built more durable. So here it is; you run the flat piss out of a high-peformance engine, whether its S&S, Rev-tech, Ultima or any other brand, and you're going to have problems, sometimes big problems. That's the price you pay. My advice is buy what you want and drive it like you've got common sense. It'll last as long as any of the others with the right kind of maintenance and awareness of its limitations in the context of street use."

So I bought my 96" S&S and later a 110" Rev-tech and you know what? He was absolutely 100% correct. I have never had a problem with either motor. I treat the engines with care. I don't over-rev them, I don't push them to WOT, I don't horse them around. I use their power to get me where I'm going and take great care in always recognizing them as high-performance engines whose reliability is entirely based upon how they're used. These over-size V-twins are placed in custom builds because it's all part of the scheme, but that doesn't mean these motors adapt differently under high-performance use simply because they're on a street bike. You push them hard, they leak. You push them really hard, they break. All of them.

Now that's just my take on it, but it's based on a guy I know pretty damn well and his direct experience with just about any motor made for the past 31 years.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Jus my 2 cents here, If it was my RK and I wanted more power I'd rebuild my Harley motor. To me if you put any other motor on a Harley than a Harley you've ruined the bike. Now if I was building a chopper I'd opt for the S&S the main reason being that the Revtech is from Korea. If I wanted to ride rice I'd buy a Honda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
6 speed trannys

In reply to your question about the Revtech trannys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,STAY AWAY, Just had one go pop on me after only 34k !!!!!!!!!! No oil leaks, no problems ,,,Till ,, what looks like the main bearing on the secondary shaft decided to self distruct, you can guess the rest, now in the process of rebuildin with oe box.

One very strange thing, you try and find the Co on the web to have a bitch at them !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Call CCI. Custom chrome inc.
They have/had? A tech line. Not that they were any help.
Worst motor i have ever owned. Never again.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Halloo. Ok, would it be worth shellin' out 700 bucks USD for a 4x4 100 with a lot of rod play? A buddy's friend has one....I'm thinkin' "hmmmm, pretty cheap"...

C......

·
Outsider
1,339 Posts
My brother has had his own shop for 31 years now and without bias, his answer was this:

"All of these motors have the same general theme and layout. They're all relatively high compression V-twin engines with considerable horsepower. What causes the problems to begin in 99.99% of cases is directly attributed to the operator, not the motor. These guys all buy big v-twin power-plants with the notion that it's even more reliable than a standard street touring motor. They push these damn things to the edge sometimes because they just it's all part of the chopper machismo thing. These motors are high-performance and I'll say it again, high performance. When you get a motor in that class, it's not going to yield the sort of endurance you see with lower hp motors meant for touring and that sort of thing. You're talking race-class performance motors that undergo tremendous strain from drivers that use them in the same context as a standard power-plant. I've got guys comin' in here and telling me to get rid of this motor and that one, trading up to something bigger as though they think it's built more durable. So here it is; you run the flat piss out of a high-peformance engine, whether its S&S, Rev-tech, Ultima or any other brand, and you're going to have problems, sometimes big problems. That's the price you pay. My advice is buy what you want and drive it like you've got common sense. It'll last as long as any of the others with the right kind of maintenance and awareness of its limitations in the context of street use."
C'mon, man... Do you really think those 90 HP RevTech 100" motors are race engines? High strung race motors?

So I bought my 96" S&S and later a 110" Rev-tech and you know what? He was absolutely 100% correct. I have never had a problem with either motor. I treat the engines with care. I don't over-rev them, I don't push them to WOT, I don't horse them around. I use their power to get me where I'm going and take great care in always recognizing them as high-performance engines whose reliability is entirely based upon how they're used.
Why spend the bucks for a "race engine" (yeah, right) that is never going to see wide open throttle? You can't win a race unless you FINISH the race. A REAL race motor is built to run and run hard.

A 100" race motor would be making 140 HP easily and it would not be streetable. Not because it will break, but because it needs race fuel and makes no low end torque.

If you're gonna baby your bike, just do a stage 1 on a stocker....
If you want something potent, spend the money for the G2 126".

·
Registered
1 Posts
heres my piece....
ive got 2 chops with revtech motors, & theyre my favourite 2 bikes !
the power curve is tremendous !
however, what one is doing is oiling plugs if left for a couple of weeks, & also óverruns'when changing between gears at high revs, which is really freaky to hear when you hear the motor passing you...
the other one id just perfect. i love these motors & the 6sp box is awesome. just dont throw more than 120hp at it.
my other bikes......
TP 124"...beautiful motor, linear power. meaning nowhere near the torgue curve at low revs but hold on later on. started leaking at the lower cases after 10k,s but otherwise bulletproof. all time fav motor.
113"& 120'ultimas...CRAP...first & last word...bullshit power figures, terrible power delivery & rough in every respect.
S&S 96", 113" a stroked out 137""...balance issues, low power & suspect wear on pistons, however the 137 after being rebuilt was phenominal ! by far the fastest vtwin i have ever owned, but ported & flowed for mid/top so trigger happy but reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How true is this, well done... For those who post comments about not wanting anything made by rice munchers ... Take a deep breath & pour yourself a beer into that genuine Harley beer mug that was made in China...now look at your bike....your new all AMERICAN Harley Davidson ...any idea how many parts on that critter were made by rice munchers??
I bet you have some aftermarket parts... Perhaps kurry aching ... Guess where their made ..yep the good ole Nippon States of Asia ...if you removed all the parts on a new Harley Davidson that we're made by Asian countries or outside the USA there would not be much left and you would be catching the bus home.. Happy days Brothers ride safe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts