V-Twin Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had the RevTech DFO on both my '03 RK and now on an '05 RG......the units work great and I have never had a problem with them. On the '03 RK, I installed the DFO when the bike was completely stock.......when I got it set up right I noticed that it eliminated a slow speed surge which indicates that the bike was too lean from the factory...........have the "sealth" unit on the '05 RG and runs great despite all the BS the dealer keeps feeding me..........they won't even install the Race Fueler anymore........they will only do a Power Commander with a dyno run..........imagine that!:2flips:

·
Registered
36 Posts
danc said:
Hey Brrujo,
I have the same setup on my FLHX. What was your recommended setting from Dobeck? Mine runs great with the recommended 2:45, 4:30, 4, 4 but it does pop (more of a gurgle) on hard decel. Let me know how yours has been running, any changes to settings?
Dan

Dan,

settings suggested by Dobeck as follows:

G 2:45
Y 3:00
R 4:00
RPM 7:00

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
05 Ultra. SE 95" Kit, 203 cam, Stg 2 download, D&D Fatcat. Installing a Dobeck DFO this week. Any recommendations for initial settings? Tuning tips and / or lessons learned?

·
Registered
3 Posts
?? Dfo For 05 Flhtci

A lot of good information out there. For the folks that have installed one how hard was it to hook up? Is just slightly raising the back of the tank enough to give access for the injector plugs etc.?

Thanks, Pete

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Pretty simple to hook up. I only raised the rear of the tank as far as the console on top would allow. I was able to ge my fingers in to unhook and hookup the injector connectors. Kinda tight. I guess removing the tank would give you better access to the plugs. Will add a bit to you install time.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
sixgun95 said:
05 Ultra. SE 95" Kit, 203 cam, Stg 2 download, D&D Fatcat. Installing a Dobeck DFO this week. Any recommendations for initial settings? Tuning tips and / or lessons learned?
This is what I have, bike runs good, don't know if its optimum. What do you all think based on my build?

G: 2:30
Y: 4:30
R: 4:00
RPM: 4:00

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Sixguns,

You can change the 4 RPM pot to 7, and it won't fuel under 1200 rpm's. Check the dobeckperformance.com website, and click on support.

Thorns

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
I posted this at the Dobeck forum, and thought I might get response here also....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been through all the posts here, and think I understand the units operation...at least well enough to try to work through things. So...lets start.

2003 FLSTCI (Heritage)
Stock TC88B
No downloads
RevTech DFO
Ness Big Sucker
eBay SE tapered staggered shorty duals (not SEII)
New crossover gaskets
New SE exhaust gaskets
I run mid-grade gas (California 89 octane) and have never heard single a ping
Most, not all riding is 2-up. Solo riding is more throttle happy.

The DFO has been on the bike for a while, but the SE muffs are a new install. I was running punched stock muffs. Sound was so-so and I was getting between 34-38 mpg.

My first tank of gas with the old settings:

G 3
Y 6
R 4
RPM 4 gave me 33.11 mpg. It was 2-up with very little but some hard throttle.

Overall seat-of-pants dyno from both of us was that it certainly pulled harder. I'm not really experienced with tuning, but I got an impression that hard throttle while at speed while better, also had a little some of that "throaty bog".

After studying the posts here, today I made some adjustments:

G 2.30
Y 2.30
R 3
RPM 7

I made two hard runs down the street. The seat-dyno says it is doing very very well. The "bog" (bog is a loose term, it never was severe, just a hint) seems better and I think it's really got power.

I did notice after these last #'s went in and I revved it, the G & Y would come on and when the throttle shut, they'd go out and the red would give a few blinks as the revs fell. Normal?

The true test of all this will be the MPG's after this tank.

Am I going the right way? Any suggestions?

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
Well, still with these:

G 2.30
Y 2.30
R 3
RPM 7

And except for 17 miles 1-up, setting up the DFO and twisting the wick, 104.2 (total) miles, 50% 2-up, 70mph freeway and 50% up and down Ortega Hwy. (3000ft alt).

EDIT: Math was wrong only got this...34.84mpg. Still need improvement.

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
In reading the posts relative to the installation and adjustment of the DFO, it appears that, depending on the confiruration of your bike, you recieve some "suggested" settings which, if they do not produce the desired results necessitate more adjustments. How do you know what settings at that point? Is there any specific process you follow for those secondary adjustments? Is is just a matter of hit or miss? Make adjustments, ride and see how it responds, and if not satisfactory make more adjustments, ride, etc.
I am admittedly EFI challenged and do not fully understand what all is involved in adding a furl management system to a bike. It seems that if a system such as a Power Commander is used, there is at least a computer program that can be ran to help tune the bike.
Am I making this harder than it really is?
I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks, Steve.

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
OK. New plugs, Champion RA6HC (one step colder), one up, 62.1 miles, not over 70, most under 65, lots at 60 and under. No serious wick twisting, just a tiny bit of acceleration when needed in traffic.

G2.5 was bumped to 3.0minus before the ride because of the alleged lean condition.

37.682 mpg.

I want more.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
That is for the 06 dynas. I believe that they have extra provisions for the o2 sensors. will not fit any other model though.....1340 GenIII for the 2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna p. 1 / 1 Techlusions all new Third Generation Technology is now available for the 06 Dyna.

pasted from website

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
You pretty much said it.........

g480628 said:
In reading the posts relative to the installation and adjustment of the DFO, it appears that, depending on the confiruration of your bike, you recieve some "suggested" settings which, if they do not produce the desired results necessitate more adjustments. How do you know what settings at that point? Is there any specific process you follow for those secondary adjustments? Is is just a matter of hit or miss? Make adjustments, ride and see how it responds, and if not satisfactory make more adjustments, ride, etc. I am admittedly EFI challenged and do not fully understand what all is involved in adding a furl management system to a bike. It seems that if a system such as a Power Commander is used, there is at least a computer program that can be ran to help tune the bike.
Am I making this harder than it really is?
I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks, Steve.
Steve,

This just about sums up the DFO experience for me! You don't get any other feedback except for your fuel consumption; obviously this takes up a lot of time. And I have an excessive fuel consumption problem similar to the posts by Duhast.

I have gone over to using a SERT, don't have enough road time in yet to see if the problem has been solved.

Did you right click on the link and download the document in Post 148? This is about the best instructions you will find for "tuning" the DFO.

All the best, John

·
Registered
417 Posts
Dfo . . .

. . . has been working well on my '05 Ultra. I'll post settings in the appropriate forum, but thought I'd share some observations here. I have been pleased with the DFO/TFI unit - it does what it's advertised to do. My bike runs smoother, pulls harder and more consistently throughout the powerband, and there is no more exhaust decel popping - just a smoother and more responsive ride all around. The unit itself was easy to install, though the directions and illustrations that you get with the unit aren't all that great. I got the newer Revtech Stealth DFO HP. Took about an hour to install - go through the steps you'd do for partial tank removal on an EFI bike and then it's just plug 'n' play.

This is not to say that it's easy to get the DFO dialed in just right, though. It's taken patience and several tanks of gas (tracking mpg, performance observations, and the corresponding DFO settings). But for the performance I'm getting, I am content with going from 40 mpg to 37 mpg for the gains. (I have a 95" SE Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner, Stage I remap, and Rinehart true duals.) Still may do some adjusting, but very pleased with the performance improvements for under $200.

Toughest part about all of it is keeping the bike under 75 or 80 on the highway or good biways now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Don't know much about the SERT except when someone tunes it for your bike he better know what he/she is doing. I went with a DFO and then a PCIII. Went back to the DFO. Runs beautiful. No hesitation, no surging, farting, coughing, back firing at any time etc. etc. My fuel comsumption is around 40 mpg's. Can't remember the pot settings but it took me a bit to get them where I wanted them. My pipes have a nice black coating on the inside but not to thick. Plugs look good. Mild engine build done on the bike. TO me the DFO is the way to go. Very simple and easy to use if you follow the tunning the instuctions like you should. Also make sure you have 0 leaks/intake/exhaust. keepem sharp

·
Registered
40 Posts
DFO or HD and mild mods

My first EFI is '03 FLSTFi. I'm planning only mild mods to it, air (SE or Big Sucker) and slip on mufflers (HDSE or other) without headwork or new cams. At least until this EPA thing settles down.

Here's my question. Should I get and use DFO or go the dealer for Stage I flash for this?

I'm an OFG (old fat guy) who doesn't plan to make a Fat Boy into a crotch rocket challenger. So I'm more interested in smooth low end torque than in high end output. It won't be a dyno showstopper, and where I ride is relatively low altitude and no mountains within many hundreds of miles.

Sorry if this inquiry doesn't belong here, but it was the closest I could find to general EFI. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Rev Tech

I have a V&H fuel pak on 05 RKC F.I. I'm running V&H True Duals with 2 1/4 Wild Pigs and I can get a setting with the Fuel Pak, it sucks that V&H does not give setting for this setup, my "BAD" I should have checked this out before I bought the fuel pak.
I like the setup I have with wild pigs and true duals, stage 1, but it just sucks that the fuel management i bought does not work. I was maybe going to buy the Revtech dfo stealth and install that, will this solve my probelm??

I just don't like running my bike with the setup i have and not knowing if this bad for the bike, my rear sparkplug is very very white and not sure if its the fuel pak setting i'm using. I call V&H tech line and they don't want to hear it because it's not there mufflers. Please help with any suggestions.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts