V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just had some misfortune with my 92 Dyna last week.
THe transmission pulley stripped out and took the mainshaft with it. To get the old 5 speed back up and running, I will have to spend about the same amount as buying a new Revtech 6 speed, so I am leaning that way...
Anyone have any comments they feel they can share regarding Revtech, quality or longevity? I know there was a recall on the early 6 cog units, but I understand they have it fixed... (kind of like the SE/HD ones when they first came out)...-2$en#e-

THanks in advance!

·
Registered
90 Posts
DyNasty said:
Hey guys,

Just had some misfortune with my 92 Dyna last week.
THe transmission pulley stripped out and took the mainshaft with it. To get the old 5 speed back up and running, I will have to spend about the same amount as buying a new Revtech 6 speed, so I am leaning that way...
Anyone have any comments they feel they can share regarding Revtech, quality or longevity? I know there was a recall on the early 6 cog units, but I understand they have it fixed... (kind of like the SE/HD ones when they first came out)...-2$en#e-

THanks in advance!

I've been running one in a '96 RoadKing w/88hp for 6 yrs. 30,000 miles (it's been the *2nd* bike for 3 yrs.). No problems, before and after factory update.

Terry C.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I've been running one in a 2000 Road King 106" stroker for over 15,000 with no problems so far. Had a baker before. It went south; however I abused it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are they actually a "drop in" unit, or is there anything else you need to complete them? (like a pulley)

For reference, I run a 92 Dyna that is pretty well done up.
It is in the 90+ hp range, but I have not had it dyno run (I don't want to subject it to a bunch of full power pulls for no good reason, other that to say " yep this thing has XX# of ponies). ~ And there are no bike dyno outfits within 400 miles...:nope:

THe engine is bored .030" over and the jugs are fitted with 10.5:1cr Screamin' Eagle forged pistons. THe cam and valvetrain is Screamin' Eagle SEII (kit with springs, retainers and chrome moly pushrods.)
Induction is a Mikuni HS42 with a SE Filter. Pipes are Vance & Hines with the baffles removed, but end caps installed. THe heads are ported and polished.
Ignition is Dyna programable with an SE coil. Accel 8.8mm wires and NGK plugs finish up the duty of lighting things off (since my Spyke compression release / plug units failed).
I did all the work myself, because there are so many inexperienced technicians out there. ~ I don't want to come accross as sounding arrogant, but I have seen first hand what others pay for ... And the lack of quality work is just scary, if not totally obscene!:nope:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jbxmn said:
I've been running one in a 2000 Road King 106" stroker for over 15,000 with no problems so far. Had a baker before. It went south; however I abused it.
Did the RevTech trans. come with the primary bearing inner sleeve already installed, or did you have to pull your original?

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
RevTech

If it was me, I'd check into another brand. RevTech (custom chrome) primarily a Taiwan/Chinese knock off. Strike one, second, This MAY just be an ugly rumor, but I'd heard from 2 sources of a LOT of management/supply problems at Custom Chrome. Parts being on extended back orders, or not available, and warehouses being closed. The rumor is that they are on their last legs. That might or might not make future warrantee issues a problem. Can any one out there deny or confirm this? All this not withstanding, There is only one reason to buy a RevTech anything, PRICE. Any product can end up w/ defects, even a Baker. I'd spend a little more and get a better (USA made) product. Just my .02¢ Tim

·
Registered
90 Posts
DyNasty said:
Are they actually a "drop in" unit, or is there anything else you need to complete them? (like a pulley)

For reference, I run a 92 Dyna that is pretty well done up.
It is in the 90+ hp range, but I have not had it dyno run (I don't want to subject it to a bunch of full power pulls for no good reason, other that to say " yep this thing has XX# of ponies). ~ And there are no bike dyno outfits within 400 miles...:nope:

THe engine is bored .030" over and the jugs are fitted with 10.5:1cr Screamin' Eagle forged pistons. THe cam and valvetrain is Screamin' Eagle SEII (kit with springs, retainers and chrome moly pushrods.)
Induction is a Mikuni HS42 with a SE Filter. Pipes are Vance & Hines with the baffles removed, but end caps installed. THe heads are ported and polished.
Ignition is Dyna programable with an SE coil. Accel 8.8mm wires and NGK plugs finish up the duty of lighting things off (since my Spyke compression release / plug units failed).
I did all the work myself, because there are so many inexperienced technicians out there. ~ I don't want to come accross as sounding arrogant, but I have seen first hand what others pay for ... And the lack of quality work is just scary, if not totally obscene!:nope:
Gearset drop-in. I dremeled a few spots for clearance, more for peace of mind than out of necessity.

My RK has the Head-Quarters System 95 kit. I hammer the begeeus out of it from time to time, no problems so far.

TC

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1bdBagr said:
If it was me, I'd check into another brand. RevTech (custom chrome) primarily a Taiwan/Chinese knock off. Strike one, second, This MAY just be an ugly rumor, but I'd heard from 2 sources of a LOT of management/supply problems at Custom Chrome. Parts being on extended back orders, or not available, and warehouses being closed. The rumor is that they are on their last legs. That might or might not make future warrantee issues a problem. Can any one out there deny or confirm this? All this not withstanding, There is only one reason to buy a RevTech anything, PRICE. Any product can end up w/ defects, even a Baker. I'd spend a little more and get a better (USA made) product. Just my .02¢ Tim
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A company that big, being on the way out?
I guess it happens. How did you hear it? I placed an order with J&P Cycles for one and sure enough, it was backordered...
Further details are requested! They have a 10% cancellation fee! Holy [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Custom Chrome

CCI has just down sized and closed 3 warehouses but the rep assured me that the REVTech line will still be around. I don't think they will close up shop but when I order parts they are my #3 choice behind Drag and Bikers Choice. If everyone else does the same they may not survive but time will tell.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Spyke makes a drop in 6 speed gear set I have about 20,000 on mine and no problems. The 6th gear is great turning 3 grand at 80 mph with 337 primary gearing. You need some HP to turn it in 6th I don't think a stock motor would work good with it.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
1bdBagr said:
If it was me, I'd check into another brand. RevTech (custom chrome) primarily a Taiwan/Chinese knock off. Strike one, I'd spend a little more and get a better (USA made) product. Just my .02¢ Tim
First of all, Revtech is Korean. Second, there are plenty of post with problems from Baker, SE and Jims tranny's. I don't recall seeing any about Revtech. Years ago people bitched about Japanees radios and cars, don't seem to hear much of that anymore. I buy American (SE) when I can, for my own reasons. But dissing RevTech for quality is lame.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
REVTECH 6-speed gears are narrower than stock 5-speed gears to make them fit into the stock case. The indy shop around here sold a significant number over the years with little or no problems. They don't put them in for high torque applications 103 and better for reason of too high pressure on the gear surfaces. Baker or other full size gear designs come to mind.
REVTECH engines are a whole different story though

·
Registered
556 Posts
My cousin has built a few choppers,for himself and friends. He uses RevTech engines and trannies and has had good experience with them. He has had an engine grenade and it was replaced, no questions asked. The price is right and if used for the proper application, the stuff works and if it breaks, it is replaced. Granted it is inconvenient when it breaks but, really, what else can you ask for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2008 build with a revtech 6 speed. Only issue was the main seal needed replacing in August this year. I smile everytime i put it into first. Smooth as silk. Change fluid every year. No metal. So far i couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Btw. 110cci revtech gen3 and other than:
A-learning its peculiarities for working on it. (Gaskets 92 fx, mostly)
b-a leaky rocker box gasket
c-having to replace the shift shaft o ring
.....zero issues.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
why dont you guys start new posts???
rhis one is 13 years old,,, revtech has failed,, been bought and resurrected twice since this post was made,,, I have no idea of it's current status,, I dont use revtech products on any builds..

·
Registered
3 Posts
why dont you guys start new posts???
rhis one is 13 years old,,, revtech has failed,, been bought and resurrected twice since this post was made,,, I have no idea of it's current status,, I dont use revtech products on any builds..
For some reason it popped as recent for me. My bad

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I forgot about this post. Not long after this post, my revtech went to pieces without warning. No more revtech for me. I guess I should have listened.

I hope I didn't lead anyone down a bad path.

Now have Rivera Primo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts