V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FXR
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been any talk of a Buell being built around H-D's V-Rod Revolution motor? It seems like a perfect fit for a superbike crotch rocket. The new H-D Street Rod with mid controls seems to be begging for Mr. Buell to get his hands on it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mr. Buell is not interested in the Rev. motor. Too heavy and bulky. Look at the new XBRR race bike, 150hp 100 tq. with 45 degree 1350 v-twin ; 350 lbs. This will trickle down to the street bikes.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
I'd like to see a Revolution motor in a sport-touring chassis. Why they insist on drag bike geometry is beyond me.

·
FXR
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sprung said:
Mr. Buell is not interested in the Rev. motor. Too heavy and bulky.
i thought the revolution motor was based on the motor used in H-D's AMA road race bikes they ran back in the 90's.

·
FXR
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The article in the following link mentions "The V-Rod development can trace its roots back to the VR-1000 Superbike race program that was created by Harley-Davidson's Powertrain Engineering team and Porsche Engineering in Stuttgart."

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/harley_vrod.htm

I remember seeing a show on the Discovery Channel about the development of the V-Rod and it discussing the VR-1000 race program. The Porsche part of the development was with the heads if I remember correctly.

Here's a link that shows the VR-1000...

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=2

·
Registered
219 Posts
cainpole said:
The article in the following link mentions "The V-Rod development can trace its roots back to the VR-1000 Superbike race program that was created by Harley-Davidson's Powertrain Engineering team and Porsche Engineering in Stuttgart."

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/harley_vrod.htm

I remember seeing a show on the Discovery Channel about the development of the V-Rod and it discussing the VR-1000 race program. The Porsche part of the development was with the heads if I remember correctly.

Here's a link that shows the VR-1000...

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=2
Yes, you are correct, but the Rev. motor and cooling system is still too heavy for Buell's taste.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I remember a qoute from Buell in the '90s stating that he would not use liquid cooling in his bikes. I think he has a thing for the air cooled and that's evident with the XBRR.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Aslong as they can make air cooled motors that comply with EPA regs I think you'll find they will stick with the lighter engines.

I believe the Buell philosophy is to make bikes that are quick in the real world rather than produce the highest horsepower that 99% of the time can't be used.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes

cainpole said:
i thought the revolution motor was based on the motor used in H-D's AMA road race bikes they ran back in the 90's.
It was based on that engine, but it went through quite a bit of change to become the motor in the VRod. Even if it were lifted from the 90's superbikes and put directly into a streetbike, it would barely be competitive with the latest & greatest from Japan and Italy.

I think Eric's right to stay with the torquey air-cooled, relatiely low rev engines, even though most people disagree with me! I guess I should say I think he's right from a rider's perspective but not from a sales perspective. I really think Buell's problem is that there is a very strong anti-Harley contingent amongst the sportbikers, so anything even remotely related to HD is considered bad. On top of that, many sportbikers will never set foot in an HD dealership so they don't get exposed to the product. Finally, the bike doesn't win many "spec sheet races" against it's competition. It's a shame really, as these bikes offer tons of fun and are optimized for use on actual roads rather than the track.

·
Registered
435 Posts
dynarider96 said:
Buell has several test mule XB's with Revo based motors. The idea is being explored.
The Revo based motor might be heavy. It's also very under stressed. That motor can make an easy 125 - 135 hp at the rear wheel. Harley/Buell has all the raw ingredients to make a wicked fast street bike.

Tim

·
Registered
435 Posts
475wildey said:
isnt the vrod destroyer 170 rear wheel horse
Easy, I'm not sure if it's on the bottle though.

Point being that Harley has a killer motor that isn't being used anywhere near it's potential. Eventually the EPA is going to kill the aircooled motor. They did it with the 2 stroke. The Revo seems like the ideal motor to take it's place.

Tim

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
cs1 said:
Easy, I'm not sure if it's on the bottle though.

Point being that Harley has a killer motor that isn't being used anywhere near it's potential. Eventually the EPA is going to kill the aircooled motor. They did it with the 2 stroke. The Revo seems like the ideal motor to take it's place.

Tim
I think Harley is going to hold off as long as possible before putting the revo motor into wider use in it's lineup. Putting that motor into wider use will hurt them in the pocket. I sure hope I am wrong though and they do something this year.

·
Registered
435 Posts
dwarthog said:
I think Harley is going to hold off as long as possible before putting the revo motor into wider use in it's lineup. Putting that motor into wider use will hurt them in the pocket. I sure hope I am wrong though and they do something this year.
Your right unfortunatley. Most Harley owners would dump them if Harley made the move away from 45 deg V-Twin to a DOHC mill with water cooling. It is a shame. The Revo is a great engine that needs more exposure and developemental work.

Tim

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would buy a revolution powered S3T with a robust electrical system in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts