V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing a large number of Rev Tech oil filters on new bikes. Has any one .... mainly dealer techs found any problems with the filters?? I have had 5-6 of the filters for TC's be broken apart inside. The filter element had come loose and was rattling around inside of the shell??!!!

No filtering ablilty at all another was letting small chunks of the paper get out into the motor. Just wondered if this is a nation wide problem or maybe a local parts guy got a bad batch of filters??

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Everyone I know with revtech products has had problems from motors, transmisions, to handlebar controls. I wouldn't use a revtech part if I had to push my bike past one of their suppliers.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Have not seen or heard of it, but it wouldn't surprise me. RevTech parts are usually of very poor quality, unles it is something that they just resell as opposed to have it manufactured for them.

We use primarily Harley parts for liability reasons, unless specific parts have a obvious problem.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Bummer! He's got some jingle tied up in the girl. Suppose I'll just let'm find out for himself rather than risk insulting his choice in power-plants.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The old "if you have nothing good to say, say nothing"

This is presuming the deal is done and there is no out option. Everyone has their opinion, but in this case it is pretty much unanimous.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a buddy that has a 100 inch rev tech and the rev tech 6 speed. We dyno the bike the other day 83.7 HP and 100.4 TQ. BUT...... When you ride the six speed is such a piece of sh!t that fast shifting is out of the question. We tried belray sythentic and red line,..... it has about 2k for miles and it is one notchy piece of crap!!!! ANother great product by REV tech

·
Registered
312 Posts
I know of a couple guys building those custom chrome bikes that come with the Rev tech motors and trans. They sold them on Ebay and used the cash towards S&S crate motors. If i am not mistaken, Rev Tech motors are all built in Korea, at least this was one of there objections to the motor.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The crate the RevTech motors come in do indeed say "Product of Korea"
they make good firearms (Daewoo) but I wouldn't want one of their motors in my scoot, just my .02 worth

·
Registered
33 Posts
just my 2 cents kicked around, I have used Rev Tech filters and seen alot of motorcycle enthusiasts prefer them because they r a little cheaper and I have had a couple of problems with HD filters (very few but the same a couple) BUTT I still beleive that u get what u pay for . Personally I use HD filters and HD lubes and we sell both Rev Tech lubes and filters and we get HD filters and lubes and we give the customer the option and I suggest the HD filters and lube butt u still cant make some horses drink when u lead them to water . I dont like synthetic oil in an HD motor either , That will probly open a new can of worms . I have seen where the synthetic oil has ruined a couple of Evo motors so that is enough for me , it works good in metric cruisers Ive heard :D . Like I said just my 2 cents .Thanks for such a GREAT forum

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
No way did synthetic ruin a motor, if you believe that I have a bridge for sale. I bet whatever happened to them would have happened no matter whose oil you used.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well like I said I knew that would open a new can of worms BUTT, HD of Radcliff ky in 1996 had a 1200 sporty that was using syth. oil and the lower end bearings had developed flat spots and the factory would not warranty the engine , so that was the 1st case that I seen and have seen a few since then , Butt if u know something that has changed since the late I would like to know . I believe that u learn something new everyday, and HD Factory can void the warranty on use of non approved products if your rep desides to be a d- - k head, and from the conversations that I have had in the past they can and will be that ,I guess the bottom line is , is it worth the fight ,
And yes if the bridge is a good deal I will buy Cause like I stated , the oil did cause the bearing failure......

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Think about it, If the oil was so slippery that the bearings would not rotate, how could there be enough friction to wear flat spots, think about it. Do you believe everything the dealer tells you ? Thats why this place is so sucessfull, if you do a search on this subject you will find another dealer told someone the same thing but replaced the bearings. That dealer that won't cover the bearings is a DICK! What brand of synthetic? I am sure the oil manufacturer would be interested in this(it was 1996 though)

·
Registered
33 Posts
No not at all The Dealer is actually 1 of the best dealers that is out there u can do some research and find that the owners and managers of HD of Radcliff Ky has always taken real good care of tkeir customers . But the bottom line is the owner of the scooter used Kendall if my memory serves me right and YES the bearings did have flat spots . Now then like I said earlier it was 1996 and technology has improved BUT as of to date I have not seen any studies that has showed that the synth. oil is all that for taking a gamble for the customer to have to pay for a rebuild on the lower end , and HD of Tampa Fl for exampl said that if they do the service and a problem occurs they would see if they can cover it and again they stated that they could possibly cover under warranty if a problem occurs WHAT IF U MOVED from the area and they wont comment then. As working in an independant shop it still gets back to the same harley can refuse to cover on extended warranty situations and IS IT Worth the gamble to use other than recommended lubes. Call me old fashion but if I can not stake my reputation on a product I wouldnt think of using in a customers scooter. but if they insist then its on them , and thats the great thing, we do have a right to CHOICE
This is a great forum , Keep up the great work

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I am still waiting for an explanation on how the bearings became flat. If the synthetic was so slippery that the bearings would not roll how could there be enough friction to wear flat spots? Maybee it was not oil related at all and the dealer doesn't want to say so. And if your looking for proof on the lubrication abilities of synthetic, have you visited the amsoil or mobil one or redline websites? You are entitled to your opinion, and this is a great site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can only assume that it is the same theory as a white sharping stone on a knife blade , and yes I have been to the amsoil web site cause a customer asked me research and their reply is short and sweet it wont happen . but it did and no one has explained to me but I asked show me it wont happen and I can be convenced and until it is I will stay with what I seen on a couple occurences . but as i stated if a customer say they want it its on them and yes everyone is intitled to their opion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So what u own stock in synthetic oil company . bearing even in a oil graese or in the synthetic lube will still get friction and to answer your ? the explaination that I had received from oil companies and from the factory is that the synthetic oil is so slick that it will not cause enough drag that the end result is that there is a flat spot that will occur and if they start there is no way of them to continue to do their job. So like i said that is what came from the oil companies in 1996 and from the factory and I hope that settles your argument, cause I can convienced to change my opinion but I ask for proff, not an opinion . Like I said everyone has their opinion

1 - 20 of 75 Posts