V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble dialing in my DFO. I'm running a stock air cleaner with Sampson Bone Crusher pipes. I also have the following problem. When I get about a half a tank of gas my bike really runs like ****. Like its starving for gas. Any answers. My bike is a 02 Softail Standard. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers Gary

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Still should be able to dial it in, even with the stock ac. Although, I agree that the stage 1 kit or AN Big Sucker or Doherty system is an improvement.

Also, if the fuel pump is truly bad, it shouldn't matter how much fuel is in the tank, it's a pressurized closed loop fuel system. It either has gas or it doesn't. Just a guess, unless there is something weird going on in there on how it was put together causing air bubbles to get in the system or something like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something I was told.

I was told the Motor Co had a recall on tanks. Something to do with a rubber hose in the tank splitting. It was a tech that mentioned this when I called Rev Tech for assisance in dialing in the bike. I bought this bike at Ebay. I drove it from Flordia back home to Michigan. The bike ran alright aside from the way it acted like it was starving for gas at about a half tank. I figured it was the DFO so I changed the setting and everything Ive done, even with a tech on the phone to guide me isint working. I'm more of a performance person as I like to take longer rides. I know these Sampson pipes are not the best choice for performance with the lack of back pressure. I also added some torque cones and that really dint do anything either. I'm in Belding and plan on taking the bike to Big Boar. Thats the local Harley dealing in my area. If anyone know's of a real good tuner and mechanic in my general area please send me a line. I'm really not all that excided about having to take the bike to Wild Boar. Thanks again. Cheers Gary

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sounds like the ol' pinholes in the in-tank fuel line. Real common on 02-03 bikes. With the tank less than half full remove the gas cap and very carefully look inside the tank with a flashlight as you turn the ignition switch on, look towards the leftside rear. you are looking for any swirling or misting of fuel. Also listen for the telltale whine of the fuel pump. Now turn the ignition off and wait for 45 seconds-1 minute and turn the ignition back on. You should not hear the fuel pump winding up again as a good system will hold pressure for quite awhile. do this a few times. If there are pinholes you will see some sign.
AP

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
@gree: I had that pin hole in the fuel line problem. You can hear a hissing noise if you have a hole in it. Open the gas cap and turn on your ignition switch and run switch and give a listen.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Put a set of lolly pops in those pipes, it should help you.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
tuner in mich

You might try Shawn L at american harley in Ann Arbor,he is good with fuel injection and dyno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts