V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,763 Posts
More than I'd be willing to pay.

Rev Tech has a less than stellar reputation.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Although not the preferred choice if it's their last generation motor it might not be a bad deal. If your looking to ever sell it forget it. It won't sell. But they can be a crap shoot. My son bought an fxr with one on it and I will say it's runs strong and hasn't given him any issues, it's a 110 also. His bike is pretty fast. Got around 12k on it. But that said I doubt it will go the long haul. I would go S&S if you can. Personally I would steer clear

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
That I know also the first gen were crank failures second was mixed bag. I'm sure that other will have dates info that I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
19,552 Posts
What is older? I have heard the term 1st and 2nd generation. I am not sure where one starts and the other ends. This motor is a 2005?
You don't want gen 1 or gen 2

The style of nose cone and rocker box is how you tell Gen 3 from the rest.

Or to quote member from another forum

If it blows up prior to 1000 miles=gen1
If it blows up with about 1500 miles=gen2
If it blows up with less then 2500 miles=gen3
And there ya have it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
$2k would be too much of a gamble for me. I’d go maybe half that. If it last you got a good deal. It’s a motor that has been sitting for 15 years from pretty much the bottom of the list aftermarket motor manufacturer. I would have to know I’m getting the better part of the deal to even consider it and even then make sure it’s an amount I could accept losing in the gamble.

Plus I’m pretty sure it’s rev tech that has proprietary parts so if something breaks you can only replace with theirs. Not Harley, S&S, ultima etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would stay away from RT & S&S. I’ve been through 3 of their 124’s A friend has gone through 2 S&S 113’s he is on the third. Though it hasn’t fail yet. It sounds like it won’t be long.
I’ve never run an RT motor. I’ve heard the horror story’s about them. Those same stories were the reason I purchased an S&S motor. The first 124 didn’t get out of the parking lot that I was in. The 2nd lasted much longer than the first. I mean I almost got 5,00 miles on the second motor. Of course it took S&S 6 months to send me another motor. They wanted me to find someone in my area to rebuild it. I said No. I paid for a new motor not a rebuilt motor!!!!!! The S&as has terrible customer service...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts