V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here to forum and after looking for solutions. I ended up here. Lol. I have a leak issue from behind primary. Can't see where . Had shop check it out. First was drain plug to tight so they tapped it and supposedly fixed it. Took home still leaking like a faucet. Bought it back now it's gaskets. So they fixed it. Took home still leaking. Bought it back then they tell me back of primary has a small crack. Guess what took home still leaking same way. Shop wants to charge me again for stuff that was supposed issue. Any one run into a problem like this before since I am never dealing wit that shop again . Thanks for any help guys. Also now my headlight works when it wants to after I bought back from shop. Any ideas. Lol thanks

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
All harleys arent the same. What are you riding? Is it tranny uid or primary. It does not sound like engine oil, rather primary. Is the inner or outer the primary the one woth the small crack? Stay away from that shop, after it is repaired you may want to go to small claims court

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
First,,, if you can find out if it is motor oil or primary oil. If you are like a lot of the people here you run 20/50 in both. Two weeks ago I went out to the garage and had a pool of oil under the primary case. I don't run motor oil in my primary. I knew what it was.

If your bike is like mine you have 3 seals on the inner primary. A large o-ring around the stator & rotor up front. You have the main shaft seal (my leak) behind the clutch basket. Then the seal for the jackshaft. There is always the chance it is leaking from one of the inner primary mounting bolts. Know what oil it is!! Do you feel good with doing your own work?? If no,,, like Terry said. Find a GOOD shop. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
when I had a rev wreck . part # 26 was loose. it allowed motor oil to leak into the primary. once the primary gets full it leaks out the stator plug ,and anywhere else that isn't sealed tight .
are you losing any motor oil ?
I eventually had to spit the case to fix it .

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
when I had a rev wreck . part # 26 was loose. it allowed motor oil to leak into the primary. once the primary gets full it leaks out the stator plug ,and anywhere else that isn't sealed tight .
are you losing any motor oil ?
I eventually had to spit the case to fix it .

I forgot about the stator plug. Split the case!!!! ;-(

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
OH,,,, forgot to say Welcome to the Forum. Good Luck!!!

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I forgot about the stator plug. Split the case!!!! ;-(
I would narrow it down first .
It very well could be a cracked inner or outer primary .
Could be one of the gaskets that didnt get replaced , or could be one that did get replaced .
Easy enough to tell if it is the insert ( part # 26)
Pull the primary inspection cover and see if oil pours out.
If you have put a qt or two of engine oil in recently , and wondered why . ( good sign its going in the primary )
I beat my brains out finding the problem on mine .
Replaced the output shaft seal twice . And Countless gaskets .

Maybe the mech is doing the same thing ? If it wasn't my bike and I had it around all the time to work on . It would have been a bitch to find .
I would hold off in any small claims action . Let the man find the problem and fix it .
When your working with old stuff that several guys have wrenched on before , things don't always go smooth .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said he put primary oil not regular motor oil . For one of the questions it's a 04 Apc Wild Card 240. It's a production line "custom bike". I'm not confident in doin my own bike work. When it was dripping on my driveway. The fluid looked bluish. And felt oily.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When it comes to reliability , they are pretty close :redrolf:
I doubt there are any "over 100k miles" Revtec engines out there. On the other hand... there are lots of V-Rod engines with 6 digits on the odometer.
I've been riding H-D's for 29 years now.
Reliability is the reason I always pick my Roadglide converted V-Rod out of the heard for long distance travel. Don't get me wrong... I love my dinosaurs and they are reliable too. But when I gotta be on the other side of the country and can't play around getting there... I go with the V-Rod for it's Swiss watch like reliability. (and it's speed capabilities are a plus)

But that's for another thread. One that actually belongs in this section.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I doubt there are any "over 100k miles" Revtec engines out there. On the other hand... there are lots of V-Rod engines with 6 digits on the odometer.
I've been riding H-D's for 29 years now.
Reliability is the reason I always pick my Roadglide converted V-Rod out of the heard for long distance travel. Don't get me wrong... I love my dinosaurs and they are reliable too. But when I gotta be on the other side of the country and can't play around getting there... I go with the V-Rod for it's Swiss watch like reliability. (and it's speed capabilities are a plus)

But that's for another thread. One that actually belongs in this section.
I put over 100.00. On my rev wreck . But the longest without a problem was 42,000 .
Don't get hung up on him posting in the wrong place .
He's getting his answers , that's what matters .

·
Registered
207 Posts
and since we are choosing to stay on topic here... on this forum?.. How dare we? :hystria:

I have a bud that used to run Revtec engines in his FXR until he got tired of pulling them out and sending them back under warranty. When we would take them apart, the quality and origin of the parts were a bit disappointing to say the least.
I am not going to say they are not reliable engines but...
If your gonna own one then you will need to learn how to work on it or find a trusted mechanic that is willing to take it on and improve it as needed.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
and since we are choosing to stay on topic here... on this forum?.. How dare we? :hystria:

I have a bud that used to run Revtec engines in his FXR until he got tired of pulling them out and sending them back under warranty. When we would take them apart, the quality and origin of the parts were a bit disappointing to say the least.
I am not going to say they are not reliable engines but...
If your gonna own one then you will need to learn how to work on it or find a trusted mechanic that is willing to take it on and improve it as needed.
Amen pass the biscuits... Those Korean children that assemble them , can't read a Tq wrench for ****

1 - 15 of 15 Posts