V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you retrieve the map from the powercommander? As I am somewhat of a computer person, I'd like to have it backed up in case anything should go wrong. (Not to mention filling the numerous requests I'm getting from forum members for my map.)

Do I have to take it off the bike, or just plug in a cable connected to a computer with the Powercommander software installed?

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I can't remeber the exact steps but you don't have to remove it from the bike. Just plug it in with cable to PC. It's pretty simple or I would have never figured it out.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
After the Power Commander software is installed on your computer and connected to the PCIIIusb, the current map will automatically be displayed on your computer. By default, when you exit the program, the software will "ask" if you want to save the map. When you say yes, the map will be saved on you computer. You can change it so that the map is saved "automatically" upon exit by going to -- Tools -- Enviornment Options. There are tutorials available on the Power Commander web site that explain all of this.

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link Road_King. I must have missed that part of their website.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks for a great question and great answer. After a lot of tweaking, I have a map I like very much on my PCIII. I had it saved on two computers, and both crashed. Now I can retreive it.

Ragnar

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
HogJr,
Is there anyway that I could get a copy of your Map once you save it? I plan on installing the 37G cams and would like to take a look at your Maps fuel plot.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
PCUIII USB map

Hogjr;

Please post that map in the map thread. It looks like a map that may be usefull to many of us. :cheers:

thanks

Mike
05 Ultra Black Cherry/Black Pearl
Soon to be
98" revolution cylinders
CP Forged pistons
9.8 compression
GMR street ported heads
Andrews 37G
S&S gear drive
LMR-002 Oil Spring
Comp lifters
PCIII USB
Diamond Cut

Most of the assembly is done. Need to finish the front cylinder pushrods, rocker and the covers. Then bolt all the other stuff back on and new fluids.
:woohoo:

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I hook the PC up to the computer, it reads the serial number, but not the map. If I hit "get Map" it comes up with "error retrieving map" any suggestions?

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
HogJR,
Not sure of your steps, try this....

*Connect computer to the PC/Computer on
*If you are using the battery, connect to the PC
*Open the PC Software, it will automatically download MAP

Not trying to insult you, just trying to help......

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's pretty much what I've done, except I'm not using the battery, just turning on the ignition to power it up. It does pull the serial number, just not the map.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My PCIII USB did not display the map until I had the bike running. Did you try that?

Ragnar, save that map on a CD or flash drive as a backup. Do not ask me how I know. :whistle:

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
hogg831 said:
HogJR,
Not sure of your steps, try this....

*Connect computer to the PC/Computer on
*If you are using the battery, connect to the PC
*Open the PC Software, it will automatically download MAP

Not trying to insult you, just trying to help......
I was there for this non-event today. Jr was using my laptop to try and get his map. The PC instructions say specifically that this model of motorcycle does not need to be running to get the map. Sooooooo, we did not try that. Dumbasses that we are.

It would read the PCIIIusb s/n but for some stupid reason it only knows, it would not display the map it had in its memory, even when we commanded it to go get the map. So we know we were communicating with the PCIIIusb.

Tomorrow, Jr. permitting, we will fire the motor and see if that allows us to get the map. That shouldn't be needed if you are ON and in the RUN mode, imho but god knows what the designers had in mind. ;)

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Well, Toddlerp, you da' man! but WTF! makes no sense to us why.

Got the map, Jr will be posting it at his leisure.

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MAP is Posted

OK, why the heck would you even think to start the bike when the instructions clearly list specific bikes, none of them being HD? Anyway,
The map can be found in the EFI Map Forum
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759499#post759499
Good Luck, and use at your own risk. Keep me posted on how it works out.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....glad you got. I use the 9v battery.....no need to start the engine.

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hogg831 said:
....glad you got. I use the 9v battery.....no need to start the engine.
For the future, when you use the battery, is the PC still on the bike and do you have to at least turn the ignition on?

hogg831, I see your in Beach Park, not too far. I make it up to Gurnee on occasion, as I have relatives there. I'll drop you a line next time I'm going to be in your neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I must have missed something. Did you have to run the bike to retreive the map? I know the instructions say no but it seems like I had to. It's been a long time can't remeber how I did it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes, the 9V is the power source when used, and when used the bike does not need to be running.

Im my case, and possibly others, I could not plug in the 9V due to accessability to the PC. I could barely plug in the USB cable using needle nose pliers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts