V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I should laugh at the idiot or cry for the bike...:rolleyes:

By Associated Press, 10/01/02

SAGINAW, Mich. — Baby boomer Jim Zimmerman's brief fling as a tough biker ended in pain very quickly.

The retiree's misadventure began when, facing 60, he gave into a youthful yen and got a local dealership to deliver a brand-new Harley-Davidson to his door.

"It was a mid-age crisis thing," Zimmerman admitted last week. "I'd see these dudes with women and thought a motorcycle would put me in like Flynn.

"I didn't look at the obvious, that I hadn't been on a bike in 30 years and probably didn't remember much about it."

Ten seconds after he climbed aboard for the first time, he struck a neighbor's utility trailer at 40 mph and broke several ribs. The odometer logged a tenth of a mile.

"It was so fast, and I didn't think fast enough," he said. "I probably panicked and throttled the gas in a death grip.

"Oh my god, I hurt in places I didn't know could hurt. The cops said it's a miracle I'm alive."

After $2,000 in insured repairs on the bike -- and more on the neighbor's trailer -- Zimmerman sold his Harley for an $800 loss. But the experience isn't quite over. Until his complimentary membership in the Harley Owners Group runs out, "I get a mailing every two to three weeks, reminding me of how stupid I was," he said.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
I'd rather think "atypical"

atypical

adj 1: deviating from or not conforming to type; [syn: untypical] [ant: typical] 2: deviating from what is usual or common or to be expected; often somewhat odd or strange; "highly irregular behavior" [syn: irregular] 3: not conforming to type;

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You got to feel sorry for these people. They get sucked into what can easily become a life threatening situation by advertising that makes believe 20K makes you a rider.
Lots of these people have grown up and lived in protected environments and have no idea of life on the street. Even a MSF course can only teach technical skills, the mindset comes from within.
Even those that used to ride 30 years ago lived in a kinder and gentler world, these days it's like flying over enemy airspace with an empty rack.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yup Gotta watch out for those damn parked utility trailers. The basterds love to jump out in front of you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I saw one last night at the dealer in the service bays, '03 two-tone Ultra wrecked. Has only 283 mile on it, they said the rider lost it in a turn and want off-road. He got pretty banged up from what they said.

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
Well now....
Keeping all that in mind, how much is not enough? I'm 51, in pretty good shape, haven't ridden in 20 years, and never owned a Harley.
The new G/F would love to have one.

Everyone says no 883's, but is more too much for an old Boomer?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
duhast said:

Everyone says no 883's, but is more too much for an old Boomer?
Maybe for your girl friend.... blaahahahahafuckenchick'sbikehahahaha

But for an old Boomer, I'd recommend a MSF safety course to re-familiarize you with the important bits, and then go visit every dealership within 250 miles and see if the got a roadking for sale.

Just my $0.02

regards,
wyodude

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Boomers riding

This kinda hits a nerve with me, but I'll to keep it down. . . :rolleyes:
It's all about common sense, not being STUPID, and being responsible enough. . . to ride.
We make the choice to get on the bike and twist the grip. . .
Guess the old guy was smart enough to know he didn't put the proper stuff in order before getting on it and twisting the grip - too bad it was after the fact. And too bad that since he did it without thinking it through he'll miss a neat aspect of life - riding.
For those who can't figure it out for themselves. . .
Start smaller, take the MSF class (it's a great place to see if you even WANT to ride) see how it goes - move up from there.
The road's not a good place to find out you don't have a clue how to ride or that's the bike's just too big to control.
Ok, I'm off the box - and will try to stay off it from now on.
Good rides (to those who have a clue)
And, no, I'm not dissing those who are learning, or want to ride but just haven't tried it yet. Motorcycling's a great thing. Just do it sensibly.
Don :) (a 55 year old boomer)

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
" your honor, We are filing a million dollar lawsuit today against the dealer who sold my client this motorcycle." "It's clear he didn't know how to ride."

I can hear it now.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well it seems that the "golden Parachute" these boomers put in place for themselves doesnt work well once their 20K a month retirement is spent on a v-twin brawler.
I will say this however. It is fortunate that such an irresponsible act ended up into the side of a parked trailer and not through the windsield of a family truckster and into the skull of a 5 year old child returning from grocery shopping with mommy.
Not just to the inexperienced, but to those of us with plenty,,, if you want to kill yourself,,, do so AWAY from everyone else.
Now I am NOT saying that I dont BREATH my scooter out on the highway on more than just occasion, but I certainly do so WITHOUT other vehicles around. My wife wont have to explain the damage of collision to the guy who poured the concrete divider or the gal who formed the guardrail why her hubby wrecklessly took a chunk out of them.
ANYONE who rides without concern for themselves, or at LEAST others is a fool and too often a murderer.
Just a ranting from a formerly active EMT.
Party On, GB, and keep yer knees in the breeze.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Your honor. . .

DJW,
That's exactly why the subject here struck a nerve with me.
I originally posted "Because we live in an age of LEGISLATED IRRESPONSIBILITY," some become accustomed to not ever having to accept responsibility for their actions. But then, I dropped that part, figuring I was carrying it a bit too far.
Like you, I would fully expect the jury/judge to award that suit to the individual sueing the manufacturer. It's already happening!
Really sad state of affairs.
It would be great if all us "baby boomers" could put our collective "responsibility" together in a way which could turn this type of legislation off - even reverse it.
Enough said. . .
RainRider

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hopefully, if we can remind those around us that Motorcycles are not "scooters" and can cause death to riders or individuals in other vehicles, (cages) maybe some of these "Golden Retires" will learn to take a MSF course, and start on a smaller, eaiser bike than a 20K 700 pound Hog....:rolleyes:

G

·
Agreed John, a Harley (even an 883...) is just not a starter bike. A Buell Blast is only marginally so. I tell newbies to get something used in the 250 to 450 cc range, and ride the crap out of it. It gives you a chance to figure out whether riding is in your blood, and to make your mistakes without putting $20k on the line. (yer a$$ is always n the line...)

Of course, who listens to me? ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
The company I work for is being sued by the widow of a rider who was killed by a cager that turned in front of him ("I never saw him"). The attorney got the max. $30k from the cagers insurance, then sued the City for an unsafe intersection. The City is exempt because they had "attempted to improve the intersection" so the attorney turn on us. We designed the intersection to City requirements but are on the line for a $10 million suit. Is there any stats that tell what percent of cagers "never saw him" caused accidents?
Dan

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's the standard excuse in 98% of the cases when it comes to cages turning into the path of motorcycles.

Your companies attorneys might find a conversation with a good accident reconstructionist that works for an attorney specializing in motorcycle accidents of some interest.

Fact is these people in the overwhelming majority of cases see the motorcycle. They just don't perceive it as a risk to themselves, so they pull out. This is a indisputable fact that has been proven over and over. Your attorneys just have to prove it in court. It is a lot closer to negligent manslaughter or premeditadet homicide then to a traffic accident.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks HIPPO, that is good advice. A motorcycle attoney working for us against a shotgun attorney, just blast and see where the buckshot hits.
Thanks.
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My personal opinion is that everyone should start off, or Brush up after a long term not riding, in an open field or the dirt. (NOT the woods mind you)
I have been part in 6 riders getting their first "taste" of motorcycling and supprisingly enough 2 of them NEVER mounted one again after hitting the grass at only between 5 and 10 mph.
For those that did continue, they had a very real perception of impact and the consequence of errors prior to blacktop, cagers, walls, telephone poles, etc. and understood a little better the ramifications.
I will personally admit to crashing my trail bikes many many times, laying down my firts roader 3 times with foolish errors, and a full blown crash over a guardrail once due to FREAK circumstances. All these experiences matured me as a rider and PLANTED some humility in my skull. I am sure that if I had made at least 2 of those mistakes with a Big Twin bike,,,, well this post would not be happening,, that is for sure.
As for the "I didnt even see him comming" issue, there have been several instances in my past when a cager pulled out in front of me, and I agree that at least 4 DEFENITELY SAW ME, and I now ride with the assumption that there is a LARGE bounty on my head and ALL other vehicles (including fellow bikers) will kill me if allowed to get within striking distance. I ride knowing that for some, (myself included) the unfortunate day may come when the odds are stacked WAY too high against them and a cager puts the tubes in their teeth. The best defense is AWARENESS and intellegent driving. I drive my rig like its a glass Limo.
If a glass Limo couldnt or wouldnt do it, neither do I.
May the best of fortune be with each and evey one of you.
Party On, God Bless, and may you never get a sneezing fit at 65 cresting a hill to find traffic dead stopped. I NEVER wore full face helmets again without quick open or pull off visors (The Guard Rail Incident) Now who could have anticipated that one comming??????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts