V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some quick searching, but came up with nothing. Okay, I could have searched more, but could anyone help?

My bags that have got hard, mostly my fault due to lack of proper care. I tried some leather conditioner (thick application) and it did not soften them up.

What can I use to soften them to allow me to work the leather back into shape without cracking?

Thanks

·
Dog on a Hog
195 Posts
Saddle Soap

Try some Saddle Soap. You need to get the moisture back into the leather. After you get some life into it with the soap, you can use some mink oil. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Saddle soap will clean them, and the HD (and other) leather conditioners are mostly paraffin with some lanolin, for maintaining leather that's in good shape). For stuff that's pretty far gone you can get neatsfoot oil at Tandy and really slosh it on; it's pretty much straight lanolin, it'll soften about anything, cheaper than mink oil (also good stuff). Good for your skin, too; my wife rubs it on her feet. Not many products you can use on your scoot and your bod.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Saddle Soap is good. My dad uses Lynseed oil on his leather stuff. Some of them are 50+ years old and still look/works great.

·
Registered
338 Posts
try mink oil. work it in with your fingers so it kind of melts into the leather then put them in a warm place for a few days .then try doc baileys leather black to restore the colour and preserve them

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, THANKS to everyone. I will try your suggestions. I been running my Heritage without the bags, looks okay, shows more machine but I really need some storage. New bags are some $$$

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Try this. The kit is the best to order.

http://www.leatherique.com/

It sounds cheesy like a commercial but I helped a friend restore some 84' Porche seats that had sat in a garage for years. Made them look much much better.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out what I used before, it was Neatsfoot oil. I really put it on, it did a little to help, but did not make them soft enough to re-set the shape.

I am going to try the Mink Oil, (cheap if it works compared to new bags) lay it on maybe twice and then stuff some towels into the bags and let them set for a couple weeks.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thought I would give an update;

I found some Mink Oil (was a little hard to find) the pure stuff, do not get any other. I went to the wrong place's first, Tack and leather stores. Try your local "Feed Store"

I put on 2 applications, the leather is now soft, with my bags, the neglect still shows. I would advise anyone wanting to keep get their leathers reconditioned or protected try this stuff. After the Mink the leather softened a lot. If I had done this before, the bags would be in good shape. I think the Saggy Bag fix would work better on leather treated with this.

:hmmm: BE AWARE **** the Mink oil will darken your leather, Black bags a good thing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Restoring

Neatsfoot oil, its avail at any shoe store, and it really works! Not terribly expensive and goes a long way. Will slightly darken light colors.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
There's one other you guys are missing out on. It's called utter cream and it's carried at feed stores. Like Neatsfoot oil, utter cream has a couple uses. Good for leather and good for the skin. Not bad on the OLs utters either.

·
Registered
255 Posts
udderly funny

BryanL said:
There's one other you guys are missing out on. It's called utter cream and it's carried at feed stores. Like Neatsfoot oil, utter cream has a couple uses. Good for leather and good for the skin. Not bad on the OLs utters either.
:roflback:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts