V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have V&H longshots on an 02 fatboy.

I made the mistake of polishing the muffler sections with a white cream metal polish which actually damaged the surface. The muflers don't have the original hi luster shine anymore. The polish actually has fine abrasive in it which works ok on aluminum but scratches chrome.

I've tried to buff the mufflers but I can't seem to get the original luster back. I am thinking of using some other compound but am not sure what to use.
Any sugestions?

Thanks,
Steve67

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
You might try Mother's Chrome Polish but if the abrasive has scratched the surface I don't know if it will work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use NEVER DULL on all my chrome. Works fine on exhaust and actually makes cleaning off the cooked on crap, bugs etc... easy. Give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I'm partial to Simichrome polish and a soft cloth. On more stubborn areas I use it along with a felt buff on a Dremel moto-tool. Works on all metals from aluminum to stainless to gold... Oh yeh, chrome too!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I use good old turtle wax chrome polish for everyday cleaning also use semichrome on aluminum and chrome , but the turtle chrome cleaner comes off eaiser. semichrome and a lot of elbow grease might take out scratchs in chrome, I suppose it depends how deep they are.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responces. I'll be giving those products a try.

Steve67

note: I only have limited axcess time to a computer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts