V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok long story short when I got the bike years ago it has 1/4” spacers under the two rear bolts for the gas tank essentially lifting the tank a bit. They looked legit so I left them

Had the bike a part earlier this week for a battery issue and was flipping through my parts catalog and noticed there are no spacers there in the diagram. So I took them out and put the tank mounting tabs on the frame directly. Even made the firmest for the seat a bit better haha

Anyway took it out to the city last night. Filled it up before we left. On the way back I had to click to the reserve on the Pingle. Pulled into the fast station and had about 78 miles on the clock. Filled it up and it took about 2.7 gallons of gas. It’s the center full tank which iirc is a 4.2 gallon tank.

So here’s the question. When should the reserve be needed or better yet about how much is in the reserve gallon or mile wise? Doing the math it was getting 28-29 mpg which I’m not really complaining about here but I’m pretty sure before when I clicked reserve and got to a gas station pretty quickly it would take 3-3.5 gallons.
We’re those rear spacers pushing more gas to the main tank leaving less in the reserve?

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Fuel gauge senders are usually inaccurate on Harley's. My ex heritage would be on the empty mark and would only take 3.5 gals. Only once did I use reserve.

tarheel

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I don't think those 1/4" spacers are going to change the reserve capacity level in the tank. They might have been put in to lessen the pinch on any wires or lines running under the tank by the frame.

You could call Pingle, and ask them what amount of gas is left in your tank with their petcock on reserve.

Side note: Under 30 mpg is horribly sad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts