V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to check the tensioners, with over 38 K on the clock I found they needed to be replace or changed to a gear drive system. I bought the bike used with 25 K on it so I really didn't know what had been done to the motor. So as I am tearing the engine down to remove the cam assembly, I found it had adjustable push rods. So right away I assume the cams had been removed before, and being a 1999 TC, that wasn’t a surprise because of the problems they had with the 99 motors.
Also, after I had removed the cam and support plate assembly, I noticed on the side of the inner lobe a “SE-211” marking.
So my questions for one of the knowledgeable wrenches here are, 1. Do these markings indicate that these cams are really SE-211 cams? 2. would they have installed the 211 cams with a stock 88” cylinders, if not how can I tell if this engine has a Big Bore kit installed without removing the heads? I would appreciate any help that can shed some light on this. :huh:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You do have Se 211 cams hard to get a a good idea of if it is a 95 or not. A 88 with the 211 cam should have 153 cranking a 95 would have 165. But very hard to tell from that due to a Donkey cart full of variables. Have you had it dynoed?? That would be a sure tell tale sign but you MIGHT just might be able to look into the cylinder through the spark plug hole with a good light and read the 1550 stamped on the piston, I would not hold my breath but stranger things have happened. Other than that you would need to pop the head. Or run a VIn check some dealers( if it was done there) keep records and may be able to help you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
HDWRENCH said:
You do have Se 211 cams hard to get a a good idea of if it is a 95 or not. A 88 with the 211 cam should have 153 cranking a 95 would have 165. But very hard to tell from that due to a Donkey cart full of variables. Have you had it dynoed?? That would be a sure tell tale sign but you MIGHT just might be able to look into the cylinder through the spark plug hole with a good light and read the 1550 stamped on the piston, I would not hold my breath but stranger things have happened. Other than that you would need to pop the head. Or run a VIn check some dealers( if it was done there) keep records and may be able to help you.
HDWRENCH - No, unfortunately I haven’t had it dynod yet because I was going to wait until I completed the performance mods. The reference that an 88 would have 153 and the 95 would have 165, are you referring to compression PSI?
Another thing I found after I investigated was it also has roller lifters. I can’t see anything through the spark hole but I do have access to a bore scope, so I think I will try that Monday when I bring it home from work. I can’t imagine someone putting that cam in with roller lifters without also going 95 inch. But who knows, like you said stranger things have happened. Thanks.
:unsure:

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Hey Longride -

Sounds like your arms were getting pulled out of their sockets and ya didn't even know it!!:D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
FXDRYDR said:
Hey Longride -

Sounds like your arms were getting pulled out of their sockets and ya didn't even know it!!:D
FXDRYDR - Yea, I always wondered why it always felt like a kick in the butt at the higher RPMs. It will be interesting to see what's inside the cylinder with the scope.

MegaGlide - You are right, the 99 also has rollers as stock, I should have said the rollers were SE's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts