V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone know if I will have to remap if i switch to the santee 50cal. shortys or v&h bighots, I am currently running the screaming eagle II slipons.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
On what? With what flash stage?

Generally speaking EFI bikes really hate drag style pipes. Some new versions of the V&H have a hidden crossover and may be less of a problem.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hippo, what type of pipe do you reccomend for the best performance, I would really like one of the large 2 1/2" shorty pipes and would also like something lower on the bike so I can install rear floorboards.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
forgot to mention that it is a 03 FLSTFI, not sure what flashstage, the pipes were already on the bike when I purchased it. It goes back to the dealer next week for 1000 mile service and am planning on stage 1 filter kit but didnt know whether to install new pipes before this.I guess I am really looking for a little better sound than the SEIIs,have heard a couple with the baffles out and didnt like the sound.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The best performance pipes are 2 into 1's, White Bro's E pipe and Supertrapp. On a softail you might get away with a V&H pro pipe HS (this is a very good looking pipe and it likely will satisfy your low mount criteria)

The Thunderheader is a great pipe but I wouldn't use it on a EFI bike.

If you are going to add the SE intake kit the bike will need a stage1 flash either way. They can plug the bike in and within a minute tell what flash is in the bike. If it has the stage 1 flash you are set if it doesn't it needs one even if you were just to add the SE intake kit and keep the pipes you have.

Both the E pipe and Supertrapp are tunable, if you run 4 or 5 discs they are the equivalent of a stock pipe and require no fuel mapping, if you run 15 or more discs they are pure performance and definitely may need some remapping. Most people end up with something in between.

As a sidenote when you get the SE intake make sure they give you the latest version, ie the one with the two hoses that terminate above the carb throat. They love to use up the obsolete versions on people that don't know any better.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
mollie8686 said:
Hippo, what type of pipe do you reccomend for the best performance, I would really like one of the large 2 1/2" shorty pipes and would also like something lower on the bike so I can install rear floorboards.
Hey, check out the new Vance and Hines Staggered Big Shots and Big Shots long! Have them installed on my '03 so I can throw some passenger floorboards for the wife.

They sound great, and have a cross-over, and (as per V&H) are designed with the EFI bikes in mind!!! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts