V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NW Illinois Harley Guy
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to swap out my stock trans side cover on my 02 Softail Standard with a chrome one.........anyone have any insight into problems that I may encounter..........I have a new gasket....I have a concern about how the cable hooks up inside.........how much fluid can I expect to loose........Any help will be appreciated..........Thanks in advance :thanks:

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Put a 2 x 4 under the tire. this will tip the bike further to the left, and you won't lose much fluid. Be careful with the gasket, and if it's not torn, reuse it. Nothing will need re adjusting, the cable doesn't have to be loosened either, just the 6 bolts.

G

·
It sounds like you're talking about the clutch release cover. If that's the case, it is a reasonably simple job. On the touring models the biggest part of the job is getting the exhaust out of your way. Inside the cover, you will encounter the ball and ramp assembly, that is held in place with a large snap ring. I've always just used a screwdriver to pop the snap ring out, but it would be nice to have a set of snap ring pliers. You will immediately see how the cable disconnects from the assembly. If one didn't come with your new cover, make sure you get the "O" ring for where the cable enters the cover (P/N 11179). You will simply install these parts into your new cover. Make sure to only torque the cover to spec, and make sure the holes where the bolts go are clear of debris or oil. If you're doing this, you should definitely consider doing the reduced effort clutch kit at the same time. I've heard that if you do this job with the bike on the kick stand you lose almost no oil. I've always just drained the trans, and done it with the bike on the lift. You can drain into a clean container and re-use the oil, or just replace it (It's only a total of 20 ounces on the touring bikes. May be slightly different amount on the Softtails, but definitely less than a quart).

Harris

·
NW Illinois Harley Guy
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks....but

I am removing and replacing the whole housing...somehow or other I have to remove and reinstall the cable?....I already have the chrome side cover frame on it...........????

G

·
Once you pop the snap ring out, and have the ball and ramp assembly free, you turn it to a certain point and the cable end will come free. It will be very apparent when you see it. Then the cable sheath can be unthreaded from the cover, and the cable removed, for installation in your new part.

Harris

·
NW Illinois Harley Guy
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Harris.............

If you get a pic to me...........I'll tear into it tomorrow and let you know how it goes..............

·
NW Illinois Harley Guy
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Harris

Thanks for your help with the description and pic......everything right on the button..........the whole procedure including clutch pack took about 2 hours from start to finish..........hardly any lost oil..........very simple........

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Isn't a clutch adjustment mandatory (through the inspection door on the primary drive cover) when you have to remove the clutch cover ?

·
NW Illinois Harley Guy
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again........

I'll check the clutch adjustment for kicks and giggles...........although...........I feel no difference from before

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.