·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to needing rear tire, original Dunlop on 03 FatBoy
Has about 8500 miles on it
Front looks ok/good actually
I am thinking of putting a Metzler on the rear
Will I be ok not having matching tires front and rear or am I better off replacing both at same time?
Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
These tires have different treads and will react differently on different surfaces and conditions ie. wet road, rain grooves, steel bridges. I wouldn't do it for the amount of miles you would need until the front wears out. I did do this once with a dunlop front and metzeler rear only when my front went flat @ 9pm during the 4th of July Hollister rally. Only shop open was independent and I was lucky enough to get him to squeeze me in with the dozen other bikes they were repairing. Unfortunately he only carried Dunlops. Had to ride with a mismatch for about 100 miles, but I took it nice and slow and replaced the rear with a Dunlop the next business day @ my regular shop.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Mixing tire brands is a definite NO NO.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
DO NOT MIX TIRES!! There. That should about cover it!

BTW, do not mix different styles of the same brand either.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Normally a front will last twice as long as a rear, so go Dunlop this time and when the front needs it, do both.
At least that's what I'm doing, for the reasons stated above.
And it'll be ME880s when I do.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Horsefeathers!

I've run different tires front and rear for a long time. There is no danger, you will not wreck. Save your money and run the front until it needs to be replaced. Yes you will notice a big difference in the handling when you change the front to a Metz and you will notice a big change by just replacing the rear too. If you have the money to burn go ahead and replace both of them, if not just change the back and ride.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
I've run different tires front and rear for a long time. There is no danger
Because you have done it and gotten away with it (no danger) doesn't mean it's right.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Why is it wrong Rich? I know lots of folks who run different brands front and rear because we're cheap! None that I know of have laid it down because of it. If you can find credible evidence it's dangerous I'lll change my tune but I haven't seen anything, and I've looked. The only ones who seem to think you need to are trying to sell me another tire.

The only info I've seen on running different tires is radial/bias ply, that is a big no-no. If I was wearing off the egdes of my floorboards like TheAlien I would most likely run the same front and rear but I don't ride as hard as he does.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Why is it wrong Rich? I don't ride as hard
Dont' want to say it's wrong, but it's just not right. The bike came with matching tires, I'd like to keep it that way if I can. You can get away with anything long as thing go right for you. You said you don't ride hard so that could be your out for not having the same type tread pattern front and rear or the same rubber compound. I'm not really a hard rider either but when things start to go south, I want all the ducks lined up in my favor.

I remember once I was at Cosco picking up 4 tires for my car and when they rolled them out one was an entirely different color than the other three, I told them they could keep them. They ordered them and thats how they came from the warehouse. I try to get the same batch number for all four or at least within a few weeks of each other for manufacture date.

I agree that the tire people are the one's saying you need the same front and rear, and that smells of sales hype. It is hard to find an expert on tires that would have a good right up to confirm or deny, however most of the experts also sell tires. Like oil, all the information is ususally by the oil companys or sales.

I guess I just don't like the I do it and get away with it so it's ok. Thats not a very good indorcement, although if you are OK with it I can see why you would think it, but not sure why you would want to convince others it was ok, when in the back of your mind you know the sales person is more than likely more correct than you and your lack of funds.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Ive run many miles with different brand tires. No problem. Wouldnt think twice about it. I dont think the back tire knows what brand is on the front and visa versa.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
cwo2lt said:
Why is it wrong Rich? I know lots of folks who run different brands front and rear because we're cheap! None that I know of have laid it down because of it. If you can find credible evidence it's dangerous I'lll change my tune but I haven't seen anything, and I've looked. The only ones who seem to think you need to are trying to sell me another tire.

The only info I've seen on running different tires is radial/bias ply, that is a big no-no. If I was wearing off the egdes of my floorboards like TheAlien I would most likely run the same front and rear but I don't ride as hard as he does.
I agree with cwo2lt. Over the years I have mixed brands on many bikes. Never had a problem. As long as they are the same type of tire as in not mixing bias ply with radial. Now if you ask a stealer or tire dealer he will give you all kinds of BS as why you shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Jaws,
I'd toss the front one too. 2003 Fatboy. Thats a half worn 3 year old tyre and dunlops are a hard compound when new. It's always nice to ride on 2 new tyres whatever brand you choose.
m

·
Registered
26 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Normally a front will last twice as long as a rear, so go Dunlop this time and when the front needs it, do both.
At least that's what I'm doing, for the reasons stated above.
And it'll be ME880s when I do.
MegaGlide said it best, just go get another Dunlop and when the front needs replaced it will be time to replace the rear again and then go with what ever brand or sytle or model you want at that time but for the money just buy a rear and for peice of mind keep them matching. So my 2 cents is just go get the dunlop and what do you know that is what the factory put on it to start with so I think you would be able to get another 8300 miles out of it at least. just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
bay13 said:
I guess I just don't like the I do it and get away with it so it's ok. Thats not a very good indorcement, although if you are OK with it I can see why you would think it, but not sure why you would want to convince others it was ok,
I'm not fond of the there's only one way to do something, don't deviate or you will die crowd. That's why I told jawrider my experience with tires. He can take or leave my recommendation, makes no difference to me.

BTW, I said I don't ride as hard as thealien. I didn't say I don't ride hard, just not as hard as he does! Big difference.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CWO2LT

where in St. Louis are you located?
I'm out in Clarkson Valley/Wildwood area
maybe we could meet for a ride sometime

Thanks to everyone for the advice

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
jawrider said:
CWO2LT

where in St. Louis are you located?
I'm out in Clarkson Valley/Wildwood area
maybe we could meet for a ride sometime

Thanks to everyone for the advice
I'm down in Arnold area. Do you know where TJ's is down on 67? They do marble runs a few times a year, maybe we could hook up for one of them.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
C'mon guys, tires are not really expensive IN THE STATES. US$ 100 one tire. Do not be stupid: expensive bike, and you think how to save...what, several dollars? In the whole of Europe we pay (more or less) about US$ 310 for ONE Dunlop 402 MT90B16 tire! Two tires - more than US$ 600! And you calculate how to save few dollars....

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
[email protected]
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it were me I'd get that POS Dunlop off there and put on a decent tyre. Changed both my front and rear with only 5000 miles on them, I changed to Metezler 880's.:whisper:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts