V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to replace the idle cable on my 1999 Ultra.

OK ... I have the factory manual ... looks pretty straight forward, except that the manual mentions that you have to do a partial tank removal to route the new cable ...

Now, to those of you that have replaced this cable do you really have to lift the tank or can you just fish the new cable through without lifting the tank?

Any hints on R&R of this cable? Or for lifting the tank if I end up having to?

Thanks,
R

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had to lift my tank up to fish the cable under it for replacement. :yes:

·
Registered
615 Posts
You can try what I did it worked for me,before pulling out old cable tie a string to the end of it,when you have old one off tie the string to the new cable,use the string to help guide the new cable through until you can grab it..good luck .

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ultra RB said:
Was it difficult or tricky? Time consuming? Any tricks to it?
Not really, only a coulpe of hours for the whole project. Just removed the fuel door assembly from the top of the tank, then removed the two front and one rear mounting bolts. I then lifted the tank up far enough to put a short piece of 2x4 on edge under the front, that gave me more than enough room to get to the cable for replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Texas Tom said:
You can try what I did it worked for me,before pulling out old cable tie a string to the end of it,when you have old one off tie the string to the new cable,use the string to help guide the new cable through until you can grab it..good luck .
Thats how I did it on my RK. Took me less than an hour to replaced it and properly adjust it. Make sure it's adjusted correctly or else you'll get a high idle when you turn the front wheel full lock to the right (I think to the the right...... right?, It's been awhile back can't remember).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the end ...

In the end I successfully used he string technique … both under the tank and also under the faring … a little jigging required but worked like a charm. The biggest hassle was removing the old cable where the metal elbow joins the handlebar housing, that was a bugger to get off, had a set of vise grips on it and a lot of force to get it to release … but once gone the new one snapped in with no prob.

Total time including the adjustment was under 2 hours and the new one works like a charm.

Lubed both cables while I had it all apart.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice.
RB

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
Did your new cable have the little spring clips on it that hold it into the bottom of the throttle? It should have been just as much of a be-yotch to install the new one as it was to remove the old one. I replaced the bars on mine and the new cables didn't come with the new clips so I had to pry them off the old ones. Here is a pic of the new cbale on top with no clip in the groove, and the old cable on the bottom with the clip in the groove:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flyin Brian said:
Did your new cable have the little spring clips on it that hold it into the bottom of the throttle? It should have been just as much of a be-yotch to install the new one as it was to remove the old one. I replaced the bars on mine and the new cables didn't come with the new clips so I had to pry them off the old ones. Here is a pic of the new cbale on top with no clip in the groove, and the old cable on the bottom with the clip in the groove:

The new cable I bought had the clip already on it. I bought the HD part not aftermarket, not sure if that makes a difference. $77 (62 + 15 shipping) for the cable ... that is in Canada ... remember we get ripped for parts here.

The old one just would not budge. In fact I ripped the elbow off of the fitting with vice grips trying to remove it ... I was then able to grip the fitting and wiggle it out. Not sure why it was stuck in there so tightly but it was. The new one just slipped in and snapped into place with hardly any effort.

That was my experience anyways ...
RB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts