V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 FLHTPI and really enjoy the look of it, except for the red switches. I've done a search on this forum and the only option that I found for a replacement was a full conversion (chrome) to civilian, which I don't want to do. Are there any other options, such as replacing them (3 red switches) with black stock ones, found on civilian bikes. I've even heard of a powder coating process (at low heat), but not sure if I can find a place here. A friend suggested Krylon, but I laughed.

Any help, suggestions or experience I would appreciate it.

05FLRIDER

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Your dealer, or about 700 people on here, should have take-off stock black switch assemblies laying around gathering dust. For cheap. Try e-Bay if that doesn't work out.

·
Hockey is my religion
346 Posts
A steady hand, small brush and some black paint and....all gone! That's what I did.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I have an '04 FLHTPI and did away with the red switches earlier this year.

I have seen excellent results brush painting the red switches with Testor flat black paint without disassembling the switch housings.

My choice was different: I went with chrome switch housings, levers, clutch perch, and front master cylinder from Custom Chrome which I bought on ebay from Eastern Perfomance Cycles for $130 new in the box.

You say you don't want chrome; but black ones are even more available and cheaper since you would only be replacing the switch housings, not levers, etc.

If you consider the handlebar switches seperately (left and right), the left switch housing has a red "siren" switch where the "horn" switch would be on a civilian bike. So if you got a civilian switch housing for the "Horn/Hi-Lo/Turn Signal" all you would need is a new switch for the Horn/Hi-Lo to replace what is in your current housing. That's what I did--purchased from HD the switch pair that goes inside the housing and spliced it in to the appropriate wires; then reassembled the housing (using the chrome housing and switch caps; yours would be black). So my left handlebar controls are the same as any civialian/non Electra Glide/Road Glide with a turn signal/horn/hi-lo beam.

The right handlebar control is a little more complicated because you need the "off/run,start, and turn signal" and also the passing lamp/pursuit lamp switch. I used the same three switch civilian housings typical of non EG/RG Harleys and moved the passing/pursuit lamp switch to where it is on civilain Electra Glides--the fairing cap.

So, from Harley I puchased replacement "horn/hi-lo" switch; "spot" rocker switch and appropriate wire connectors.

No more red switches; very neat chrome controls for the handlebar, and a cost of less than $300.

It is all very easy to do with a Police Service Manual Supplement in hand showing the wiring diagrams. If you paid someone to do this it might take two hours of labor; everything is very straightforward.

But if you want, go with the brush painting--the several I have seen turned out extremely well; but, I prefer the chrome, three-switch per side set-up I have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I just may have to try the paint idea, since it is the cheapest and least time consuming. Since getting rid of my FXSTI a few months ago, I vowed not to spend too much money on vanity items like I did with the Softail. We'll see if I can keep that up. Besides, I'm going to be dropping a few dollars for the Retro Radio package shortly.

05FLRIDER

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just buy new switch assemblies on EBAY. Keep in mind that you will need to adapt to different connectors. Th OEM red switches will have a 12 pin connector and the new ones may have a 6 pin. At least mine did, w/o radio or cruise. I got l/h and r/h for 60 dollars brand new take off.

Trax

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did this on an 02 flhpi about six weeks ago. It was very simple project if you own a soldering iron or a crack torch and basic mechanical skills. Your dealer has black takeoff switch housings, you should be able to get a set from the service manager at no charge... (if you can't send me a pm and I'll send you a set for the cost of postage). As I remember, on the Road King I only needed to buy the horn switch to replace the horn siren switch (but I may be wrong). Do it yourself and get it done right!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have RED switches?

Hi, I just bought my 05 Road King and the dealer broke off my pursuit switch. Any ideas where I can get a new one and/or the part number?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
10 yrs old is much better but still not a record.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I have a '12 King Police. The red switches are part of the bike overall, just like the pucks and PoPo emblems and badges are. I wouldn't change any of'm.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Krylon Fusion for plastic.

I kept my red switches and 'repurposed' them. They keep the cop bikes character.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts