V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb ass questions coming. I got the cometic kit for R&R of primary. C9888. There are three big orings. One is for derby. One is for between primary and engine, the big opening in front of primary cover. What is the 3rd for??

Also came with three washers with orings inside of. About the size of locking washers, but only three not five. Front of boxes states contains 3-hd cover /overfill seals. Is this for derbys on evos?

For the seal on the mainshaft. There was oring under the seal. Do I reuse this or is built into the new seal. I removed seal with screw driver, was planning to install with socket and mallet, oil it up. OK?

Appreciate the help.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. After wiping oil of what I though was the oring on main shaft, it looks like cable that is installed on new one. Not a cable but not sure what to call it. Feel better there. So ok to just tap in with socket? Was not plannin gon repalcing bearing.

What about jack shaft seal? Kit did not come with new bushing? Reusable? What about 3rd big oring and three washers with orings built in.

Thanks.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also the kit came with two orings, about 3/4 diameter. Is this a duh thing? But I don't remember any small orings in the primary. The kit is for 94 and up, is this for a differant year?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok-guessing/hoping two large orings, 5-6"diameter are for diferant years?? Evo/TC
what about two 3/4" orings and three washers with oring inside of??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Not sure which post to answer first. The two large o-rings that are not for the derby will be for the alternator area. The really thin one is for early bikes. The washers with rubber in the middle are for the derby cover screws. You can tap the mainshaft seal in until it is flush and you are done. There should be an x-ring that goes under the pulley spacer also. There may be a couple different jackshaft seals they changed around '94. The bushing should be fine as long as the plastic like coating on it(teflon?) looks in good shape..........Bill

·
Registered
297 Posts
The "cable" is really a spring to help the seal keep contact with the surface it is sealing against. If it comes out you can just put it back in. Don't stretch it.....Bill

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nauipro said:
There should be an x-ring that goes under the pulley spacer also.
Not sure what you mean here? Pulley? x-ring? Thanks for help.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The two 3/4" orings are for sealing the tube on mid-shift models where the support tube goes into the inspection cover. I think that's all of the questions.Good luck!.....Bill

·
Registered
297 Posts
berserker said:
Not sure what you mean here? Pulley? x-ring? Thanks for help.
Sorry, I thought that you were under the final drive pulley. If you are only doing the primary mainshaft seal then you don't need to worry about it......Bill

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nauipro said:
Sorry, I thought that you were under the final drive pulley. If you are only doing the primary mainshaft seal then you don't need to worry about it......Bill
Good. I got enough to worry about getting this back together. Thanks.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
berserker said:
Good. I got enough to worry about getting this back together. Thanks.

My 2004 Ultra came with a paper disk for a derby cover gasket. I understand that HD quit using the O-ring at the derby area. I would prefer the O-ring myself but what do I know? I slept at home last night. :)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My derby is good, so I think I will save it. They do use paper for inspection and it seems ok. I have had to tighten in though. Never had to with derby.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The mainshaft seal went in a little uneven. Pretty close now, but still little off. About 1/16 below surface. Manual says to press in until contact retain ring. Should I just keep tapping and see if it bottoms out evenly? I am already screwed? I am guessing seal will be wreck if I pull it out. Orginal is.

Any tips? I started off using socket and mallet. Now supporting bearing on clutch side with socket and tapping on old seal. No good way to support bearing and primary. Socket is deeper then primary.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like it is pretty even now. How sensitive is this? I culd put a straight edge across and use feeler gauge? Am I being to anal?
I oiled it up before putting it in. Manual says to oil after in. Did I cause it slip in uneven?

·
Registered
297 Posts
berserker said:
Looks like it is pretty even now. How sensitive is this? I culd put a straight edge across and use feeler gauge? Am I being to anal?
I oiled it up before putting it in. Manual says to oil after in. Did I cause it slip in uneven?
You just want oil on it so that when you start it it's not dry on the race. Sounds like you are good to go. The "flush reference" was when I thought you were doing a tranny mainshaft seal. My mistake......Bill

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New question.
On the jackshaft seal, I see the big bushing in primary, about 1 3/8" at opening on clutch side. Manual says to replace. Is there an reason too?

Can I tap sealout from transmision side into clutch side? Then just tap new one in? Why does the manual say to grease after in? Wouldn't it slide in better greased?

·
Registered
297 Posts
berserker said:
New question.
On the jackshaft seal, I see the big bushing in primary, about 1 3/8" at opening on clutch side. Manual says to replace. Is there an reason too?

Can I tap sealout from transmision side into clutch side? Then just tap new one in? Why does the manual say to grease after in? Wouldn't it slide in better greased?
The large bushing with the teflon coating supports the jackshaft and does not need to be replaced unless it is worn or damaged. This is seldom necessary. The seal for the jackshaft goes in from the clutch side so you can tap it out from the starter side with a punch, no problem...Bill

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For tapping it back in, should apply oil? I would think it would slide better. But manual says to oil after you put it in. But they are using press too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
berserker said:
For tapping it back in, should apply oil? I would think it would slide better. But manual says to oil after you put it in. But they are using press too.
I have no problem with that. Just a touch of lube on the outside of the seal and the bore that it goes in.......Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.