V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 2 part question.

1. My 81 Lowrider has one of the bolt tabs cracked off the innter cover(has been since I bought it) and I just bought a new inner cover to replace it. I was wanting to get some tips on replacing the cover. I'm assuming I may need a new gasket set also. I guess my main concerns are getting the belt sprockets and clutch hub and all that. I do know that the nut on the clutch hub is reverse thread and I've had all the clutch packs in and out many times.

2. If I am not mistaken, that bike would have come from the factory with a chain primary drive. Mine has a belt (Drag Specialties I think) it was there also when I bought it. I understand that belts are supposed to be quieter and smoother, but would it benifeit me to try to go back to chain? It seems to be chewing belts pretty badly. Mebbe replacing the inner cover will fix this problem also. Would I have to get yet another inner cover to go back to chain or is it the same one for belt or chain?

Also, is it REALLY necissary to have a vented outer cover when running belt drive or could I get a solid one. I kinda like the looks of the solid ones, but the one on it now is vented.

I'm still learning about these beasts as you can tell, but I'm having a great time doing it. And I am not afraid to turn the wrenches.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi again !
First of all, I'm not having any experience with belt-drives.
From this what I heard ,I personally, would not use belt on the primary.
1.Usually there is no compensating-sprocket
Without it the full "ripping-force" of the gearbox (when shifting down e.g.) is hitting the crankshaft (and therefore its bearings and evtl. the seals).
I know two outstanding H-D mechanics who discourage using it, actually who refuse giving warranty when the customer is insisting on it
2.The adjustment MUST be correct
3.You need vents for the cooling
4.Those belts are breaking without a warning
5.Those guys I know using a belt ,combined it with a Barnett Kevlar Clutch (more $$$)
6. I once testrode a Shovel with a primary belt
It' s not a smoother ride , just the contrary
7. H-D put in a chain for how long ? It works !

Many old Triumphs are equipped with a belt, no sweat here.

ray

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I've been hearing too..

They put them on from the factory for a reason basically.

Unfortunately.. I have not the cashflow to convert back at this time.. Maybe over the winter I can get that done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Belts are fine if maintained correctly. The factory did produce several shovel motors with a belt primarys. So you may want to check that out. To make sure what model you do have check a factory workshop manual against you frame and engine numbers. There's a table in the front section.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
to change to a chain you need to make sure what primary covers are on it because there is a difference between the factory chain and belt inner and outer and the starter shaft is different as well. belts are somewhat smother but not much compared to a properly adjusted chain, the biggest advantage to a chain is longevity . the belts acording to harley would appear to be good for about 20 to 25k where as the chain should give atleast 50k miles if not 100k . if you stick with the belt you can use solid primary covers and use the louvered inspection and derby covers they look clean and keep it cool inside. hope this helps, if you need any more info let me know as i have switched between chain and belt a few times including changing a older shovel to a 81 fxb drive primary and secondary, and beleive me they don't just bolt on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.