V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a few questions, I am going to replace my stock grips for some diamond plate grips. I read a few posts on doing it and it seems like I can handle it (never did it ) Is it as cut and dry as the posts? Any good ideas?
Second, I will be replacing the stock levers with black ones. That seems like a easy job. Any info would be great.
Thanks alot for all your guys help!
:chopper:

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Both items are straight forward and easy to do with basic tools. When replacing the throttle grip, make sure the throttle tensioner stays in place.

·
ezpass
37 Posts
I would recommend getting a service manual for your bike, if you don't already have one. This is money well spent. Like TX said, both are fairly straight forward but there are a couple of tricky parts in there that can jump out at you. Make sure that before you work on the throttle side, depress the brake lever and place a piece of cardboard in the opening.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Fairly easy job, but the thing you have to WATCH OUT FOR is breaking off the brake light switch in the right switch housing. Seen this happen way too many times by people trying it the first time.

I'm a tech, and instead of using the cardboard insertion technique mentioned by pcma (and the service manual), i prefer to just pull the brake lever completely.

Read the instruction that come with your levers on how to change them. Do the removal part, then go ahead and change the grips out. Once grips are installed, then do the installation part using the new levers.

Be extra careful with the little brass ferules, they're easy to drop and lose. Also the friction plate (half moon plastic thing on the bottom) is easy to lose.

Definitely recommend the service manual.

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the GREAT replies. I do have the service manual and have been looking at it. I will be doing both of these projects VERY soon.
Thanks again.

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the levers and grips done last night.
The levers were VERY easy (10 minutes a piece)
The grips took alittle longer. The left one was easy the throttle one was abit difficult. Those damn brass fittings are a pain. But I got them both done and they look GREAT! Glad I did it my self and saved some $$$$. Will put up some pics later today.
Thanks for all of you guys help.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
There. Now doesn't that feel good? Now get to work on that engine!! Two words.......PERFORMANCE PARTS!!!!! :woohoo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts